Alaskan Cruise Help

renbeez

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of looking into an Alaskan Cruise. We are not new to cruising; however, we've only cruised Carnival (mainly due to convenience cruising out of Galveston and price). We are in our mid 40's and will have no kids traveling w/us on this trip. Big questions are time of year to see wildlife, itinerary and which cruise line. I feel like Princess will be a good option, but would like input.

I cruised Princess for my first Alaska cruise and we're going on Royal Caribbean next month (which I've cruised the most, but not yet to Alaska). Princess goes to Glacier Bay, which is very popular, but Royal Caribbean goes to Hubbard Glacier which is a much larger glacier, and, I'm told, more active for calving. Glacier Bay was nice, but somewhat underwhelming for what I expected (which seems an odd thing to say about glaciers).

I remember food being very good on Princess. On Royal, I've had to find my favorites and stick with them because it's more hit-or-miss. But the things I like, I really like.

The bathroom in our balcony room on Princess was the smallest cruise bathroom I've ever had. This was back in 2000 though, on Princess Dawn, which may not even sail anymore (IDK, but at the time it was the largest or one of the largest ships at sea).

I don't think you can go wrong with Princess or Royal. I haven't sailed NCL, HAL, or Disney (I refuse to pay Disney's cruise prices).

Check itineraries - both ports and the time in port. Some itineraries have very short times in some ports. Ketchikan is usually not a full day but you can see a lot in 6 or 7 hours. In the other major ports (including Juneau and Skagway) you want to have the longest port times possible since there is lots to do. I'm sure someone else will chime in about the other ports (Sitka, Hines, Icy Point).

We are on our third Alaska Princess cruise a week from tomorrow (but who is counting?). In general the Princess northbound Vancouver to Whittier cruise includes Glacier Bay and College Fjord; the southbound Whittier to Vancouver cruise includes Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay; and of the two ships sailing round trip out of Seattle (at least this summer) one includes Glacier Bay and the other includes Tracy Arm Fjord. If time and budget allow, think about adding a cruisetour to the beginning of a southbound cruise or the end of a northbound cruise. The scenery is spectacular!

We took an HAL cruisetour last year. Many places on land, Princess and Holland America were together. At Denali, the HAL lodging is a short walk from Princess lodging.

We had perfect sky for Denali -- many days are not. The train from there to Anchorage is a great day of sightseeing. Another can't miss is Kenai National Park near Seward. Great way to see humpbacks, grey whales, orcas, seals, puffins, and more.

So, we recommend a cruisetour.

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of looking into an Alaskan Cruise. We are not new to cruising; however, we've only cruised Carnival (mainly due to convenience cruising out of Galveston and price). We are in our mid 40's and will have no kids traveling w/us on this trip. Big questions are time of year to see wildlife, itinerary and which cruise line. I feel like Princess will be a good option, but would like input.

You certainly should give a consideration to RCI Radiance northbound from Vancouver...our favorite ship and itinerary.

Hello,

I am just returning from 7 days on the Coral Princess. First, I would suggest going in mid to late July. We were too early for the salmon to be running. We saw one bear and eagles and that was it. We did not do the Denali tour and I heard those that did were able to see moose and bears. We said if we go again we would go later. Second, we are normally Royal Caribbean cruisers but our travel agent talked us into Princess for Glacier Bay. I know that someone else on here had a different opinion but in my personal opinion Hubbard Glacier was disappointing. We were so far away from it that you could not grasp it’s size. In Glacier Bay we spent an hour right beside two glaciers, it was much more impressive. As far as Princess, unlike the last cruise we took with them, this one was very organized and the staff was extremely friendly. The ship is built perfectly for viewing Alaska from all sides.

Good luck choosing! Whatever you choose you will enjoy it!!

I have taken both Princess and Royal Caribbean in Alaska and would gladly take either again.

The itinerary is more important than the cruise line or specific ship, in my opinion. My preference is a one-way Northbound from Vancouver. A one-way itinerary usually gives you more ports and more time in those ports. Adding a few days in Vancouver before your trip and in Alaska after your trip is like getting bonus ports. I also like the feeling of sailing “to” Alaska, as the scenery gets more impressive each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just returned today from a Celebrity Solstice Cruise. We have been to Alaska four times and twice on Royal Caribbean and twice now on Solstice. Once in Aug. which was our worst weather and shorter days and three times now in June. We saw much more wildlife during the longer daylight days. Our Aug Cruise was rainy and foggy and we we’re not able to spend the daylight hours outside watching for wildlife. The days were also much shorter. Two out of the three June ones have been beautiful and we have had the longer days. Sunrise in Alaska 0350 sunset nearly 2300. We were in the 70’s tempwise in Ketchikan Juneau and Skagway. Beautiful itinerary visiting Tracy Arm Fjord. We chose Celebrity Solstice for its size and the amount of viewing glass areas to sit and just view the magnificent surroundings.

This photo was taken out of Skagway @ nearly 2300pm.

