Packing Guide for Alaska

alainamarie

I'm embarking on my 2nd cruise to Alaska and I keep noticing a trend on social media and Cruise Critic - "WHAT DO I PACK?!"

My upcoming cruise is 9 nights with 6 ports and 2 sea days. I also want to make a little disclaimer - I do not have to fly as I currently live in Seattle and will be taking the train back from Vancouver. So needless to say, luggage weight is not an issue for me this time.

Here I am in Canada (via Skagway) at the beautiful Emerald Lake.

enhance

My first cruise to Alaska was 5/26/16 and I scoured the internet for YouTube videos & packing lists on what to pack/how to pack. I wanted to make this blog post and transfer this onto Cruise Critic in hopes it helps others. This will be my 9th cruise overall, but packing for Alaska is a much different beast than warm-weather cruises.

If you take away ONE thing from this post, it's that you should always pack in layers no matter what month you visit Alaska via the seas. The most important layer is your outermost layer - your rain layer.

Rain Jacket

This is my North Face rain jacket/wind breaker (not featured: the hood). Make sure you have a rain-proof jacket because this will be your best friend. Depending on what time of the year you visit Alaska, you may only need this layer on top of your clothes.

enhance

Coat

Next layer I use when it's not raining - this is my Patagonia Nano Puff jacket. It looks really thick, but it's really lightweight and keeps you warm when you are out on deck glacier watching. (not featured: the hood, I promise it's there!)

I don't recommend a heavy coat, but definitely have a thicker layer handy if you plan to be exposed to the elements (sightseeing on deck or have an excursion planned that may require some warmth).

enhance

Jacket

I don't travel without my North Face fleece. This piece right here is a lifetime investment, just like the rain jacket. I wear this on planes, at home, and most certainly, in Alaska. You'll see me wearing this indoors or when it's a little chilly (and not raining) outdoors. Invest in a good one, it will last you a lifetime!

enhance

Outerwear

These are a couple pieces of light-weight active wear that I take with me for chilly indoor/outdoor tempts when I don't have to worry about rain. I tend to lounge around in yoga pants/work out pants and these two items go perfectly when it's a little cold. I don't think it's necessary to bring two for a 9 night cruise, but it's pretty hard to choose between the two.

enhance

enhance

Flyaways

I know men have no idea what this word means, but the ladies know the value of a solid flyaway. I also love cardigans, but find myself purchasing more flyaways as they are typically thicker and more useful (in my opinion).

enhance

Speaking of flyaways, I have two others that I'm wearing on embarkation day and the first sea day. I've paired them with the shirt I'll wear underneath so you can see where I'm going with layering. I'll be able to re-wear any of these 3 flyaways as a layering piece later in the week.

See where I keep going with this? LAYERING!!!

Embarkation day shirt/flyaway -

enhance

First sea day -

enhance

Tops

Now that you are starting to get the picture with building layers, let's discuss tops.

I have a few "extra" tops to wear with jeans/capris for sea days and just in case. You never know what you are going to feel like wearing, so I like options. The good thing about tops is they typically do not take up a lot of room, so it doesn't hurt to pack a few extra options.

*Note: I am not a light packer!

I do plan to wear one of these tops en route to the hotel on the day prior to embarkation, so one will not get packed. I will wear jean capris the day before and the day of embarkation.

*Note: pack different colors so it feels like you have a lot of options.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

(This longer, black top is going with blue LuLaRoe bottoms for debarkation day; it will be a long travel day!)

Sweaters

Let's move on to my port day outfits. Because I have no idea how the weather is going to turn out, I am planning to wear a short-sleeved shirt under a lightweight sweater. I tend to be hot-natured, but weather in Alaska in late May is unpredictable. This pairing really worked on my previous cruise, so why try to fix something that's not broken?

Plus, if you get hot, take off the sweater.

*Please note the layering!

Red sweater; paired with a black t-shirt.

enhance

enhance

Blue/white striped sweater; paired with a wild orange shirt.

enhance

enhance

Now that we have established an everyday look, let's talk about night time. I personally prefer to shower and change into something a little dressier at night. Alaskan cruises tend to be more casual, so do not be surprised when you see a dining room full of jeans (and possibly even shorts).

We booked a 6 night specialty dining plan, so I wanted to be sure I had enough dresses plus an extra. I'm also packing a few blouses to pair with jeans for the nights I won't feel like putting on a dress. We plan to eat outside of the ship while in Victoria, so there will only be 2 nights in which we do not have reservations. We will likely try out the sushi place or MDR those 2 nights.

