[ketchikan] bering sea crab fisherman tour VS wilderness exploration and crab feast

peach_cruise

Anyone done these shore excursion? which one is better??

the price is similar about 169-179$.

I want to choose one for my first time alaska. My group include 9adults and 6seniors(55-60years old).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done both excursions and prefer the Crab fishing for the photo opportunities to capture lots and lots of eagles as they swoop down from the trees. If you are a fan of the TV series, "Deadliest Catch," you will love this excursion. This is my favorite of the two choices.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-fishing/

The crab feast and wilderness exploration has a single crab pot with a crab that is passed around for all to touch. If you are an all-you-can-eat fresh crab lover, this is perfect. The feasting portion is my second favorite.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-feasting/

Tough choice indeed.

I booked the Bering sea crab tour on Friday for May... was down as sold out on their site but booked through viator. My husband has always watched deadliest catch so its my 'expensive' excursion for this trip!

as the reply above said, if you love DC its a must do!

• 1 year later...

Just returned yesterday from the Celebrity Millenium, southbound from Seward to Vancouver. Did the Bering Sea trip and it was wonderful. Passed around different kinds of crabs for everyone to hold. But for me, the highlight was the eagles. They throw bait fish into the water and there are probably 40 eagles that swoop down right beside the boat. Amazing. Very interesting to see how they use the crab pots and to hear the stories of the men who have been on the Alleutian Ballad.

We just return from on the Coral Princess and took the Deadliest Catch tour we thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife who was not a Deadliest Catch fan thought she was going to be board was amazed at how entertaining it was. Plus the Eagles were amazing. Some photos below.

27969220367_73a6102047_o.jpg

42119558114_3916e895f3_o.jpg

27952279947_0aee4e2891_o.jpg

28948327518_de99def395_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just did Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast last week and loved it! Gorgeous views, awesome photos with the eagles, Captain Rusty and Amy were great on the boat. But the crab feast was amazing. Emily in the lodge was very fun teaching us crab cracking and it really was all you can eat!

Definitely do the DEADLIEST CATCH tour-do it on your own if you have to-one of the best tours our family has taken in 15 years of cruising-great for all ages! Our four grown sons still are talking about what a great time they had when we took this tour 10 years ago! You definitely won't regret it!

I also have experienced the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour and truly enjoyed it. Being aboard an actual boat that once was used in the industry and hearing the stories from some of the crew that worked on the boat or in the industry added a great deal to the tour experience. Seeing the wildlife and handling some of the sea life that they hauled in was a plus as well. Well worth the money!

Just got back on Saturday. My wife and I did the Bering Sea Crab tour and my brother and his wife did the Wilderness Exploration and crab feast. Based on our comparisons and pictures, it was no contest...Bering Sea Crab tour was the winner. I will say that even it was a little kitschy with the "rubber king crabs" in one of the pots. The highlights were actually that we got to see tons of eagles (they throw fish in the water and you will see at least a dozen...maybe two eagles swooping down to grab them), and happened to catch a whale as a bonus.

Been on 2 Alaska cruises & Wilderness Explorer & Crab Feast is in our top 3 excursions. Hard to beat all you can eat Dungeness crab. Eagles swoop down within 10-20 feet from this small boat you are in. Had fewer than 20 people on our boat.