[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:36 PM.
So California
6,184 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by GeezerCouple
We often plan and reserve specific suites that we prefer, 1-2 years in advance, and Hurtigruten changed (for USA reservations anyway) such that 20% deposit is NOT refundable anymore.
There are sometimes only 2 or 4 suites of the type we'd want, for example, and they can "go" shortly after reservations open. (That was the case on our Hurtigruten RT last month, booked ages in advance, but they hadn't yet changed the deposit policy back when we reserved. There was a much smaller sort of administrative fee that would have been forfeited, not nearly as punative, but also effective immediately upon booking.)

20% of a large number is still a relatively large number to forfeit, if, for example, DH ends up finding out there is a conference he needs to go to. He ordinarily wouldn't know 1-2 years in advance, more like 6-12 months in advance.

Most other lines have a fully refundable deposit until 3-6 months prior to sailing date (for suites; shorter time for other cabins).

So we are curious what the "Norwegian terms" are.

Thanks.

GC

BUT...BIG But...if you book using the Norwegian site do you still get the Norwegian price. As I read you can save 20-30%
USA
3,298 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Hawaiidan
BUT...BIG But...if you book using the Norwegian site do you still get the Norwegian price. As I read you can save 20-30%
But, But, But...
... IF we need to cancel, perhaps 6 months prior to sailing date, will we still lose 20%?

That could be thousands (of USA dollars), IF it is the same cancellation policy for the deposit, as it is when booked from the USA.

We are not referring to a medically necessary cancellation, in which case, of course, our travel insurance would cover it.

However, it is not too uncommon for us to need to cancel (or reschedule, which almost always has the same effect on deposits) in the time period during the approximately 4-8 months before final payment.

And the specific suite(s) we'd want is very rarely available just a few months before departure date.
(We once got a great suite about 2 months before sailing; someone must have needed to cancel after final payment, because there had been no availability for the previous few months. We sometimes "watch" a special cruise/suite if we realize we'd be able to go, just in case... So far, only once has something we wanted opened up on short notice. But it's obviously worth watching!)

So my underlying question remains: If one books through Norway/HQ (rather than "in the USA"), is there still the 20% deposit that is totally *non*-refundable from the moment it is paid, be it 18 days or 18 months prior to sailing date?

GC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

GeezerCouple [at] yahoo [dot] com
So California
6,184 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Actually, my Chase/visa/UAL card covers, medical evac, and trip interruption as well as cancellation. for medical reasons, or if your flight is late and you miss the ship, lost luggage, up to $ 10,000 pp This coverage is for all travel expenses/trips on which you have charged on your Chase Visa..

For my wants I would pick an inside as I do not intend to be in the cabin except to sleep and shower. I used to go for verandas and PH class but enjoyed an inside just as much.. But thats my choice and since the ship is anything but opulent and is just a ferry in reality, I dont see the point. Sort of like requesting the Presidential Suite at a Motel 6. ..Why?
UK
1,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Peal
Also does anyone know if they charge an extra fee on Credit Card transactions? UK site charges 1.5%, but can't find any fees on the Norwegian site.
It's illegal in the UK for companies to make a charge for using a credit card.
Denmark
2,291 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by digitl
It's illegal in the UK for companies to make a charge for using a credit card.
When paying with a EU credit card (EU rule) - does not apply to Norway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 25 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 22 ships and 110 Ports - Two future cruises. Voyager of the Seas from Singapore to Hong Kong and Jewel of the Seas from Rome to Dubai.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017. Serenade Wetern Caribbean November 2017, Uniworld River Cruise April 2018.
UK
1,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by hallasm
When paying with a EU credit card (EU rule) - does not apply to Norway.
Thanks, but sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

Does the UK law not apply because we would be paying a Norwegian company?

Or does it not apply if we in the UK use an 'EU' credit card (but what is an EU credit card)?
So California
6,184 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by digitl
Thanks, but sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

Does the UK law not apply because we would be paying a Norwegian company?

Or does it not apply if we in the UK use an 'EU' credit card (but what is an EU credit card)?

Did not UK leave the EU, and would that thus change things? Glad to hear that UK prevents add on charges The Aussies will nail you both with added charges AND make you pay in advance, in full for hotels booked in advance !!!.
Denmark
2,291 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Did not UK leave the EU, and would that thus change things? Glad to hear that UK prevents add on charges The Aussies will nail you both with added charges AND make you pay in advance, in full for hotels booked in advance !!!.

