Wifi Security Question

packedandready

Is the wifi secure enough to pay a couple of bills while on board? We've never been on a cruise long enough for this to be an issue so trying to decide how to handle this.

I agree with the others that public WiFi is not secure enough for banking transactions. I use online bill pay to schedule my payments before I leave home. I prefer this over allowing utilities or other billers to directly debit my checking account. On the rare occasions I don’t have an exact figure for a bill before I leave, I make an educated prediction and add a bit more. I’ve thus overpaid a bill on occasion, but the biller simply gives me a credit on the subsequent bill.

Public Wifi is fine if the connection is (as was previously stated) https. The little lock icon in the address bar. The encryption in that case is between your laptop (or phone/tablet/etc) and the server, so going through unprotected Wifi isn't a problem since no one in the middle can see the contents.

Don't do it from the cruise line's computers, since they could have malware on them set up to steal passwords and accounts; only from your own devices that you trust.

It’s funny the differing views! But this is a complex subject and internet security is constantly changing and evolving.

I work for an internet service provider, consider myself knowledgeable (but no expert) about WiFi.

Basically, you are probably safe on an https connection provided the certificates are valid and you DO NOT simply click through any warnings.

I suppose someone on the ship might try to initiate what is called a man in the middle attack, but it’s extremely unlikely in my opinion, most cruisers seem affluent, honest, and clean living folks. So not likely one of your cruise buddies is stalking you anyway.

If you can, avoid any financial transactions on open WiFi, but if you MUST, watch for https in the browser bar, and for an additional layer of protection consider a vpn

If you decide to go the VPN route, here is a good article: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

I'm thinking of signing up for one myself.

I get people thinking that most cruisers are upstanding citizens, maybe I'm just getting old. I've seen too many people over the years that were rich AND scammers. I might be a little sensitive about this, since my wife just had someone to try scam a few thousand from one of her cc.

But you are correct, it is a personal choice.

If you decide to go the VPN route, here is a good article: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

I get people thinking that most cruisers are upstanding citizens, maybe I'm just getting old. I've seen too many people over the years that were rich AND scammers. I might be a little sensitive about this, since my wife just had someone to try scam a few thousand from one of her cc.

I always use a VPN when we travel. It seems like a sensible precaution, it’s easy and it doesn’t have to be expensive.

As an IT manager with many years of experience legally remotely controlling computers in an industrial environment across the internet, people may find this web site interesting

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/be-aware-of-the-threat-of-hidden-keystroke-logging-devices-86829/

here's an extract:

"For example, using an encrypted link (i.e., HTTPS rather than HTTP) to access bank or e-mail online is a good way to encrypt the transmission of private information as it flows across the Internet. However, it's vital to remember that the encryption process doesn't take place until the information leaves the machine. This creates a vulnerability that some people may not be aware of — keystroke logging. Keystroke loggers are a dangerous security threat, particularly because — like other forms of spyware — the user can't detect their presence"

I would never use an insecure network for banking etc, although as others have said I doubt there are many malicious people aboard cruise ships that can be bothered to hack or remote a passengers pc.

Are there many malicious people onboard cruise ships looking to hack into your computer? Doubtful. But doesn't it only take one? And being 'affluent' is not a protection against crime. And if you use the affluent argument to console yourself, consider that in addition to the thousands of 'affluent' passengers onboard there are even more thousands of definitely nowhere close to affluent crew members onboard, also with access to the wifi. And I am very, very far from an expert in IT matters, but cannot internet be accessed remotely? Or what is to prevent someone from picking up a virus or something when they go onshore and use free wifi, and then connect to the wifi onboard? Look at all the hacking that has taken place on large retail stores or banks with very sophisticated (presumably) software systems. Why take a chance and access any banking information on a public wifi system?? Just not smart IMHO. Set up automated bill pay, pre-pay, or ask a trusted friend or relative to pay the bill for you while you are gone.

As an IT manager with many years of experience legally remotely controlling computers in an industrial environment across the internet, people may find this web site interesting

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/be-aware-of-the-threat-of-hidden-keystroke-logging-devices-86829/

here's an extract:

"For example, using an encrypted link (i.e., HTTPS rather than HTTP) to access bank or e-mail online is a good way to encrypt the transmission of private information as it flows across the Internet. However, it's vital to remember that the encryption process doesn't take place until the information leaves the machine. This creates a vulnerability that some people may not be aware of — keystroke logging. Keystroke loggers are a dangerous security threat, particularly because — like other forms of spyware — the user can't detect their presence"

I would never use an insecure network for banking etc, although as others have said I doubt there are many malicious people aboard cruise ships that can be bothered to hack or remote a passengers pc.

Are you saying it is not safe to use ones personal phone, tablet or laptop onboard because a keystroke logger can be remotely installed and operated by someone else on the wifi without my knowing? Obviously it is not safe to use the ship provided PC's. Thanks.

Note that not all VPNs work on cruise ships.

Robert

Note that not all VPNs work on cruise ships.

Robert

Even the ones that work will slow down the connection, so that’s something to be aware of. Now that Celebrity has faster internet, the slowing is not as much of a problem as is has been in the past.