Blue Kay, Tropicante, or Almaplena?

aim_for_the_sun

So after months of research, my fiancé and I knew we wanted to spend our Costa Maya day at Maya Chan. It's our first cruise and we want a nice relaxing beach day with beautiful clear water, good food and plenty of drinks. When I emailed to reserve chairs, I got a response that they are booked for the day we will be there. We are now trying to decide between the 3 beaches I mentioned in the title. Priorities are beautiful views and good food . We would love any input that might help us decide!

Thanks [emoji4] Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While all serve good food and decent drinks, IMO Tropicante stands out on these items. But Blue kay is no slacker in this regard. I haven't been to Almaplena but do hear it is good as well and it will have the clearer water than even Maya Chan would have as it is further south. It is an AI and I believe has tighter limits on day-cruisers than even MC. Both Tropicante and Blue Kay are pay-as-you-go.

Along the malecon, Blue Kay will be in the area to have clearer water. Tropicante is in the middle of the malecon and can experience less clearer water as the shallow area gets churned up by water craft and is more prone to sea grass than the area around Blue Kay or Maya Chan, although the Mexican government has spent a lot of pesos and dredged the entire area to help eliminate sea grass from obstructing the beaches.

I have reviews with tons of pictures for both Almaplena and Blue Kay (in my signature line). They may help you out a little bit on what to expect them to look like. :)

Thank you, I will do that! I started looking at your review of Blue Kay, and your pics are amazing!! [emoji7]

If you had to choose one of the 2 to spend the day today, which would you choose?

Thank you, I will do that! I started looking at your review of Blue Kay, and your pics are amazing!! [emoji7]

If you had to choose one of the 2 to spend the day today, which would you choose?

Both are very beautiful places. But, if I had to pick just one, I would go with Blue Kay for several reason...You can't beat the location being just a few minutes away from the port and only costing $3 to get there (although Almaplena includes the taxi ride to/from the port). When you are so close to port, it's awesome to get pics of the ship there from the beach and it also allows you to stay longer because of less traveling time.

Almaplena is an AI, which means you can go there and drink and eat all day if you want. Blue Kay is a pay as you go, but I personally didn't find it to be too expensive and all 3 of us ate and drank when we wanted to and (I can't remember without looking over my review), I think we spent less than $50 for all day. (Which of course was cheaper than paying for an AI for 3 people, which would have been at least double+ for the day).

I also liked that snorkeling was cool and interesting right off the beach at Blue Kay. It's by no means a reef, but PLENTY to see and in shallow water. It definitely made the day even better. Almaplena has a reef in front of it, but you have to swim out a ways.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I just like that Blue Kay is so close and such as nice stretch of beach (and HUGE) along the Malecon. :)

We have only ate at Blue Kay, so can't compare. However, we thought what we ordered at Blue Kay was good. No complaints here. But, food is subjective and I have read others saying the food was "ok". But, there's nothing that says you can't spend a day at Blue Kay and have some drinks and enjoy your day and simply walk down to another restaurant to eat and then come back. Blue Kay does have lockers there that you can put your things up in while you walk the Malecon. :)

how much does Blue Kay costs and what is included? kayaks?

Since I went, they decided to charge a fee for staying there. I believe the last report was $5 for the day and included a drink or two (so well worth it of course). If you want to rent any of the equipment, then that's extra. OR, you could buy their package that includes everything (not sure what the price is now and it should be listed on their webpage). :)

We were at Blue Kay last week, and really enjoyed it. There was a $5 charge that included a drink, and we had our pick of tables (with palapas) or loungers that were spread out. It had a very relaxed vibe, with not a lot of people, plenty of palm trees, and a beautiful beach. The water was pretty clear, but had to go out a ways to see anything snorkeling. The staff were great! We just had guacamole & nachos, which were good. What really made it nice was that the ship's "beach excursion" was at a place right next door, with loungers lined up in rows & no shade -- we felt we made the right choice :)

We were at Blue Kay last week, and really enjoyed it. There was a $5 charge that included a drink, and we had our pick of tables (with palapas) or loungers that were spread out. It had a very relaxed vibe, with not a lot of people, plenty of palm trees, and a beautiful beach. The water was pretty clear, but had to go out a ways to see anything snorkeling. The staff were great! We just had guacamole & nachos, which were good. What really made it nice was that the ship's "beach excursion" was at a place right next door, with loungers lined up in rows & no shade -- we felt we made the right choice :)

What is the place next door called now? Do you mean the old Snr Frogs? Do they still have a pool?

We were at Blue Kay last week and walked the whole beach to Nacional. We thought Blue Kay beach was the best for us, wide beach, clean water and no boats. The place next door I think was called Tequila beach and yes the chairs we really packed together and music loud.I am not sure about the pool didn't see it from the beach and we walked on by as they tried to pull us in to their club.

Also did not like the the look of any of the other spots Crazy Lobster, Tropicante all packed together narrow beach loud music but it depends what you are looking for. We did not want a party or to make friends or open bar. If you go there be sure to get a menu in pesos though as they tried to charge us $8 dollars for 2 cokes which is crazy. I told them that in spanish and the price changed to $4 for the 2 cokes. We didn't eat lunch there because we wanted to walk the beach and check things out. We ate at Nacional which was very good. They had nice chairs on the beach but I had checked before and they wanted $95 per person for lunch and bar package. Which we didn't want open bar so thought that was too much.

