Stargazing on the Oasis?

amzgirl

Anyone know if there is any sort of stargazing lecture on the Oasis any more?

Also if the helipad is open for observation? I know there is no flash photography there.

Any other good places to stargaze with a binoculars? (besides our balcony, of course!)

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know if there is any sort of stargazing lecture on the Oasis any more?

Also if the helipad is open for observation? I know there is no flash photography there.

Any other good places to stargaze with a binoculars? (besides our balcony, of course!)

Thanks in advance.

The helipad is accessible by invitation only.

When we were on Allure last fall there was a small open deck area outside the windows of the Ocean Adventure. I recall we went out and were able to lie down on this little jut out deck area with a good view of the sky. No idea what it looked like by daylight but I know it had windows into all the ocean adventure rooms as we were spying on our 3 year old :-) There were about a half dozen people out in that area. But if I recall we had walked out some glass doors after picking our daughter up at the camp and after star gazing awhile we were walking back in as a security guard was coming down the hall and he seemed rather annoyed with everyone one, shoe'd us all in and locked the doors. So, not sure we were supposed to be out there in the dark! But, we just walked on through the glass doors that opened as we approached.

I don't suppose there's any way to wrangle an invitation?

I may have missed other reports, but he only time I've heard of guests on the helipad is when they have been invited to a sailaway, during the day.

When we were on Allure last fall there was a small open deck area outside the windows of the Ocean Adventure. I recall we went out and were able to lie down on this little jut out deck area with a good view of the sky. No idea what it looked like by daylight but I know it had windows into all the ocean adventure rooms as we were spying on our 3 year old :-) There were about a half dozen people out in that area. But if I recall we had walked out some glass doors after picking our daughter up at the camp and after star gazing awhile we were walking back in as a security guard was coming down the hall and he seemed rather annoyed with everyone one, shoe'd us all in and locked the doors. So, not sure we were supposed to be out there in the dark! But, we just walked on through the glass doors that opened as we approached.

Hmmmm, I will keep that area in mind, thank you. I did just email RCL to see if there will be any kind of stargazing activity. They mentioned on the website that there are sometimes talks so I thought what the heck I might as well ask. Thanks again. I will probably just have to go exploring with my binoculars for dark areas.

Oddly enough someone just posted this video of Allure (which I assume is the same as Oasis) and the spot I mentioned above is shown at 2:05-2:06. We used my husband cell phone. His phone had no data but he has a star gazing app that works without data and it shows you where all the constellations are when you hold it up to the sky. It's a samsung phone. no idea of the app name and he's asleep right now. But it has come in handy numerous times to orient us for our star gazing.

Hmmmm, I will keep that area in mind, thank you. I did just email RCL to see if there will be any kind of stargazing activity. They mentioned on the website that there are sometimes talks so I thought what the heck I might as well ask. Thanks again. I will probably just have to go exploring with my binoculars for dark areas.

That area is the observation deck on deck 14 forward. Access is by the port side passenger corridor. Go all the way forward, through a door.

I have seen this sort of thing advertised; usually they will dim lights in an area for an hour or so to reduce light pollution. can't remember if it was RCI or Princess, but definitely has been advertised on a cruise. You may find areas on the walking track shielded from like as well to look out at night.

I don't suppose there's any way to wrangle an invitation?

I've done everything but beg :o Ok, maybe I did beg a little.

To the OP take your binoculars, they will help, but the night sky on Oasis isn't much better than being on Miami Beach at night. She is lit up like a Disney parade and your eyes will never adjust, especially if you are over 40. Add in the humid air acts like a diffuser and really adds to the glow the ship gives off.

I am a avid amateur astronomer and the only advantage a cruise ship gives under normal circumstances is in the caribbean I can see further south than I can in Ohio.

nsp1.jpg

... I am a avid amateur astronomer and the only advantage a cruise ship gives under normal circumstances is in the caribbean I can see further south than I can in Ohio.

True, we saw the Southern Cross once while cruising between Aruba and Curacao.

I may have missed other reports, but he only time I've heard of guests on the helipad is when they have been invited to a sailaway, during the day.

They use to have sailaway parties for suite guests and upper tier down to Diamond until 6 months before I became Diamond. (So its my fault). When I finally did get on the ship I did the all access tour. I asked our guide if we could go out there. She was a bump on a log and didn't even bother answering me, but we didn't go. The tour before ours did. Thwarted again.

I have seen this sort of thing advertised; usually they will dim lights in an area for an hour or so to reduce light pollution. can't remember if it was RCI or Princess, but definitely has been advertised on a cruise. You may find areas on the walking track shielded from like as well to look out at night.

Princess....

I have brought binoculars on 22 of my 23 cruises hoping for good stargazing. It has always been a disappointment for me. Clear nights, new moon - it never mattered. I always go to the darkest available location on the ship. Still no luck; too much of a glow from ship lighting. An average night back home in Delaware is always better.

To the OP take your binoculars, they will help, but the night sky on Oasis isn't much better than being on Miami Beach at night. She is lit up like a Disney parade and your eyes will never adjust, especially if you are over 40. Add in the humid air acts like a diffuser and really adds to the glow the ship gives off.

I am a avid amateur astronomer and the only advantage a cruise ship gives under normal circumstances is in the caribbean I can see further south than I can in Ohio.

nsp1.jpg

Nice Dob!

Wayyyyy back when the Oasis first came out there was star gazing. There was an Activity Staff member who was an amateur astronomer/stargazer. I don’t know the technical name. Everyone would meet at the On Air Club and he’d lead everyone out to the helipad. It was really neat! We did it twice on one sailing because he did it at the beginning, we were headed west, and again later in the week, headed east.

He brought out a laser pointer. No one was allowed to bring cameras. Lots of rules but if you can obey them it was a nice treat!

We did it May of 2010. But I heard that when that staff member left the company it stopped because no one else had the knowledge to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree there is usually too much light on cruise ships for really good stargazing. I'm sure this is a safety issue. But I wish ships would regularly schedule a stargazing "lights out" spot or lecture.

We were very fortunate earlier this year on a Panama Canal cruise to sail in a forward-facing stateroom on the NCL Jewel, right under the bridge. NO light at all allowed on your balcony at night, and curtains had to be drawn. No light pollution on those balconies whatsoever. The darkness was fantastic; we could see the Milky Way. And, the two nights before we entered the Canal, we could see the Southern Cross. Spectacular star gazing.

nsp1.jpg

What is that, something in the 12 inch f/5 range? It’s hard to tell from the photo but most larger scopes I’ve seen have an open truss rather than a closed tube. It looks like nice unobstructed observing territory.

The only place on a cruise ship I’ve ever had any luck observing from was on ships with access to the helipad. Just naked eye stuff, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums