Questions about HAL Grand Voyages

S&B

We will be on a Grand Voyage in 2018 and I have a couple of questions. There are three segments and we will only be on 2 of them. LA to Sydney. I have read that on the Grand Voyages there are often times extra "treats" that are given out at night time. (other than our usual chocolate). Because we are only on the first and second segment will we be outcasts and not receive any of these "treats", It's not that it is so important but I think it is nice. And what are some of these nice things that we receive.

I understand that there are two set dining times. Are there also set tables or can you dine with different passengers every night? We have enjoyed meeting people during the dinner hour. If there are set tables does it last for the entire grand voyage?

Thanks for any answers. :)

We will be on a Grand Voyage in 2018 and I have a couple of questions. There are three segments and we will only be on 2 of them. LA to Sydney. I have read that on the Grand Voyages there are often times extra "treats" that are given out at night time. (other than our usual chocolate). Because we are only on the first and second segment will we be outcasts and not receive any of these "treats", It's not that it is so important but I think it is nice. And what are some of these nice things that we receive.

I understand that there are two set dining times. Are there also set tables or can you dine with different passengers every night? We have enjoyed meeting people during the dinner hour. If there are set tables does it last for the entire grand voyage?

Thanks for any answers. :)

Being on two segments means that you will be getting "special gifts" handed out when you are on board. You just won't be getting all gifts that are handed out during the entire GWV. During this year's GWV, everyone invited to the "Captain's dinner" (and pretty much everyone gets an invite since those dinners are usually once a week) in the PG received a set of dessert plates in the colors of different old HAL ad posters. Last year, that gift was a salt and pepper set, a replica of, I believe, a set handed out on the Statendam in the twenties.

Other gifts on this year's GWV were a wheeled travel bag, a crystal picture frame, a laptop carry bag, a note pad cover with pen, the 'Royal Goedewagen' Delft's Blue 2017 GWV plate, and other "stuff". You're bound to end up with several of those during your two segments

In addition to the two fixed seatings, the La Fontaine dining room will be open from 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm during the GWV, so you can dine with different guests if you so desire. On the various Gala nights different officers and those with officer status will be hosting tables in the main dining room

Umm, I think you have to be doing the full voyage to be invited to the Captain's Dinner, or at least that's the way it has been in the past (12 years). That said, they had a lot of full world guests on the 2017. The poor captain was hosting in the back room of the Pinnacle at least once a week. We went at the very end of the cruise and he was still quite cordial and seemed to be enjoying. Thumbs up to him.

leslie

Umm, I think you have to be doing the full voyage to be invited to the Captain's Dinner, or at least that's the way it has been in the past (12 years). That said, they had a lot of full world guests on the 2017. The poor captain was hosting in the back room of the Pinnacle at least once a week. We went at the very end of the cruise and he was still quite cordial and seemed to be enjoying. Thumbs up to him.

leslie

Think you are right. We took half of the WC in 2014 and again in 2017 and were not invited to the Captain's Dinner. In 2014 we received a "pillow gift" virtually every formal night. In 2017 it was every second or third formal night.

The pillow gifts are very nice, quite welcome and useful. A hard time to get some home as they can be large and breakable, so consider saving the boxes they come in. Strategic packing is the name of the game.

Enjoy your Grand! A great itinerary on a lovely ship!

Thanks everybody for all your answers. We are not on the World Voyage but the Asia Grand Voyage in 2018 starting in LA. Your answers have been very helpful.

I will be reporting here on the first segment of the 2017 Grand Asia. Feel free to ask any questions on my thread.

Roy

Thanks, Roy. I, along with a couple of others from our 2018 Grand Asia have read all of your 2017 roll call. We are anxious to hear all about your adventures. Thanks for letting us know. I would like to know what kind of activities you are planning on your sea days.

Sylvia

I will be reporting here on the first segment of the 2017 Grand Asia. Feel free to ask any questions on my thread.

Roy

Thank you in advance for your reporting. It will be of immense help to those of us on the 2018 Grand Asia. BTW, which agency or office did you use for your China visa?

I think you're wise to be following our roll call. I'm on the Prinsendam Grand Asia 2019 and am following the 2018 roll call for the same reason.

I'm leaving home for the Grand Asia September 20. I'll be on Amtrak to Seattle and then the Oosterdam Vancouver to San Diego. Look for a thread about then titled something like "Around the World on Amtrak, KLM, and HAL". (I'm flying Hong Kong to Rome for the Prinsendam Transatlantic).

