Silversea cruiser, first time on Azamara Quest to Cuba today

Tarwood3

So we have been looking forward to this cruise. After several cruises with Silversea, we wanted to try something different. We have loved our SS cruises, theyjust seem a little low energy and while the ships are nice, we never feel “wow’d” by them . We are 45 and 50 and so at times, we have felt quite young on SS, very few our age. We boarded this afternoon and were immediately impressed. The ship is so beautiful. Love the decor, colors, set up etc. We LOVE our cabin..its a Club Continent Suite 8036. I like the width of the room...feels very spacious. We immediately did lunch at Windows Cafe on the aft deck. Food was very good, loved the bar and sitting area on aft of ship. After lunch we walked around the ship and really thought all the spaces were beautiful especially the Living Room. Very excited to see how food, service and all compare to SS. One thing we haven’t liked so far was having to buy a drink package, whereas SS its all free. And on SS we can make dining reservations for speciality restaurants 120 days before sailing, ...on here we did it after lunch and got terrible times for Aqualina and Prime C.....oh well, we will make the best of it...

Unless you had specific preferences for top shelf liquors, it was not necessary to buy a liquor package. Two choices of red wine, two of white, one rose, and one sparkling wine are available in all dining venues and at every bar whenever open, as are standard brand liquors and many popular mixed drinks.

Regarding specialty dining reservations, we had to deal with the "advance" reservations on Regent and found it very inconvenient to make the reservations at one o'clock in the morning eastern time, and we were limited to one reservation in each specialty restaurant. Any additional reservations we had to fight for once on-board.

Wish you had asked about dining reservations here on the Azamara board before your cruise. We make ours immediately upon boarding, as we are usually in a suite and want to take advantage of not having a charge for specialty dining. You might want to consider one of the Chef's Tables if you are into fine dining.

Happy that you are finding the ship attractive. I agree that the "reimagining" was very well done. The Club Continent suites, in particular, do feel very spacious as they are 50% wider than the standard staterooms. Never been on a Silverseas ship, but some of the "suites" on Regent's Navigator, while having big square footage, are very narrow, so, despite the overall size, they still felt small and somewhat confining to me.

Enjoy your cruise. Be sure to introduce yourselves to hotel director Ryszard and Captain Jose when you see them around the ship.

Unless you had specific preferences for top shelf liquors, it was not necessary to buy a liquor package. Two choices of red wine, two of white, one rose, and one sparkling wine are available in all dining venues and at every bar whenever open, as are standard brand liquors and many popular mixed drinks.

Does this vary from boat to boat?

Our complimentary package does not mention rose or sparkling. And only one red/white rather than two.

Boutique Wines

Our current boutique wine list features a regularly changing selection of one red and one white wine by the glass each day throughout your voyage.

We source some of our boutique wines locally while the ships are sailing in wine-producing regions such as Italy, France, and Spain.

When the ships are sailing in regions such as Asia, northern Europe, or regions where local wines are not as common, we offer a selection of wines from around the world.

Tony

Wish you had asked about dining reservations here on the Azamara board before your cruise. We make ours immediately upon boarding, as we are usually in a suite and want to take advantage of not having a charge for specialty dining. You might want to consider one of the Chef's Tables if you are into fine dining.

OK. I'll ask then. I have not been given any information about speciality dining. I am in a Club Continental Suite. What does this entitle me to and how do I deal with it?

Tony

OK. I'll ask then. I have not been given any information about speciality dining. I am in a Club Continental Suite. What does this entitle me to and how do I deal with it?

Tony

All suites can eat in the specialties for free as many times as you like. There will be a desk set up in the terminal building just after you've checked in for the purpose of booking times or on the ship in Windows Cafe. It's a good idea to book early to get the times you want. You might need to be a bit flexible, but I've never had an issue. Both Aqualina and Prime C are very nice, but I don't feel the need to eat there every night. I like Indian Buffet evening and eating on deck for White Night if the weather is good (one of the Specialties will be open that night if you don't want to buffet it). I'd also recommend the Indonesian Rjsttafel if you like that sort of thing. Ask about it when you board as it isn't heavily advertised.

Phil

All suites can eat in the specialties for free as many times as you like. There will be a desk set up in the terminal building just after you've checked in for the purpose of booking times or on the ship in Windows Cafe. It's a good idea to book early to get the times you want. You might need to be a bit flexible, but I've never had an issue. Both Aqualina and Prime C are very nice, but I don't feel the need to eat there every night. I like Indian Buffet evening and eating on deck for White Night if the weather is good (one of the Specialties will be open that night if you don't want to buffet it). I'd also recommend the Indonesian Rjsttafel if you like that sort of thing. Ask about it when you board as it isn't heavily advertised.

