Canapés available for purchase on board?

stardust

We are sailing on the Pacific princess and I saw they have canapés for pre-cruise purchase. Can these either be purchased while on board, or even better, would they be available for free on a buffet?

Trust me. You don't want them, even for no charge. Yes, you can buy them. But don't.

There are tons of GOOD things to eat on the ship, no need to pay for these items. My TA sent me a canape plate as a give last cruise--waste of $10. I'm sure she did it with her bonus points though. It was 12 pieces of varied bites. Some of the items showed up as amuse bouche in the dining room on other days. Go to the buffet and bring a plate of goodies back to your room--you'll get what you want and won't pay extra for it. Go to the International Cafe where the sandwiches and desserts are quite good.

It isn't that the canapes weren't good; they just weren't worth the money.

There are tons of GOOD things to eat on the ship' date=' no need to pay for these items. My TA sent me a canape plate as a give last cruise--waste of $10. I'm sure she did it with her bonus points though. It was 12 pieces of varied bites. Some of the items showed up as amuse bouche in the dining room on other days. Go to the buffet and bring a plate of goodies back to your room--you'll get what you want and won't pay extra for it. Go to the International Cafe where the sandwiches and desserts are quite good.

It isn't that the canapes weren't good; they just weren't worth the money.[/quote']

No IC on Pacific

They used to be OK, now not so much. Free with a suite we don't eat them.

Elites always had the option on formal nights. Turned them down years ago.

No IC on Pacific

Not missing anything. See above. Have almost 200 days on PP and her demised sister ships.

We've received them as a gift from our travel agent before. My problem was that room service delivered them when we weren't in the cabin. I did not eat them since I did not know how long they had sat out. We also used to get them on formal nights as Elite but have given up on that as well. I miss the chocolate-covered strawberries. We did eat the canapes in December when they delivered them to our suite when we were there.

It is easy to pick up cheese, nuts, other finger foods from the buffet ... if you want something with a glass of wine on your balcony... check out the buffet and breakfast and lunch time..

We are sailing on the Pacific princess and I saw they have canapés for pre-cruise purchase. Can these either be purchased while on board, or even better, would they be available for free on a buffet?
Thank you everyone. We will definitely skip those. We haven't been on a ship this small and wasn't sure what would be available snack wise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone. We will definitely skip those. We haven't been on a ship this small and wasn't sure what would be available snack wise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Although the Panorama Buffet on the Pacific is smaller than the Horizon Court there has been a good selection of munchies throughout the day. Because there is only one serving line, the buffet does shut down for a short time during changeover from breakfast to lunch and lunch to dinner.

I actually think they're fine. Maybe not the most amazing thing I've ever tasted, but, then again, not too many things I have tasted on a cruise ship are in the vicinity of "most amazing thing I've ever tasted."

I've even paid for them. I pre-ordered them prior to one cruise and enjoyed them with bubbly wine on our balcony as we left port.

To those who denigrate the canapes, what is your specific complaint?

There was one person, above, who complained that the bread was "dry." I guess 90% of all the canapes I've ever had were on dry bread. The other 10% were on dry crackers.

If he/she meant that the bread was stale, I guess I would have to agree that that is a valid criticism. Personally, I have not experienced that on Princess.

I have to agree that the Elite Canapes are some what on the dry/stale side. I think the issue is they make them so far in advance that they dry out in the refrigerators. We don't order them any longer. On the other hand the last two years our Travel Agent has sent us Canapes and I was surprised how different they were from the free ones. Again it might be they were made fresh. Bread was soft and the topping different. I agree I would not go out of my way to pay for them but we did like what we were sent from the travel agent.

Thanks, Walt.

I can't say that I've ever had the "free" canapes that suite dwellers can order.

I should add, though, that I did not pre-order them blindly. I've had them multiple times with the UBD and with various wine tastings--the one's offered on sea days in the dining room.

I have to agree that the Elite Canapes are some what on the dry/stale side. I think the issue is they make them so far in advance that they dry out in the refrigerators. We don't order them any longer. On the other hand the last two years our Travel Agent has sent us Canapes and I was surprised how different they were from the free ones. Again it might be they were made fresh. Bread was soft and the topping different. I agree I would not go out of my way to pay for them but we did like what we were sent from the travel agent.

so in the planner, there are 2 types of canapes available for pre-order. I'm wondering if the "free" ones that are an elite benefit are the less expensive ones ... they don't look so hot to me, either. However, the Deluxe seem quite a bit nicer.

Here's what the planner says:

Assorted Canapés$10.00

A delightful selection of canapés, including cheese mousse, bay shrimp, cooked ham, smoked salmon, salami and tuna mousse. (15 pieces)

Deluxe Canapés$14.00

Our deluxe assortment of exceptional canapés, including caviar, smoked salmon, prosciutto, pâté de foie, and shrimp. (15 pieces)

..... which ones have people tried?

Thx,

Mary

so in the planner, there are 2 types of canapes available for pre-order. I'm wondering if the "free" ones that are an elite benefit are the less expensive ones ... they don't look so hot to me, either. However, the Deluxe seem quite a bit nicer.

Here's what the planner says:

Assorted Canapés$10.00

A delightful selection of canapés, including cheese mousse, bay shrimp, cooked ham, smoked salmon, salami and tuna mousse. (15 pieces)

Deluxe Canapés$14.00

Our deluxe assortment of exceptional canapés, including caviar, smoked salmon, prosciutto, pâté de foie, and shrimp. (15 pieces)

..... which ones have people tried?

Thx,

Mary

Free always has shrimp, salmon, prosciutto on cream cheese, (or maybe it's not cream cheese and is a salmon mousse) and I forget what else. Haven't seen or wanted them in years.