personal item bag for international flight

Cruiseoholic000

I am going to Europe in the summer with a carry on and a personal item bag. I heard that if the personal item has wheels this will not work. As the airlines will call it a carry on luggage.

I would like something, that a lock can go through as this will be stored at the hotel. In addition the back needs an opening to slide on my luggage handle. Did find one that might work but sold out Prottoni travel bag on amazon. Thinking try to bring over relatively empty and back with souvenirs. So what does everyone recommend? Thanks.

Well, your personal item is supposed to be just that - something like a purse or small backpack, laptop case, etc. - rather than another piece of luggage. I would check what dimensions your airline gives for personal items and go from there.

“Personal items must be able to fit securely under the seat in front of the passenger.” https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

“ Delta SO WHAT EXACTLY IS ALLOWED?

Approved Personal Items

1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag

or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked)

or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take a small backpack with my flight essentials and small purse inside it. An older version of this https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Packs-Daylite-Backpack-Real/dp/B019TT9MYM/ref=pd_sim_468_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B019TT9MYM&pd_rd_r=W956PSZW3HFRFK0YVH3Q&pd_rd_w=Y1arb&pd_rd_wg=coVSg&psc=1&refRID=W956PSZW3HFRFK0YVH3Q

We also pack a Le Sportsac small duffle for anything we accumulate (actuallly stuff it with laundry and put anything "fragile" in carry-on bag). You can lock them through the zipper pull -- we use a small cable lock.

I am going to Europe in the summer with a carry on and a personal item bag. I heard that if the personal item has wheels this will not work. As the airlines will call it a carry on luggage.

I would like something, that a lock can go through as this will be stored at the hotel. In addition the back needs an opening to slide on my luggage handle. Did find one that might work but sold out Prottoni travel bag on amazon. Thinking try to bring over relatively empty and back with souvenirs. So what does everyone recommend? Thanks.

You might want to look at a Targus computer bag. You don't have to put a computer inside it.

Also be aware that the "personal item" is not a universal concept across international carriers. Many restrict you to one piece only. And some carriers even have a zero carryon ticket. What you might be able to take on DL/UA/AA can be far from allowed on other airlines. (And we're not even talking weight allowances yet)

But, since you don't bother to mention your possible airlines.....good luck.

This is the bag I have, after extensive research: https://www.loandsons.com/the-og. ( not sure which size I have, there are two sizes and I selected the one that is closest to the personal item limits). It is not inexpensive but it is well made

I chose this for the pockets (lots), the zippered slide for over my roller bag; the separate internal shoe or dirty laundry zippered pocket on the bottom; and the style features ( gold zipper and lavender inside to make it easier to see what is inside). It would be easy to add a cable lock.

It has fit under the seat in all domestic/Canadian carriers, even though it is slightly larger than some airlines indicate. It is “squishable” vs.hard sided. I put a small cross body bag inside so I can use that when pre- and post- flight. Some airlines let me board with my cross-body bag still on my person; but some request that I take it off.

Regarding international flights: some don’t allow 2 items ( carry-on plus personal item). Only one item, period. Not even a purse.

And even if it is a domestic airline at the origination point, which keeps the originating flight baggage rules on all succeeding ticketed flights, if your return flight originates with a European partner airline ( as can happen if traveling with connections within Europe to the major airport for the long haul flight) , the partner airline baggage rules apply.

I learned this the hard way: while my carry-on met the size requirements for international puddle jumpers, and I checked that pre-cruise, I did not compare the weight limits for the rules for the return flight with the partner airline. ( in this case, United / Lufthansa). That oversight cost me $35(?) to check my carry-on due to overweight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And even if it is a domestic airline at the origination point, which keeps the originating flight baggage rules on all succeeding ticketed flights, if your return flight originates with a European partner airline ( as can happen if traveling with connections within Europe to the major airport for the long haul flight) , the partner airline baggage rules apply.

Brrrpp. That was correct at one time, but more recently the IATA rules for Most Significant Carrier have come into effect. It is not automatically the first carrier, but rather which one crosses from one IATA zone to another. In addition, there are DOT rules on flights that come in/out of the USA.

Thus, there is no one blanket easy to apply rule. You have to apply the IATA tests - search for Most Significant Carrier for more examples and definitions.

Thanks for the update! Hard to keep track of changes so glad to know of this resource.

Hate money surprises on vacation! Love positive serendity though- what makes traveling so fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for your insight.

I was thinking of something like this but sold out on amazon.com

416ej6u7qrL._SY445_.jpg

I got a fantastic deal (thanks to the help of fellow travelers on CruiseCritic) on the following bag that I used as a personal item for my Hawaii flight. However, it does not lock and might not be great option for a international flight.

0e5ff156598fcda30446b97d95094a00.jpg

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

I learned this the hard way: while my carry-on met the size requirements for international puddle jumpers, and I checked that pre-cruise, I did not compare the weight limits for the rules for the return flight with the partner airline. ( in this case, United / Lufthansa). That oversight cost me $35(?) to check my carry-on due to overweight

Brrrpp. That was correct at one time, but more recently the IATA rules for Most Significant Carrier have come into effect. It is not automatically the first carrier, but rather which one crosses from one IATA zone to another. In addition, there are DOT rules on flights that come in/out of the USA.

Thus, there is no one blanket easy to apply rule. You have to apply the IATA tests - search for Most Significant Carrier for more examples and definitions.

However, I don't think these IATA and DOT rules have anything to do with cabin baggage. AIUI, that is governed on each sector by the rules of the operating carrier for that sector. So you may have a change of cabin baggage allowance mid-way through a single journey (typically one half of the trip), and thus have to be prepared either to abide by the most restrictive rules for each journey, or to allow a bag to be checked mid-journey by the airline whose allowance you've exceeded.

However, I don't think these IATA and DOT rules have anything to do with cabin baggage. AIUI, that is governed on each sector by the rules of the operating carrier for that sector. So you may have a change of cabin baggage allowance mid-way through a single journey (typically one half of the trip), and thus have to be prepared either to abide by the most restrictive rules for each journey, or to allow a bag to be checked mid-journey by the airline whose allowance you've exceeded.

Yes.

I just wanted to point out that the simple "first airline" rule is no more. And yes, cabin baggage is most assuredly at the discretion of the operating carrier. Had this happen when moving from a USA carrier to one with a much more restrictive rule. When I spotted the scale at the jetway, it was a quick scramble to put heavy items in the pockets of my pants, shirt, coat and stuffed in the waistband and cinched with the belt. Learned a lesson - now I most always fly wearing a jacket or vest with MANY pockets, just in case I misread the operating carrier's rules.