Phil

Add to that you might want a night on the Patio to enjoy outdoor eating and a slight change in the type of menu - like Phil I have not now got the capacity for two weeks specialities, but they are lovely and they are including more and more nightly specials to further enhance the menu in Aqualina and Prime C. The waiters often do not tell you the specials when you first get the menu, some only mention them when you are ordering so try and remember whenever they give you the menu to ask about the specials then - saves having to do a complex "rechoose" when the new information comes in, if like me, you are trying to balance the tastes of each course.

Thanks Phil,

That info is out of date. It's now as marinaro quoted, from mid-2016.

I wonder how much more of the Amazara web site is out of date? I am looking at add-on packages. We do like a glass of fizz and I almost committed myself to a package that included it. Now I learn that it comes FOC.

Tony

Add to that you might want a night on the Patio to enjoy outdoor eating and a slight change in the type of menu - like Phil I have not now got the capacity for two weeks specialities

We are new to Azamara - regular Seabourn and Silver Seas folk. There we eat on deck as often as possible and avoid the fine dining at all times as, with them anyway, it is no finer than in the Main Dining Room or the next one down in size.

We like the specialities when they do them in the Seabourn second dining room as it has the effect of going out to different restaurants.

Silver Seas currently theme their second dining room as Italian - but sadly not particularly good Italian..

Are you saying that it is only the speciality restaurants that ring the changes? I don't fancy booking them the moment we board ship. To me it sounds a bit like being asked what you want for pudding before the starter and mains have been served. Some places do - but rarely the quality spots.

Tony

Thanks Phil,

That info is out of date. It's now as marinaro quoted, from mid-2016.

I wonder how much more of the Amazara web site is out of date? I am looking at add-on packages. We do like a glass of fizz and I almost committed myself to a package that included it. Now I learn that it comes FOC.

Tony

Don't forget you can always buy an upgraded glass of fizz if you want to as you go. Here's a wine list with prices:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/prime_c_wine_list_june_2014.pdf

Phil

I like Indian Buffet evening . I'd also recommend the Indonesian Rjsttafel.

Where do they do these?

Tony

It varies, sometimes they serve it on the Patio, best thing to do as you will be on Journey get to know Alex the Restaurant Manager of the specialities, he will keep you right on everything and will be able to tell you exactly what is happening, when and where. He and Lazio his assistant are great. I think you are on our Christmas cruise, so some of the usual plans will be a little different to a "normal cruise" - different options will come into play, thats why I think Alex/Laz are the best to keep you right.

As regards fiz I pay as I go so to speak, works out a better deal for us but you can do the maths based on Phils list. I would try the fizz they have and see if it works for you - its a sparkling white, not a champagne of course, but it works for me most nights. Hogmanay will be different!

Thanks Phil,

Two points.

That PDF is headed 2014. Is that the date? I guess that in Harpenden the cost of fizz has gone up a lot in the last three years. It certainly has in SW6.

Going for the Californian fizz only one glass a day for myself and my wife would clock up 360 USD - making an add-on package a snip. But, if it is FOC anyway, as suggested a few posts ago, it is academic.

Tony

Add to that you might want a night on the Patio to enjoy outdoor eating and a slight change in the type of menu - like Phil I have not now got the capacity for two weeks specialities

We are new to Azamara - regular Seabourn and Silver Seas folk. There we eat on deck as often as possible and avoid the fine dining at all times as, with them anyway, it is no finer than in the Main Dining Room or the next one down in size.

We like the specialities when they do them in the Seabourn second dining room as it has the effect of going out to different restaurants.

Silver Seas currently theme their second dining room as Italian - but sadly not particularly good Italian..

Are you saying that it is only the speciality restaurants that ring the changes? I don't fancy booking them the moment we board ship. To me it sounds a bit like being asked what you want for pudding before the starter and mains have been served. Some places do - but rarely the quality spots.

Tony

The general advice is try and book a few on boarding as they can fill up. On the cruise you are on you have four dates (24/25/31 and 1) that you might want to think about now as they get very busy. As Phil says, if you can be flexible on time and location (Prime C or Aqualina) you can usually be fitted it. Two is easier to fit in than 6 etc. They really do all they can to work around what you want. You can use your butler to make the bookings to save you time, they usually can get slots relatively painlessly however I always write down what I want and take a picture of what I gave him (one of the butlers is less good at getting it right in our experience, though maybe he has been retrained since we gave the hotel director the feedback and I know she was acting on it).

My advice is book the specialities on boarding, even if you have a butler. Ours got nearly every timing we requested wrong on Quest in July but luckily we were able to change the times once we realised.