Our roll call is very long and it's a bit tough to find individual posts but here's the one where I described my experience with the China Visa through HAL's provider:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53495117&postcount=1262

You're welcome to post any additional questions either here, on the roll call, or my live thread once it's set up.

Roy

As others have said, pillow gifts of different types, sizes, and value are a feature of a Grand Voyage. Most are very nice and useful. But, the issue becomes how to get them home safely? I had to buy a HAL bag from the Shops on Board to accommodate what I had purchased during the cruise and the pillow gifts. (I was not lucky enough to have a HAL bag gifted during the cruise as sometimes happens.)

Personally, I am in the "de-stuffing" (if that is a word) stage of my life and would prefer that HAL reduce the number of pillow gifts and use the "savings" to knock a few dollars off the price of the cruise.

Roy, is HAL shipping your luggage and, if so, have they notified you when it will be picked up?

I'm pretty sure HAL only covers shipping for those on the full Grand Voyage and then for certain categories. I think it's about category C or D and higher (the best but not all OV). I'm booked for the full 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America, in the single OV stateroom, and that doesn't qualify. The first category to qualify would be about another $5,000 and for that I can either ship a lot of luggage or rent a car and drive Fort Lauderdale and back.

Possibly too much information, but on my Grand Asia segment I'm doing somewhat what I did last year on the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise. I'm going Baltimore to Seattle by train and then the Oosterdam to San Diego. I'll travel light on the Oosterdam and have my biggest bag shipped to San Diego

When I went to Luggage Forward the latest date I could pick online to have my bag picked up was 3 days after I'll leave home. Per their instructions I booked with that pickup date and then called them and they changed the pickup date It was actually pretty easy. The price from Maryland to San Diego for a 50 pound bag was $124.

Roy

I'm pretty sure HAL only covers shipping for those on the full Grand Voyage and then for certain categories. I think it's about category C or D and higher (the best but not all OV). I'm booked for the full 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America, in the single OV stateroom, and that doesn't qualify. The first category to qualify would be about another $5,000 and for that I can either ship a lot of luggage or rent a car and drive Fort Lauderdale and back.

Possibly too much information, but on my Grand Asia segment I'm doing somewhat what I did last year on the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise. I'm going Baltimore to Seattle by train and then the Oosterdam to San Diego. I'll travel light on the Oosterdam and have my biggest bag shipped to San Diego

When I went to Luggage Forward the latest date I could pick online to have my bag picked up was 3 days after I'll leave home. Per their instructions I booked with that pickup date and then called them and they changed the pickup date It was actually pretty easy. The price from Maryland to San Diego for a 50 pound bag was $124.

Roy

Thanks so much for your prompt response. Although we do qualify for HAL's luggage delivery service, I was wondering if it is really worth it. Still, I assume I will have two bags for a 82-day voyage, and trudging those along would be a nuisance.

Roy, is HAL shipping your luggage and, if so, have they notified you when it will be picked up?

I'm not Roy but I called HAL to see when they would be picking up my bags. I was told that for me (Anniston, AL) the pickup was on 18 Sep between 1 and 4 pm. Not sure if it is different for different parts of the country. Lady at luggage services was very nice and helpful. Rick

I'm not Roy but I called HAL to see when they would be picking up my bags. I was told that for me (Anniston, AL) the pickup was on 18 Sep between 1 and 4 pm. Not sure if it is different for different parts of the country. Lady at luggage services was very nice and helpful. Rick

Thanks for the info. If a two-week time frame is typical, I can deal with that. Easier than schlepping the bags in and out of airports, cabs, etc.

One last question: How many bags pp. do you think would be practical/necessary/desirable - whatever? Besides a carryon, that is.

Thanks for the info. If a two-week time frame is typical, I can deal with that. Easier than schlepping the bags in and out of airports, cabs, etc.

One last question: How many bags pp. do you think would be practical/necessary/desirable - whatever? Besides a carryon, that is.

Let me start by saying that this is my first cruise with HAL (Grand Asia). Had a 50 day with Viking ocean and a 27 day with Viking river so I am not really the one to say. Given that, my wife and I are taking 2 bags each plus 1 carryon. We are over packing I know (50 day was 2 bags plus 1 carryon) but hope to learn from this trip. Each bag will have a little room since I hear that HAL gives out gifts during each segment of the trip. And since I don't have to pay extra, and don't have to haul them thru airports, I figure why not? :D

FWIW, I tried a test booking from Annniston to the Amsterdam with Luggage Forward. The default pickup date was September 22. Either HAL is using someone other than their usual provider for this or they're adding a few days cushion in case of unexpected delays.

Roy