Sorry for NOT being clear. I ment a credit card issued in an EU country. To my knowledge UK is still part of EU. Yet another year the EU rules will apply to UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past cruises: 25 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 22 ships and 110 Ports - Two future cruises. Voyager of the Seas from Singapore to Hong Kong and Jewel of the Seas from Rome to Dubai.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017. Serenade Wetern Caribbean November 2017, Uniworld River Cruise April 2018.
UK
1,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Did not UK leave the EU, and would that thus change things?
Not yet, but we're working on it. 29 March 2019 is the day we leave but there will almost certainly be a transition period.

Glad to hear that UK prevents add on charges
It was long overdue, though some smaller outlets are finding it difficult to, in effect, absorb the fee the credit card companies charge.
UK
1,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sorry for NOT being clear. I ment a credit card issued in an EU country. To my knowledge UK is still part of EU.
Ah, many thanks for the clarification!

Yet another year the EU rules will apply to UK.
Yes, but the end is (almost) nigh!
New York, NY
26 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
With no warning, it appears that Hurtigruten.no is redirecting American visitors to the hurtigruten.us site; it is impossible to access hurtigruten.no here. Yet, at the same time, it is still possible to visit other country websites (UK, DE, DK, SE, etc.). Very strange. Shady even. Very, very shady. I can understand slight variations in pricing due to currency fluctuations. But the US website pricing is generally 30%+ higher than the NO website. Also, most importantly, there are some trips that are simply not offered on the U.S. website (such as the Svalbard trip I booked for August). I guess they really don't want Americans on their trips since they are singling out Americans to pay more while offering fewer trips. Well, I guess this will be my last trip on Hurtigruten and I hope other Americans get the word that their money and participation are not welcome. Admittedly, the Hurtigruten itineraries and NOK pricing were wonderful, but they are certainly not the only game in town. There are plenty of other trip organizers willing to take my money without making me feel like I'm being penalized for being American.

BOYCOTT HURTIGRUTEN
UK
1,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
And for more than a few years UK (and, I believe, Australian) travellers have been charged more than US travellers for identical trips on quite a number of cruise lines.
USA
3,298 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by hejiranyc
With no warning, it appears that Hurtigruten.no is redirecting American visitors to the hurtigruten.us site; it is impossible to access hurtigruten.no here. Yet, at the same time, it is still possible to visit other country websites (UK, DE, DK, SE, etc.). Very strange. Shady even. Very, very shady. I can understand slight variations in pricing due to currency fluctuations. But the US website pricing is generally 30%+ higher than the NO website. Also, most importantly, there are some trips that are simply not offered on the U.S. website (such as the Svalbard trip I booked for August). I guess they really don't want Americans on their trips since they are singling out Americans to pay more while offering fewer trips. Well, I guess this will be my last trip on Hurtigruten and I hope other Americans get the word that their money and participation are not welcome. Admittedly, the Hurtigruten itineraries and NOK pricing were wonderful, but they are certainly not the only game in town. There are plenty of other trip organizers willing to take my money without making me feel like I'm being penalized for being American.

BOYCOTT HURTIGRUTEN
Are you able to access a non-USA website for Hurtigruten using a VPN?

Also, which Svalbard cruise is not showing on the USA website?
We've been interested in one, so I just checked, and there are quite a few variations showing.

Thanks!

Not that this is necessarily a proper "excuse", but in some cases (with other cruise lines, anyway), the prices may be different, but so are the "terms". Some of that seems to be due to different local regulations, so it might be the same for Hurtigruten.

GC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

New York, NY
26 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Are you able to access a non-USA website for Hurtigruten using a VPN?

Also, which Svalbard cruise is not showing on the USA website?
We've been interested in one, so I just checked, and there are quite a few variations showing.

Thanks!

Not that this is necessarily a proper "excuse", but in some cases (with other cruise lines, anyway), the prices may be different, but so are the "terms". Some of that seems to be due to different local regulations, so it might be the same for Hurtigruten.