The special buffet nights in Windows are great too. Italian buffet is much better than the Silversea offerings and you can eat outside. The Indian buffet is spectacular....I think it's the best food on the ship. Aqualina and Prime C are very good too but I think Silversea has the edge for steaks as opposed to Azamara's Prime C. I love the Dover Sole, Veal, Lobster Ravioli and the Limoncello Soufflé in Aqualina.

The dress code on Azamara is far more casual than Silversea and there are no formal nights, but White Night is huge fun. Nightly entertainment on Azamara tends to be less classic music than SS, more middle of the road pop or jazz with good pianists and excellent Ukrainian or Russian dancers. Like SS the cruise directors are all excellent entertainers and not just MC's.

I'm sure you will enjoy Azamara as much as Silversea.

This link is to the section of the web-site that shows the complimentary drinks ( but it doesn’t mention the sparkling or rose wine. It also doesn’t mention that a zero beer and wine and sparkling water are included).

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

The bottom of the page on this next link shows what people in suites are entitled to, but it doesn’t mention that Suite Guests can use the thalassotherapy pool at the front of the ship on Deck 9.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/our-ships/suites

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Thanks Host Grandma.

See you are from the East Riding. I come from Willerby and my wife is from Anlaby - but we've been in London for ages.

Thanks for the beverage link. It is a shame it is apparently wrong. As it shows one is almost forced into a paying package if one does not want the risk of the one red or white not being to one's taste.

The suite link does at least show that the special restaurants are available at no cost. 235 minutes of internet are not going to go far on a 15 day trip if one wants to do more than pick up messages.

Thanks Lottie about the special evenings. Presumably they are all listed by day, theme and restaurant when you reach your cabin on boarding day. If not I can envisage quite a bit of confusion and disappointment.

Tony

Tony

Being in a suite allows you to dine in a specialty at no charge, but does not guarantee a reservation. Ask your butler if he can get additional reservations for you. You can request something a day in advance, for example a veal chop.

Use the forward deck at the spa. It's available for suite passengers at no charge. There's a large hot tub there that's rarely used and a number of nice loungers. Much more private than the deck 9 pool area.

Ask for a list of the theme buffets at Windows. Pick your favorites and sit at the aft outdoor area to enjoy the sea air.

uktog,

On the cruise you are on you have four dates (24/25/31 and 1) that you might want to think about now as they get very busy.

Sound advice but how do I go about finding out what is where on those four nights?

Tony

Ask Alex or one of the dining team at the reservations desk- that is the easiest, I would expect both 24th and 31st will be smarter dinners. The Pursuits will show the buffets and white nights.

If I find anything out before hand I will post on the roll call, there is some entertainment I do not want to miss and will be asking an onboard source the week before we go about it (too early to ask just now)

Thanks Host Grandma.

See you are from the East Riding. I come from Willerby and my wife is from Anlaby - but we've been in London for ages.

Thanks for the beverage link. It is a shame it is apparently wrong. As it shows one is almost forced into a paying package if one does not want the risk of the one red or white not being to one's taste.

The suite link does at least show that the special restaurants are available at no cost. 235 minutes of internet are not going to go far on a 15 day trip if one wants to do more than pick up messages.

Thanks Lottie about the special evenings. Presumably they are all listed by day, theme and restaurant when you reach your cabin on boarding day. If not I can envisage quite a bit of confusion and disappointment.

Tony

I agree most of the links are useless these days better to ask the questions here!

Yes 235 minutes will not go far but they will also give you as an alternative $150 off an internet package. I believe unlimited internet for that cruise will be $300 so one device price would be $150 for a suite guest and highest level loyalty folks as well. (One device means one device logged on - I use it across the phone, mac etc its just DH and I cannot be on at the same time, not a problem for us)

Thanks Host Grandma.

Tony

I agree with uktog. Ask the questions when you are on the ship. The best person to talk dining and meals has already been mentioned as Alex in Prime C, but any of the Maitre d's or assistants will be able to help. If you are worried about the included drinks wait a day or two and if it's not working for you then talk to one of the Sommeliers and buy a beverage package. Not sure who is on Journey at the moment, but both Sheldon and Martin as Sommeliers are excellent.

The one thing you'll find on Azamara is it's relaxed and the staff engaging if you speak to them properly.

Phil

I agree most of the links are useless these days better to ask the questions here!

Yes 235 minutes will not go far but they will also give you as an alternative $150 off an internet package. I believe unlimited internet for that cruise will be $300 so one device price would be $150 for a suite guest and highest level loyalty folks as well. (One device means one device logged on - I use it across the phone, mac etc its just DH and I cannot be on at the same time, not a problem for us)

At least the 235 mins is for each person in the stateroom. We each had our own passcode for logins and 235mins each. I used all mine up but my partner still had some time left as I did all the facebook postings for both of us.