Upsell offers from a travel agency

Cruise Raider

I see posts about how some people get upsell offers .... many times, as a matter of fact.

With 2 dozen cruises on Princess, I've never been offered one of these.

Well, come to find out that not all travel agencies, including the one I use most often, doesn't pass these along to their clients that book with them. I know my chances of receiving an upsell offer are slim to begin with but all those sailings I've booked through this agency takes that slim chance down to none. Live and learn ... guess I won't be booking through them that much anymore even though they've always provided great service in the past.

I was a little puzzled when the agent told me about this .... so, if keeping this option open in important to you, you may want to inquire with your travel agent before booking with them.

Cruise Raider...I’m surprised the agent admitted not providing upsell offers to clients: an “A” for honesty; a “F” for company policy. :rolleyes:

You may have missed numerous upsell offers which I’ve received on nearly all of my cruises within the past couple of years. My booking TA immediately contracts me with the details & if accepting the offer makes the change after confirming there is no downside to the upsell.

I see posts about how some people get upsell offers .... many times, as a matter of fact.

With 2 dozen cruises on Princess, I've never been offered one of these.

Well, come to find out that not all travel agencies, including the one I use most often, doesn't pass these along to their clients that book with them. I know my chances of receiving an upsell offer are slim to begin with but all those sailings I've booked through this agency takes that slim chance down to none. Live and learn ... guess I won't be booking through them that much anymore even though they've always provided great service in the past.

I was a little puzzled when the agent told me about this .... so, if keeping this option open in important to you, you may want to inquire with your travel agent before booking with them.

Princess Website is so easy to use and when you want to refare or rebook(with refundable deposit of course only!) is so easy to call and do so. Be your own TA. If I book a low enough stateroom and the cruise is not sold out, I usually get an upsell offer (free upgrade not so very often!). I do not miss the little OBC, slight discount on fare, or flowers I would get from my TA. Much rather control my own booking. Didn't even know a TA wouldn't forward a upsell offer! What do they do about free upgrades?! Grin.

Pooh

Correct--the TA should receive their standard commission on an upsell. FWIW, I received a move over offer. I specifically asked my TA if Princess was paying commission on my free cruise--per her, they were being well taken care of.

I use a great TA because her service and that of her agency is there for me when trouble strikes. If all goes well, it is easy to think well of booking thru Princess directly or with an agency that offers little or no service. But that's fine for some...and those who book directly thru Princess help to keep the fares down for the rest of us. I'd rather have great service and someone on my side if an issue arises between me and a cruise line.

free upgrade is unpaid work for the TA

but wouldn't an upsell, if accepted, generate a higher commission for the TA?:confused:

or is that just too much work, also???

Yes, it does. Commission IS paid on the upsell, so it pays for the TA to do the work. Other benefits are longer lasting. Not only does it make a very happy passenger, it makes a repeat, forever client. <3

Princess Website is so easy to use and when you want to refare or rebook(with refundable deposit of course only!) is so easy to call and do so. Be your own TA. If I book a low enough stateroom and the cruise is not sold out, I usually get an upsell offer (free upgrade not so very often!). I do not miss the little OBC, slight discount on fare, or flowers I would get from my TA. Much rather control my own booking. Didn't even know a TA wouldn't forward a upsell offer! What do they do about free upgrades?! Grin.

Pooh

Agree that the Princess website is easy to use as I am also a die hard DIY-er. However, for booking Princess cruises, you are definitely leaving money on the table by going through Princess. I have saved thousands by using a TA who discounts. In fact, we're saving that amount on a single upcoming cruise alone. She also quickly sends any upsell offers or moveovers from Princess to us even if she is traveling. And on the rare occasion that something has gone wrong, she has fiercely and successfully gone to bat for us. It's hard for many to believe because you usually get the best deals going direct for other things but that it is not the case for cruises.

Pooh

Not sure what you consider slight discount in fare but I just saved over $400 and my sister just saved over $500 on a cruise. Plus - I have an expert looking after my booking. I personally don't feel I have lost control.

Plus - if you get an upgrade notice, you can call them direct.

Free upgrades are automatic.

Not sure what you consider slight discount in fare but I just saved over $400 and my sister just saved over $500 on a cruise. Plus - I have an expert looking after my booking. I personally don't feel I have lost control.

Plus - if you get an upgrade notice, you can call them direct.

Free upgrades are automatic.

I guess I am an undercover TA in my heart............... and retired who saved and scrimped during her working years!!! Grin. So yes, I would, even if I were to get above, want to do my own Princess bookings. I guess I am what you call weird!!! Then I have used several "good" TA's over the years and they have done a good job but I guess I don't have the ones that have just been mentioned by the last few posts as I have never gotten anything but maybe a 5-7% discount in price, or a $50-150 OBC, or a very nice flower bouquet in my stateroom. Now these are great, but I guess I enjoy doing the work too much!! Grin.

Pooh

When we booked through Princess, we received an auto upgrade. Except not really an upgrade so we learned to request “no upgrade” after that. Found a small travel agent with a small office and he forwarded an upsell offer which we accepted. The only thing is that he does charge a cancellation fee and we got no discounted fare, he gave us a small $25 OBC per person. After that we ventured to using big box TA and an online TA. No upsells received with bookings under those. I figured big box didn’t forward them. But at least we did receive a good amount of refundable OBC in addition to the $25 per person from big box. I’m still searching for that really good TA.

As I mentioned, I've used this TA before and been pretty happy with their service, even though the perks (obc and such) haven't been outstanding, just adequate.