*Note - I dress up the more causal dresses up with jewelry & shoes.

Evening Attire

2 swing dresses from Old Navy

enhance

enhance

A couple of simple dresses from Old Navy

enhance

Shoes

Now that you have reached this point, you've probably wondered about shoes. I once brought 11 pairs of shoes onto ONE 9 night cruise. You heard me right, ELEVEN! (Never again!!)

I know I am not a minimalist, but I have really cut back on shoes.

To go with dresses and evening attire, I have a couple of options depending on if I want to dress up or down an outfit.

Dressier option

enhance

Casual option

enhance

Everyday shoes for ports and walking around the ship.

These are my Bobs - I LOVE these and will wear them the most of all my shoes. They are slip on and make walking easy. I do not recommend walking long distances as they do not offer the back support that tennis shoes do.

enhance

These are my Columbia water shoes. I know they are not pretty, but I love them. They offer a little more back support than flip flops and will be great for trekking in wet areas.

enhance

Last, but not least, the one thing you should not leave your home without (besides a rain jacket!).... TENNIS SHOES!! Or any good pair of walking shoes. These are my old tennis shoes (By Asics), I may bring my newer pair instead.

enhance

Bottoms

I didn't feel that pictures were necessary for bottoms, so I'll just make a list of what I'm packing.

- 2 pairs of jeans

- 1 pair of jean capris (wearing on pre-cruise day, embarkation day, and possible on the ship)

- 3 long pairs of yoga pants/workout bottoms

- 2 pairs of capri length workout bottoms

- 1 pair of sweat pants/joggers for the cabin/outside

Other Clothing

- 1 shirt for lounging in the cabin/on ship

- 2 sets of PJ's (shirt/shorts)

Now that we have gotten clothing/shoes out of the way, let's move on to accessories then toiletries. I don't think pictures will be necessary for toiletries, so I'll keep it simple and list the items we plan on taking with us.

Accessories/Bags

My husband and I both ordered new Patagonia backpacks last month, so we are bringing ours as the carry-on for the ship & plan to use one while in port.

enhance

enhance

My husband has a waterproof Patagonia backpack, so we will use it in port because mine is not waterproof and we will only need one.

enhance

In my backpack, I will keep ponchos, an umbrella, Kleenex, hand sanitizer, gum, lint roller, camera/case/battery, Kindle, phone/Kindle chargers and other necessities.

Toiletries

Last, but certainly not least... toiletries!

I have 2 bags I use for toiletries/cosmetics - one for makeup and the other for all of my toiletries.

Toiletry bag -

*Note: my bag is not packed yet, this is what can be found in my bag all of the time*

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here's a list of all the items you can find in my toiletry bag:

- Shampoo/conditioner (travel size)

- Body wash (travel size)

- Lotion (travel size)

- Face wash (AM & PM) (travel size)

- Leave in conditioner (travel size)

- Tooth brush

- Toothpaste, floss, & mouthwash (travel size)

- Contact solution & eye drops (travel size)

- Makeup remover wipes

- Clorox wipes

- Lysol & Febreeze (travel size)

- Razor

- Nail kit

- Q-tips

- Tide to go stick, shout wipes, wet one's, and eye glass wipes

*I like to place my liquids in portion snack bags or regular ziplock bags (depending on the size of the item) to prevent spillage. This has saved my vacations on plenty of occasions!

Examples:

Mouthwash, AM & PM face wash

enhance

Makeup Bag

Makeup Bag (*note - I do not wear a lot of makeup) -

enhance

enhance

enhance

Here's what you can find in my makeup bag:

- Mascaras

- Eyeliner

- Eye shadows with brush

- Perfume (travel size)/oil

- Moisturizer (day, night, and under eye) - travel size

- Tweezers

- Hair clips/ponytail holders

Example: a moisturizer set along with eye cream and hand lotion -

enhance

Small perfume/oil

enhance

I also recommend purchasing some small containers so you can decant creams so you do not have to pack the full-size. I'll use this for my night cream.

enhance

Here's an example of typical toiletries that I pack for every cruise -

enhance

Mouthwash, hairspray, Lysol, Febreeze, soap dish, & Clorox wipes. I use the Clorox, Febreeze, and Lysol for the room. Yes, I'm a little crazy and wipe down the room really well before we settle in. I also like to keep it fresh throughout the cruise. I'm currently looking for an air freshener for our upcoming cruise.

I also recommend a nail kit for those "just in case" moments. I picked this up from Target in the travel section. This sure comes in handy!

enhance

Here are some other items that somewhat fit into the toiletry category that I make sure to pack when going to Alaska.

enhance

Magical magnetic clips - ok, they aren't magical but they are so usable on a cruise!