GC
I am able to access all of the non-US Hurtigruten sites... with the glaring exception of NO. I am booked for the 6-day western Svalbard voyage which you will not see on the US site. And I don't believe that it is some kind of Norsk-only trip because it is offered on all of the other European country sites (so the tours will be given in English, German and Norwegian, as usual). And it's not like they are offering special country-specific airplane arrangements because all flights to Svalbard originate or connect through Norway. Also, I don't think local regulations are an excuse. They were certainly willing to take my registration for the cruise booked through the NO site a couple of months ago. In a nutshell, you are subject to the terms and conditions that you agree to at the time of booking (i.e., subject to Norwegian regulations), regardless of your country of origin. A few years ago I booked a flight to Copenhagen on Norwegian Airlines and my checked luggage never arrived (for an 11-day trip!). Needless to say, I spent a lot of money having to buy/wash clothes and toiletries. If this happened in the U.S., by federal regulation, airlines have minimum requirements for compensating passengers in the event of delayed/missing luggage, i.e., covering all reasonable, verifiable expenses. After almost two weeks of shopping daily for inexpensive T-shirts and washing my socks in the sink, I still ended up submitting receipts for over $250 to Norwegian. Under Norwegian law, claimants not only need to submit receipts. They also need to send the actual purchased clothing items too! To Norway! To add insult to injury, any compensation they provide is through wire transfer only, and they impose a $15 fee to do this. Needless to say, after two weeks of suffering and having to buy everything, an international telephone call and some tense emails, I netted $32 in compensation. Anyway... the moral to the story is that if you do business with Norwegian businesses, you are operating under their terms and conditions. Buyer beware!
USA
3,298 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
I am able to access all of the non-US Hurtigruten sites... with the glaring exception of NO. I am booked for the 6-day western Svalbard voyage which you will not see on the US site. And I don't believe that it is some kind of Norsk-only trip because it is offered on all of the other European country sites (so the tours will be given in English, German and Norwegian, as usual). And it's not like they are offering special country-specific airplane arrangements because all flights to Svalbard originate or connect through Norway. Also, I don't think local regulations are an excuse. They were certainly willing to take my registration for the cruise booked through the NO site a couple of months ago. In a nutshell, you are subject to the terms and conditions that you agree to at the time of booking (i.e., subject to Norwegian regulations), regardless of your country of origin. A few years ago I booked a flight to Copenhagen on Norwegian Airlines and my checked luggage never arrived (for an 11-day trip!). Needless to say, I spent a lot of money having to buy/wash clothes and toiletries. If this happened in the U.S., by federal regulation, airlines have minimum requirements for compensating passengers in the event of delayed/missing luggage, i.e., covering all reasonable, verifiable expenses. After almost two weeks of shopping daily for inexpensive T-shirts and washing my socks in the sink, I still ended up submitting receipts for over $250 to Norwegian. Under Norwegian law, claimants not only need to submit receipts. They also need to send the actual purchased clothing items too! To Norway! To add insult to injury, any compensation they provide is through wire transfer only, and they impose a $15 fee to do this. Needless to say, after two weeks of suffering and having to buy everything, an international telephone call and some tense emails, I netted $32 in compensation. Anyway... the moral to the story is that if you do business with Norwegian businesses, you are operating under their terms and conditions. Buyer beware!
Huh?

You need to submit the receipts for the replacement clothing AND send the new clothing, too?
And then they are supposed to send you the money... so... you can go back out and purchase duplicates of the replacement clothing?

??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

Denmark
2,291 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I am able to access all of the non-US Hurtigruten sites... with the glaring exception of NO!

If you go to the menu page you can select any language or currency including NO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New York, NY
26 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Huh?

You need to submit the receipts for the replacement clothing AND send the new clothing, too?
And then they are supposed to send you the money... so... you can go back out and purchase duplicates of the replacement clothing?

??
I applied for compensation AFTER I returned home from my trip. I submitted my receipts (through email) as requested. But then I received an e-mail that I had to send the clothing items in too (to Norway)! Supposedly they donate it to charity. Whatever. Needless to say, I didn't get any compensation for clothing due to Norwegian's complete and utter incompetence.
New York, NY
26 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
If you go to the menu page you can select any language or currency including NO.

No, that doesn't work. It might work from your location, but selecting NOK brings me back to the US site. If I ever decide to book Hurtigruten again (probably not), I had better do it while I am in Norway in a few months.
Denmark
2,291 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
No, that doesn't work. It might work from your location, but selecting NOK brings me back to the US site. If I ever decide to book Hurtigruten again (probably not), I had better do it while I am in Norway in a few months.
I’m able to get all sites from the locations I have tried within Europe. Might be different in the US.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

91 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
I know I'm late to the game on this thread, but has anyone from the U.S. (or another country where prices are higher) tried booking a Hurtigruten cruise on the UK or global site? It's shocking how much higher prices are in the U.S., sometimes as much as 40% more. I understand that I'd be bound by the rules are of the country I book with, but will Hurtigruten stop a U.S.-based passenger from booking on their European sites?