IMG_0879.thumb.JPG.022c33e9e32a9d6b373075375e7acd07.JPG

We saw a lot of wildlife in May by taking private excursion in Juneau on Adventure Bound from Radiance northbound. Also saw bears on drive in rental car from Skagway to Emerald Lake. Also did the Icy Strait whale watch and of course saw lots of whales. And in Seward take a Kenai Fjords tour to see lots of whales and wildlife too. Researching what you want to do is important. And a good bit of the fun. I agree with JT1962. The boat is transportation. The itinerary is what is most important for you to decide. Have fun planning. These boards are most helpful.

We just returned today from a Celebrity Solstice Cruise. We have been to Alaska four times and twice on Royal Caribbean and twice now on Solstice. Once in Aug. which was our worst weather and shorter days and three times now in June. We saw much more wildlife during the longer daylight days. Our Aug Cruise was rainy and foggy and we we’re not able to spend the daylight hours outside watching for wildlife. The days were also much shorter. Two out of the three June ones have been beautiful and we have had the longer days. Sunrise in Alaska 0350 sunset nearly 2300. We were in the 70’s tempwise in Ketchikan Juneau and Skagway. Beautiful itinerary visiting Tracy Arm Fjord. We chose Celebrity Solstice for its size and the amount of viewing glass areas to sit and just view the magnificent surroundings.

This photo was taken out of Skagway @ nearly 2300pm.

[ATTACH]424122[/ATTACH]

What a gorgeous sunset!

Hello,

No disrespect intended, but the biggest question is whether you want to do a round-trip cruise from Seattle or Vancouver, or a one way cruise between either Whittier or Seward and Vancouver, or vice-versa.

The round trip cruises go from Seattle or Vancouver only as far north as the Southeast Alaska panhandle, usually with Skagway or Haines as their "turn-around" point. You will see marvelous scenery along the "inside passage" route (generally more and better scenery on the Vancouver sailings owing to the different routes taken on the Seattle sailings) but you won't have the opportunity to visit Denali National Park, the Kenai Peninsula, or many other locations accessible by road, rail or air from Anchorage.

The one-way cruises offer this opportunity, either before or after the cruise, but then time becomes a factor. Both the one-way and round trip cruises are generally for seven nights (there are some exceptions) but obviously if you want to see more in Southcentral or Interior Alaska (Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Kenai Peninsula etc.) you'll need more days, probably a rental car, and airfare will be higher since you'll have to fly farther in one direction or another.

So the first decision you need to make is how many days you can spare for this vacation. If you've only got a week or so, then the round-trip itineraries probably make more sense. If you can spare two weeks, and if your budget can handle a week on land that will almost certainly be more expensive than the one on the ship, then the one-way option might be better for you.

Of course with the round-trip choice, you still have the option of touring around the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia before or after the cruise. We're certainly no slouches on marvelous things to see around here, either.

I've enjoyed our May cruises best. This year we cruised 6/10-6/17, and I thought it was a little too warm. In May, snow is still on the mountains, and it feels like Alaska. And the days are really long.

We've traveled on HAL twice, NCL twice and RCI once, and I wouldn't hesitate to go on any of those lines again. They were all excellent cruises. We've been to Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier. Each is wonderful in its own way, but Hubbard has been my favorite.

I would recommend, as others have, to first decide whether you want to cruise one-way or round trip. After that, look at all itineraries and choose the one that has what you think is the best itinerary for your interests and the longest times in port.

We enjoyed our two southbound, one-way itineraries best. We stayed in Seward for two nights prior to our first southbound cruise and did one of the Kenai Fjords cruises. Just fabulous. Prior to this latest cruise we spent two nights in Anchorage and rented a car with friends to drive down to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. On both occasions we took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward. Both of those cruises ended in Vancouver, which is our favorite North American city. It is so beautiful.

Have fun with your planning. It's a good way to get familiar with Alaska before you go. I bet this will not be your only trip there. :D

Thanks for all the post. You've given me things to consider and think about before moving forward with booking. Due to our work schedule, I'm thinking we will do a round trip.

No disrespect intended, but the biggest question is whether you want to do a round-trip cruise from Seattle or Vancouver, or a one way cruise between either Whittier or Seward and Vancouver, or vice-versa.

The round trip cruises go from Seattle or Vancouver only as far north as the Southeast Alaska panhandle, usually with Skagway or Haines as their "turn-around" point. You will see marvelous scenery along the "inside passage" route (generally more and better scenery on the Vancouver sailings owing to the different routes taken on the Seattle sailings) but you won't have the opportunity to visit Denali National Park, the Kenai Peninsula, or many other locations accessible by road, rail or air from Anchorage.

The one-way cruises offer this opportunity, either before or after the cruise, but then time becomes a factor. Both the one-way and round trip cruises are generally for seven nights (there are some exceptions) but obviously if you want to see more in Southcentral or Interior Alaska (Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Kenai Peninsula etc.) you'll need more days, probably a rental car, and airfare will be higher since you'll have to fly farther in one direction or another.

So the first decision you need to make is how many days you can spare for this vacation. If you've only got a week or so, then the round-trip itineraries probably make more sense. If you can spare two weeks, and if your budget can handle a week on land that will almost certainly be more expensive than the one on the ship, then the one-way option might be better for you.

Of course with the round-trip choice, you still have the option of touring around the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia before or after the cruise. We're certainly no slouches on marvelous things to see around here, either.