We were at Blue Kay last week and walked the whole beach to Nacional. We thought Blue Kay beach was the best for us, wide beach, clean water and no boats. The place next door I think was called Tequila beach and yes the chairs we really packed together and music loud.I am not sure about the pool didn't see it from the beach and we walked on by as they tried to pull us in to their club.

Also did not like the the look of any of the other spots Crazy Lobster, Tropicante all packed together narrow beach loud music but it depends what you are looking for. We did not want a party or to make friends or open bar. If you go there be sure to get a menu in pesos though as they tried to charge us $8 dollars for 2 cokes which is crazy. I told them that in spanish and the price changed to $4 for the 2 cokes. We didn't eat lunch there because we wanted to walk the beach and check things out. We ate at Nacional which was very good. They had nice chairs on the beach but I had checked before and they wanted $95 per person for lunch and bar package. Which we didn't want open bar so thought that was too much.

Thanks for your review. Tequila Beach has been the cruise ship destination for a while so it doesn't sound like Snr Frogs has reopened.

Did you mean Blue Kay tried to charge $8 for cokes? Do you think that was the lounger fee that has been reported, which I thought that included a drink. Did you pay a lounger fee as well? There seem to have been one or two pricing issues reported.

Interesting to hear about Nacional, it doesn't get mentioned on here very often.

I came across Almaplena today and put it at the top of my list. However, the one potential negative is you have to bring your own snorkel equipment. To decrease luggage load, is there a non-beach club place in port that rents equipment for the day? Any other suggestions?

Edited by sunnyonaseaship

Blue Kay charged $5 per person to use loungers but that included a free drink that was why I was surprised they tried to charge $8 for two cokes until I questioned it. Other than that it was a great place to relax and enjoy the beach and the staff were very friendly.

Nacional was nice and the entertainment staff from the Getaway were there when we were having lunch. The food was pretty good, drinks were pricey but they were very good. My pina colada was made with real pineapple.

The beach there was nice and loungers spread out the water was clear near the beach but then a lot of sea grass like much of that area. I had emailed them before our trip to see if we could rent loungers, have lunch without package but didn't get a reply but there restaurant is open to anyone but is small so not good if you are a group but for a couple looking for a quite place it was great.

Blue Kay really was the best spot we saw for a wide beach and water clear of sea grass. I was also concerned about sargasso seaweed that had been so bad on the coast two years ago but happily saw very little.

Blue Kay charged $5 per person to use loungers but that included a free drink that was why I was surprised they tried to charge $8 for two cokes until I questioned it. Other than that it was a great place to relax and enjoy the beach and the staff were very friendly.

Nacional was nice and the entertainment staff from the Getaway were there when we were having lunch. The food was pretty good, drinks were pricey but they were very good. My pina colada was made with real pineapple.

The beach there was nice and loungers spread out the water was clear near the beach but then a lot of sea grass like much of that area. I had emailed them before our trip to see if we could rent loungers, have lunch without package but didn't get a reply but there restaurant is open to anyone but is small so not good if you are a group but for a couple looking for a quite place it was great.

Blue Kay really was the best spot we saw for a wide beach and water clear of sea grass. I was also concerned about sargasso seaweed that had been so bad on the coast two years ago but happily saw very little.

Thanks that was very helpful.

for those wishing to perhaps bike along the malecon or points south, Jorge at Tropicante has just gotten a bunch of beach cruiser type bikes he's renting out at $10 an hour or $30 a day. He can also arrange a packed lunch and for stops at more secluded, semi-private beaches south of the malecon, if you wish.

When you book with Steve, just mention you want Jorge to arrange something for you. Great option for something different.

We have relaxed at Tropicante twice on cruise stops. My husband and I really enjoy talking to Steve as he is so friendly and easy going. The food is good, the beer is cold, and the conversation is entertaining. It is a great place to people watch as well. You can always stroll the malecon and visit both places! Enjoy your trip!

Quick question.......when I go to the web page for Blue Kay it states it is $350.00 for a day pass. I am confused????

Quick question.......when I go to the web page for Blue Kay it states it is $350.00 for a day pass. I am confused????

That's in peso's. You have to convert. Also, go to the top of the page and hit the US flag and the website will change to English.

Their website has never been their strong point. There have been various errors over time and with translation. I am actually seeing 420 pesos for the beach break charge and no longer mentions including bikes and I believe (maybe kayaks in the past?). Although I do see 350mxn elsewhere.

However with the present conversion still seems good value and I would definitely try to pay in pesos.

The price quoted of $5 is for PAYG rate and is supposed to include welcome drink and lounger, basically facility charge.

That might be in pesos. Current exchange is 20 pesos to on US dollar that still doesn't sound right. You could email them.

You could email them but as I said pricing there was the only issue it seemed negotiable other than the $5 per person to use chairs/beach which included a drink. We never asked for a menu thought because we wanted to walk the beach and check out other places.

Their website has prices in pesos and the exchange rate at most places is arouund 20 to 1. Last I checked at banks it was 22 to 1 so the website price of $420 for beach with open bar and snack would be around $20 not a bad deal. Day pass of $350 I think doesn't include food and drink just chairs and maybe kayaks, snorkel, bikes. We paid at Nacional with credit card so would get the bank exchange rate. Some businesses were only giving 15 pesos per dollar so it is best to confirm or pay with credit with no foreign transaction fee.

That price is probably pesos, and is only if you want all the gear, etc. $5 (US) gets you a pick of loungers or tables, although, as someone has mentioned, the loungers are wooden (no pads). We also were told it included a free drink, but when we got our bill, we were charged for our (non-alcoholic) drinks. I questioned it, and the charge was removed. Otherwise, we really enjoyed the place!