This time around, I could tell they were doing the work on my behalf but when it came down to it, the little bit of OBC (which was only half of what was originally estimated) isn't worth my lack of control and no chance of an upsell.

Since it takes a couple of days to transfer it to an agent and a couple of days to transfer it back, I'm just sticking with Princess. I got a great deal on the sailing so will just factor that into not getting any other perks or obc.

Keeping fingers crossed for an upsell .... but will be perfectly happy even if we don't get one.

I just never realized that some agencies don't pass these offers on to their clients ... and ... all these cruises we've booked with them and wondered why we were the only frequent cruisers that have never received any kind of upgrade off....question answered now. ;p

I use a terrible big box chain store that requires membership for a TA. I am savy enough to watch my cruise up until final payment and call the TA if I need changes. I ask them to call and see if any upsells are available 30 days before sailing and they do because I ask and stay on hold while they do it. I get 10% in OBC or a cash card to use or cash in at their big box store. I find 10% back and 5% by using their Citibank visa is a lot of money. Next cruise is $785 Cash back and the 5% on the Visa too much to leave sitting on the table.

Many of the online agents that discount your fares DON'T get commission, just an hourly wage. Where do you think your discount comes from....it comes from rebating some of the commission the cruise line pays for the booking. Luckily, my agent still forwards upsell offers to his clients. He doesn't make anything from it, but it keeps his clients coming back for more.

Many of the online agents that discount your fares DON'T get commission, just an hourly wage. Where do you think your discount comes from....it comes from rebating some of the commission the cruise line pays for the booking. Luckily, my agent still forwards upsell offers to his clients. He doesn't make anything from it, but it keeps his clients coming back for more.

True, but that is what the agent has agreed to. There are many positive and negative issues to being on salary vs. commission; this is probably not the place to debate them. In the big box empire, the agent doesn't work for you, they work for the box....and they see no benefit to keeping you happy.

In a smaller agency, regardless of how the individual agents are paid, their employer is aware of repeat customers and customers who request a particular agent...thus, better service.

In a smaller agency' date=' regardless of how the individual agents are paid, their employer is aware of repeat customers and customers who request a particular agent...thus, better service.[/quote']

Yes, my agent works for a smaller agency. He gets his hourly wage, and a few bonuses every now and then from certain lines. He takes great care of me as a repeat customer. On one sailing where we were booked in an inside, there was a massive price drop after final payment due to all of the cancellations from hurricanes. Our agent went to bat for us and had us upgraded to a mini suite. He made nothing on the deal, but he gets all of my business and plenty of referrals. Good service is dead yet, just harder to find. He’s a keeper!

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Yes, my agent works for a smaller agency. He gets his hourly wage, and a few bonuses every now and then from certain lines. He takes great care of me as a repeat customer. On one sailing where we were booked in an inside, there was a massive price drop after final payment due to all of the cancellations from hurricanes. Our agent went to bat for us and had us upgraded to a mini suite. He made nothing on the deal, but he gets all of my business and plenty of referrals. Good service is dead yet, just harder to find. He’s a keeper!

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

You could essentially be describing my agent. I wish her agency had more expertise with Princess, but I guess you can't be an expert on every line. But as you noted, they track all their bookings and secure either the lower fare or a better cabin for their clients when available. The biggest thing though is their assistance when the proverbial hits the fan.

When our first ever Princess cruise had delayed boarding and ultimately the first day of the cruise was canceled, the agency went above and beyond to keep me informed and to do what they could to help. When I was at ORD being told that I was the first to be bumped on my international flight to board a ship in Barcelona, they advised me of my rights as well as being prepared with other flight options. When my daughter's medical condition deteriorated suddenly 4 days before a cruise, but then gradually improved to the point that the doc said OK to cruise with a wheelchair, etc. they were able to secure an accessible cabin for us even though the initial call to the cruise line was "no way." I'm all about the service aspect!

This seems to be the case with online and big box TAs. They take your money, give you whatever perk they are offering - if any - and that's it.

While it might be true for the Big Boxes....its certainly not true for the high volume online agencies we use (there are currently 3 on our favored list). In fact for our most recent Princess cruise (Golden) our cruise agent contacted us immediately when there was an upsell offer to a large suite.

Hank

Pooh

While I agree that the Princess web site is OK.....it is hard to justify booking direct with Princess when we can save 7-10% (overall including OBCs) by simply shopping around among a few favorite cruise agencies. Since we tend to take longer cruises our savings are generally measured in the thousands of dollars. Perhaps for you that is a "little" savings but for us its real money :).

Hank

Found a small travel agent with a small office and he forwarded an upsell offer which we accepted. The only thing is that he does charge a cancellation fee and we got no discounted fare, he gave us a small $25 OBC per person.

Chances are the TA did not give you any OBC. The OBC most probably came from Princess.

TAs who book a group of cabins get amenity points that can be used for perks for the traveler. One of those possible perks is OBC.

Chances are the TA did not give you any OBC. The OBC most probably came from Princess.

TAs who book a group of cabins get amenity points that can be used for perks for the traveler. One of those possible perks is OBC.

Yes, you’re right. I remember reading about amenity points for group rates here on CC.

We generally use a big online agency. Once they passed on an upsell offer to us, and it was followed up by a call from Princess. They generally give OBC in an acceptable amount to us, and this last cruise we found $30 OBC on our statement labeled something like "group rebate"--small, but unexpected. Our OBC--from Princess AND the online TA-- pretty much covered our shore excursions--so yeah, we'll stick with this agency--but keep doing our own checking on a regular basis.

Edited by nojoke
clarification