Any news on captain Bob's tours?

2littleprincesses

We just booked for the end of December. Lunch will be on Pinel Island. He says that they are good to go. As much as he wants to get up and running I don't think that he would risk his overall business if it weren't ready for water tours. Now are fingers are crossed for great weather

We just booked for the end of December. Lunch will be on Pinel Island. He says that they are good to go. As much as he wants to get up and running I don't think that he would risk his overall business if it weren't ready for water tours. Now are fingers are crossed for great weather

99Florida

If you can, please let us know how the tour was

And how the island/facilities looked.

I will be especially interested in your review of the lunch location.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

99Florida

If you can, please let us know how the tour was

And how the island/facilities looked.

I will be especially interested in your review of the lunch location.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

f

No problem but just in case respond to this post at the end of the month (December) and I'll fill you in on our day.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on Jan 6 Freedom sailing and want to book with Captain Bob. We were booked with him end of 2016 but the excursion was cancelled due to bad weather. He get's such good reviews on Trip Advisor I think we are ok booking it. I would like to get some recent feedback on recent excursions but haven't been able to find any.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just got back from our cruise and had a wonderful time on Capt. Bob's tour. He's really more of a cruise broker and hires out. Aka... Billy Bones Tours -they usually go in and out of Simpson Bay as Bob had the monopoly out of Chesterfields ion Great Bay. Al was our captain once again (great young man). There was "no" hot meal as in the past simply due to places totally destroyed and have yet to rebuild. Has a bit of a ways to go however the ham and cheese, chicken, or tuna salad baguette sandwiches were just fine. They had cheesecake for dessert. Water, soda, or Presidente beer. Pinel was just that an island. The left side restaurant was just beginning to open but again rebuilding will take time. No ferries yet to Pinel. Just private boats or tot operators. Need to be careful walking around. Snorkeling was decent and the boat ride itself was great. My eyes were just stunned from all the destruction. Yachts submerged here and there, etc.... French side really has a long way to go. A lot of areas seen from the boat tour is wiped out. Oh my gosh, the Sonesta at Maho Beach will be more than at least a year before opening for sure. Downtown Great Bay/Front Street looked far better than expected and the people are so happy to see visitors again. Enjoy your trip. We sure did.

Ok, just got back from our cruise and had a wonderful time on Capt. Bob's tour. He's really more of a cruise broker and hires out. Aka... Billy Bones Tours -they usually go in and out of Simpson Bay as Bob had the monopoly out of Chesterfields ion Great Bay. Al was our captain once again (great young man). There was "no" hot meal as in the past simply due to places totally destroyed and have yet to rebuild. Has a bit of a ways to go however the ham and cheese, chicken, or tuna salad baguette sandwiches were just fine. They had cheesecake for dessert. Water, soda, or Presidente beer. Pinel was just that an island. The left side restaurant was just beginning to open but again rebuilding will take time. No ferries yet to Pinel. Just private boats or tot operators. Need to be careful walking around. Snorkeling was decent and the boat ride itself was great. My eyes were just stunned from all the destruction. Yachts submerged here and there, etc.... French side really has a long way to go. A lot of areas seen from the boat tour is wiped out. Oh my gosh, the Sonesta at Maho Beach will be more than at least a year before opening for sure. Downtown Great Bay/Front Street looked far better than expected and the people are so happy to see visitors again. Enjoy your trip. We sure did.

Thank you for your review, we are scheduled with Captain Bob mid January. Just to clarify a few points. You were sent to another tour operator? Pinel Island has no restaurants, you were served a sandwich? Snorkeling was just ok .. fish, turtles? I know the Island is recovering, but at $120 I’m not sure this is for us right now. When I confirmed our reservation last week, I asked what changes we would have to our tour. Answer was “all is well.”

Debr

Yes another tour operator but he won't tell you that. He hires them hence: a boat broker. If he owns any boat personally, it would be one or two at most. He's got a great gig going and we've done Billy Bones out of Simpson Bay. They drove their boat over to Chesterdields, Bob did the $$$ end of it and we all boarded the speed boat owned by Billy Bones. He just doesn't tell you that. It's fine really. Pinel was wiped out!!! The left side restaurant is s-l-o-w-l-y coming back. Only a handful of chairs and that's it. Yes, just a baguette sandwich, no chips, fruit, or vegetables. They did have individual cheesecake but didn't try it. Concerned about refrigeration on my part. Snorkeling was ok - good - that's it.