The smaller ones I use for paper products: dailies, excursions tickets, dinner reservation cards, etc.

The stronger & larger clips I use for jackets, purses, scarves, etc. These can hold up to 30# and you can buy clips that hold much heavier weights. I prefer to hang most of my clothes, so the 30 pounders work just fine for me.

enhance

A trick I learned when gearing up for a cruise years ago is to purchase an over-the-door shoe rack. I use this for miscellaneous items and hang it on the back of the bathroom door for easy access. Just hang it on the back of the bathroom door and BOOM! You have a nearly-organized cabin.

*You can also hang it on the inside of the bathroom door, whatever works for you!

This is what it looks like all ready to be packed up -

enhance

My friend Tracey shared a photo of hers in use - I couldn't find one of my own photos, so big shout out to Tracey! She also suggested suction cups for your shower door or mirror. You can see how she uses them in the background of this photo. How clever!!

enhance

Now that we have moved out of the toiletry section, I want to mention something that I HAVE to bring with me on every cruise. No matter how short or long a cruise is, there are not enough electrical outlets in the staterooms. I do not leave home without my Belkin charging station. The official name is the Belkin Mini 5W 3-Outlet Swivel Travel Charger with Dual USB Ports - I purchased this years ago from Amazon for around $15.

enhance

Another fun tid-bit that I like to point out is a packing list that a couple of friends have given me as gifts (they know I'm crazy about organization and packing!).

I love the "Pack This" list and always pull one out when I start to pack for a big trip. These can be found online or in store, I'm unsure of where they found it. It comes in a pack of about 30-ish.

enhance

The last section I want to go over is the most important. You never know what might happen while on board or in port. In 2008 I learned my lesson in Dominica when I suddenly broke out in a rash on my right arm and right leg. I'm guessing the rainforest spit some form of angry fire on my right side and I was desperate for an anti-itch cream. I had Benadryl with me, but it didn't help the physical rash on my right side. I eventually found Cortisone cream in port, but it took days.

Long story short, PACK A MEDICINE BAG! If you have kids, make sure you have pediatric doses, etc. I'm a nurse, so I do not need to label the little baggies of tablets because i'm very familiar with which OTC medication is which. If you are unsure, be sure to label each bag so you know what you are taking. Yes, I have witnessed friends play a guessing game with tablets.

Enough said, here's the medicine bag I bring with me on every overnight trip.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

This section is dedicated to cruising - although I have never needed it, you just don't know when you might experience sea sickness. For me, I opt for the oral route: Bonine tablets, Dramamine tablets and liquid. If you are going to travel with anything else for seasickness, I recommend the bands (less side effects). I may purchase these on Amazon before our cruise, I haven't decided yet.

enhance

Medicine bag continued -

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I wish I had these creams with me back in 2008!

enhance

enhance

Here's what you can find in my medicine bag:

- IB profen, Tylenol, Aleve, Benadryl, Melatonin, Zrytec

- Bonine tablets, Dramamine liquid & tablets

- Creams: Cortizone, Benadryl, & Neosporin

- Alcohol pads

- Bandaids - different sizes

- Cough drops, sinus, cold, & flu (severe)

I hope you have found this guide helpful or at least the start to your research. I spent so much time watching videos and reading websites and tried to piece it all together before my first cruise to Alaska. This is merely a guide and you may notice some things missing from the list. We are all different, especially in terms of vacation and packing.

Here are a few items I did not mention or picture - jewelry bag/jewelry, binoculars, travel clock, sun screen, hairbrushes/comb/wet brush, sunglasses (with case), eye glasses, contact lens container, passport, credit cards/wallet/ID/cash, Kindle, chargers, umbrella, hats, gloves, scarves, insulated coffee mugs, reusable water bottles, undergarments, swim suits, and the list goes on & on!

This guide would have become a novel if I featured EVERYTHING!

Just remember that packing isn't what it's all about. Alaska is the destination. Happy sailing to you!

enhance

Edited by alainamarie

Thanks for the information. How many suitcases do you bring? We are trying to go with one large checked one and one medium-sized carry on suitcase.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hello there! For my cruise to Alaska in 2016, I brought one large suit case and a carry on backpack and purse. I plan to bring exactly that on this cruise. Between my husband and I, we may require an additional small bag because he is bringing his fishing gear. I may use packing cubes to help keep things organized, haven't decided yet.

Hope this helps!

Alaina