Pin number needed?

To ensure you are able to use your card I would ensure that you have a PIN for it, will save any angst that it may cause if you need one and don't have it. There are also the ones that you either "tap or wave" in front of the machine and you don't need to sign or PIN. FYI - one of our cards we took to the US for a trip would only work with certain machines. Luckily we had another card which we could use when that one wouldn't work.

As others have said, times they are a changin':

Info on CBA website for merchants:

What’s changing?

All transactions processed on Australian issued cards at a POS terminal will soon require a PIN.

What about International Cards?

These changes are for Australian issued cards only. Your terminal will continue to process all other transactions as normal.

Why the change?

This is an industry driven initiative. Transactions processed using a PIN are much safer than signing, reducing the number of disputed and fraudulent transactions you may experience.

PIN transactions are also faster to process, reducing the time your customers are standing in line.

When will the changes come into effect?

The exact date is still to be finalised, but likely to be within the next 12 months.

We will update all our merchants as soon as we are aware of the date. You can check back to this page in early 2014 when we hope to be able to communicate a date.

There will be a period of approximately 3 months where issuers will still approve transactions where the cardholder signs rather than PINs. Post this timeframe, transactions will be declined when a PIN is not used to authorise the transaction.

What cards will be impacted?

All Australian issued credit and debit cards including MasterCard®; Visa; AMEX® and Diners cards will require a PIN as authorisation.

We have been getting mail about this for a little while.

Happy Cruising

Worldwide more and more we have found even when your signature is okayed by the operator the machine then requests a "pin number" so i say best to have one attached to the card

and

don't forget to advise your card issuer of what countries you are travelling to and for how long you will be away.... they can, they did:D, block your card from being used because of what they regard as suspicious activity......

cheers Shiona

As others have said, times they are a changin':

Info on CBA website for merchants:

What’s changing?

All transactions processed on Australian issued cards at a POS terminal will soon require a PIN.

What about International Cards?

These changes are for Australian issued cards only. Your terminal will continue to process all other transactions as normal.

Why the change?

This is an industry driven initiative. Transactions processed using a PIN are much safer than signing, reducing the number of disputed and fraudulent transactions you may experience.

PIN transactions are also faster to process, reducing the time your customers are standing in line.

When will the changes come into effect?

The exact date is still to be finalised, but likely to be within the next 12 months.

We will update all our merchants as soon as we are aware of the date. You can check back to this page in early 2014 when we hope to be able to communicate a date.

There will be a period of approximately 3 months where issuers will still approve transactions where the cardholder signs rather than PINs. Post this timeframe, transactions will be declined when a PIN is not used to authorise the transaction.

What cards will be impacted?

All Australian issued credit and debit cards including MasterCard®; Visa; AMEX® and Diners cards will require a PIN as authorisation.

We have been getting mail about this for a little while.

Happy Cruising

The first time it happened to me was in NZ, I was about to sign and was advised that signatures were no longer valid in NZ, only pins....for me, it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure others could find it a real problem....when I spoke to my bank, I was told the Australia was going that way also....I understand that it eventually be a global thing....

The first time it happened to me was in NZ, I was about to sign and was advised that signatures were no longer valid in NZ, only pins....for me, it wasn't an issue, but I'm sure others could find it a real problem....when I spoke to my bank, I was told the Australia was going that way also....I understand that it eventually be a global thing....

Thats while its suits them. I had a small glitch with a card I use everyday..... the terminal kept refusing it , but no problem the checkout operator just got me to sign.......so they still accept signatures in NZ when they need or have to.:rolleyes:

Thats while its suits them. I had a small glitch with a card I use everyday..... the terminal kept refusing it , but no problem the checkout operator just got me to sign.......so they still accept signatures in NZ when they need or have to.:rolleyes:

No worries, I know I was refused & as a safety measure, it wouldnt hurt to be prepared anyway......I can only go by personal experience & what I was told by that bank…..as a result of my experience I rarely sign a credit card....Amex being the exception & then only on the rare occasion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk