Epic Hull Balcony Listing - Includes maps & features

sdmike

Hello fellow cruisers,

I am looking to book for a cruise in march aboard the Epic. The 8004-8005 staterooms would cost me 1kUSD less than a regular balcony midship room. The rebate is interesting, to say the least but is the balcony opening too high to see through while sitting down? And how high large is the opening? Can my wife and I lean on the railing comfortably abreast?

Thank you all for your input! The less bad surprises I get, the better our first cruise can be :)

P.S. Thanks For all the info Mike! I now realize I knew very little of those hull rooms.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had booked a BC balcony on the Epic, but have been allocated a family balcony - 13004 - at the front of the ship. Couple of questions :

Are there definitely no hull balconies on deck 13?

Has anyone been in 13004?

Definitely none on 13

• 2 months later...

Love this thread. I've gotten so much out of it. Just realized that we are in cabin 11005 on the Epic.

I've never done a forward facing balcony before and of course it's a hull balcony. How bad (or good) is this going to be for us?

Should I see about getting switched or just deal with it?

Thanks!

debbie

• 2 months later...

I had originally booked an inside room on the Epic sailing next week, but then got an e-mail from the "Upsell Department" at NCL offering a balcony upgrade. I called them today and upgraded to cabin 11001 - only to find out now that it's one of these "Hull" balconies. I'm not happy.

piginmud - have you been on your cruise yet? I'm curious to see what someone in the cabin next to mine has to say about them.....

I had originally booked an inside room on the Epic sailing next week, but then got an e-mail from the "Upsell Department" at NCL offering a balcony upgrade. I called them today and upgraded to cabin 11001 - only to find out now that it's one of these "Hull" balconies. I'm not happy.

piginmud - have you been on your cruise yet? I'm curious to see what someone in the cabin next to mine has to say about them.....

Yes! We went in January. Honestly it wasn't that bad. If you really enjoy sitting on the balcony and looking out into the ocean, then you won't like it. But if you don't mind having a nice sized balcony (ours had 2 chairs & a lounge chair), then you may like it. In fact, I think yours is closer to the front of the ship then ours, so you may even have a better view then us towards the front.

It was very smooth sailing and the one thing I was concerned about was being so forward aft that we would feel a lot of ship movement. We didn't at all!

debbie

• 10 months later...

Having recently returned from a cruise having been put in cabin 12008 I can't express how dissatisfied I was having paid extra for a large balcony ( I have been ill and wanted to sit on balcony to read and relax)

The balcony is not a glass fronted one as prorated on the website. When you sit in the chairs you see nothing as venue is obscured by metal surrounding, no sun and officers on bridge can see you too !!!

Asked to be moved ... No joy said they were full but others got moved ..

Have complained to agent who I booked trip with and they haven't had curtesy to reply !!

All in all my holiday was spoilt as the main reason was to renal on balcony and recover ...

Not impressed at all...

Having recently returned from a cruise having been put in cabin 12008 I can't express how dissatisfied I was having paid extra for a large balcony ( I have been ill and wanted to sit on balcony to read and relax)

The balcony is not a glass fronted one as prorated on the website. When you sit in the chairs you see nothing as venue is obscured by metal surrounding, no sun and officers on bridge can see you too !!!

Asked to be moved ... No joy said they were full but others got moved ..

Have complained to agent who I booked trip with and they haven't had curtesy to reply !!

All in all my holiday was spoilt as the main reason was to renal on balcony and recover ...

Not impressed at all...

If you had found this thread started by SDMike BEFORE sailing on the Epic you would have known that 12008 is an enclosed Hull Balcony stateroom. See post #1 which even includes an exterior photo. Some people have a problem with this type of stateroom, some don't. I'm sorry you didn't find the information before you cruised.

Sadly as new to cruising I didn't know of this site so didn't find the post .

S

Naively I trusted booking agent and had also found a picture on Internet of cabin 12008which was not as it was !! I have brought this to the agents attention but they still haven't replied . I shall be chasing them up today ..........

Sadly as new to cruising I didn't know of this site so didn't find the post .

S

Naively I trusted booking agent and had also found a picture on Internet of cabin 12008which was not as it was !! I have brought this to the agents attention but they still haven't replied . I shall be chasing them up today ..........

If you end up with it, I believe you won't find it that bad. I was worried about the one I had for my TA a few months ago and tried to switch, upgrade, etc and never could. Turns out that it didn't bother me at all and it actually felt more private than a regular balcony.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

All, with all credit to SDMIKE, who put the Hull and Uncovered balcony information together in his 2 posts, I have collated into a spreadsheet which might be easier for search purposes sometimes. Any errors let me know. Again, thanks to SDMIKE who is the source of the information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wdpzXy7jy3tkoP_U9Ro5L5Im3jPONPS3MO9wfeXLb80/edit?usp=sharing

• 2 months later...

Wow!!!!! Thank You!! I cannot believe I came across this thread! I highly doubt I will be able to change my room at this point, sailing on April 22nd 2018, but I am sooooo dissapointed. I was promised over and over when I asked that I would not be in an obstructed view balcony and my room 14002 is definitely an obstructed view!!! I am so mad at this point and I will definitely be calling to see if anything can be done. I do know that my cruise is sold out though.