Yes another tour operator but he won't tell you that. He hires them hence: a boat broker. If he owns any boat personally, it would be one or two at most. He's got a great gig going and we've done Billy Bones out of Simpson Bay. They drove their boat over to Chesterdields, Bob did the $$$ end of it and we all boarded the speed boat owned by Billy Bones. He just doesn't tell you that. It's fine really. Pinel was wiped out!!! The left side restaurant is s-l-o-w-l-y coming back. Only a handful of chairs and that's it. Yes, just a baguette sandwich, no chips, fruit, or vegetables. They did have individual cheesecake but didn't try it. Concerned about refrigeration on my part. Snorkeling was ok - good - that's it.[/quote

Oh, and a $50 tip $30 to Al and $20 to his assistant :p

Yes another tour operator but he won't tell you that. He hires them hence: a boat broker. If he owns any boat personally, it would be one or two at most. He's got a great gig going and we've done Billy Bones out of Simpson Bay. They drove their boat over to Chesterdields, Bob did the $$$ end of it and we all boarded the speed boat owned by Billy Bones. He just doesn't tell you that. It's fine really. Pinel was wiped out!!! The left side restaurant is s-l-o-w-l-y coming back. Only a handful of chairs and that's it. Yes, just a baguette sandwich, no chips, fruit, or vegetables. They did have individual cheesecake but didn't try it. Concerned about refrigeration on my part. Snorkeling was ok - good - that's it.[/quote

Wow, not sounding good ..

Debr

I booked with Billy bones charters directly. They go to the same places. I've been on capt Bob tour and it was nice but I felt too many people on our boat and one family drank all the drinks because cooler was in back of boat. Now being on a speed boat it isn't that easy to walk around or hear so by the time my family of 6$ realized It, the drinks were pretty much wiped out of soft drinks. It was a nice day but I've had better speedboat trips in st Lucia and grand Turk for example.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Rethinking our day. Were there vendors at the pier area.. local crafts, etc.? Enough to occupy you for a while?

Debr

I booked with Billy bones charters directly. They go to the same places. I've been on capt Bob tour and it was nice but I felt too many people on our boat and one family drank all the drinks because cooler was in back of boat. Now being on a speed boat it isn't that easy to walk around or hear so by the time my family of 6$ realized It, the drinks were pretty much wiped out of soft drinks. It was a nice day but I've had better speedboat trips in st Lucia and grand Turk for example.

Was Billy Bones cheaper than Captain Bob? I'm disappointed because there are 7 of us reserved for next week so too late to cancel unless I want to lose deposit. I thought his original excursion included a nice hot lunch. I would think if he had to switch it to baguette sandwich because of the hurricane he would adjust his pricing.

Rethinking our day. Were there vendors at the pier area.. local crafts, etc.? Enough to occupy you for a while?

Debr

I wish I could rethink or day too, but we already have paid deposit for 7 of us. I have always heard such good reports on Captain Bob's excursions. Also surprised he is not adjusting his pricing if he is not able to provide same quality of lunch as prior to hurricane.

I wish I could rethink or day too, but we already have paid deposit for 7 of us. I have always heard such good reports on Captain Bob's excursions. Also surprised he is not adjusting his pricing if he is not able to provide same quality of lunch as prior to hurricane.

We, too were disappointed in finding out that it would be just sandwiches b/c I even asked in an email and he said everything was good to go. Of course he won't tell you b/c he wants the business. I agree that the price definitely should have been adjusted but what were we to do?

Was Billy Bones cheaper than Captain Bob? I'm disappointed because there are 7 of us reserved for next week so too late to cancel unless I want to lose deposit. I thought his original excursion included a nice hot lunch. I would think if he had to switch it to baguette sandwich because of the hurricane he would adjust his pricing.

Billy Bones normally does not go out of the Great Bay Area (Chesterfields) but rather Simpson Bay. With the rebuilding now many will go out of their way for business. Bob has the monopoly of the Chesterfield area so when he can fill a boat (14-17max) and needs a boat he sources out and that's the only reason Billy Bones took the job. Of course Bob gets a nice cut out of the tours. I agree about lunch. We were very disappointed and I even asked him in an email and he replied back that we would be having lunch on Pinel. Obviously that was not an option and won't be for some time. The French side Grand Case is totally wiped out on the beach so no hot lunch will be there for quite some time. He should lower his prices but he's a business man and won't. It was more of a woe is me b/c he lost so much business due to the hurricane. If he would just be honest and up front about it then It would be more than understanding. B/C he did this it makes you want to rethink for future trips there now. Just be up front when asked and not deceive. We had a fun time with Al so all is good.

I don't know. I just didn't want to do captain Bob again. I wanted to try someone different. I know he has a huge fan club on here and on trip adv. I just have had better tours. I got a little pissed when he charged me more for using PayPal because it cost him more. It was about 1.5 percent and I thought you're making 600 off of me and you are actually going to get that extra $9? I don't know. I know it's a business. I remember him sending me links for the restaurant that they use to send money after the hurricane and I didn't feel comfortable. But if you already booked then have fun. It's a beautiful island