Fort Lauderdale to Key West in three days?

familycruzer

I want to say it took us 4 hours to get there from Miami. We stayed overnight at Southwinds motel which is a block up from the Southernmost Point and of course everything is within walking distance in Key West. 3 days definitely gives you time to go and enjoy it.

Is it possible to take three days to drive to Key West and back prior to a cruise from Miami? Any reasonable priced over night places to stay? Is it worth driving all the way or will we get the idea only going part way?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The drive all the way to Key West is worth the trip.

Plenty of time. From Miami, the drive should be in the 3 - 3.5 hour range on a typical day. Key West is very different than anywhere else in the keys and worth the drive if you want the added atmosphere. There is plenty of resorts in the middle and upper keys if you just want a keys getaway as well.

Of course, it also depends on what you mean by "3 days"... meaning, if you land in the afternoon and drive down on Thursday, then have all day Friday, and cruise leaves Saturday, you are really talking about 1 day. If you have 2 full days, I'd definitely make the trip. You should consider a day trip to Fort Jefferson as well.

I agree. We drove down a couple of weeks ago for the weekend. The middle keys are still pretty bad. Key West, you would never know a hurricane came through. Most of the upper keys look great. Middle keys aren't "too bad" but lots of debris and damage still. Robbies is open, definitely stop there and feed the Tarpon. A few great places for lunch in the middle/upper keys as well. Lazy Days, Sunset Grille, Island Fish Company, etc. Or even Alabama Jacks for some fritters and beer to start off right :)

So really just 1 full day. I would still do it if you don't mind driving too much. The drive is interesting. And I would also plan on a stop or two each way. Like Robbies and lunch on the way down, maybe another restaurant on the way back or taking card sound and visiting Alabama Jack's. Or even spending a few hours at theater of the sea. That way even on your 2 travel days you are exploring and doing stuff.

Southernmost Beach Resort, The Reach, Pier House, Sunset Key Cottages... I don't know what you want to spend. But these are the places we like. I would also very highly recommend Lattitudes for dinner. It's worth the cost and a very cool experience riding a boat to the restaurant.

Do it. Everyone needs to drive the Keys once in their life:p

Lots of hotels in KW of all types. Unfortunately not many are "reasonably" priced.

I've noticed the not "reasonably" priced

Think we may stay part way down the Keys for Wednesday and Thursday night.

Make the trek to Key West on Thursday taking our time.

Then come back slow on Friday to Miami.

Is it possible to take three days to drive to Key West and back prior to a cruise from Miami? Any reasonable priced over night places to stay? Is it worth driving all the way or will we get the idea only going part way?

If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Key West, try the Blue Marlin Motel. We are staying in the Keys for a few days after our cruise in August and it was the most reasonable hotel we found. I think for 2 nights it was a total of $300 w/fees for a 2 queen bed room. It has good reviews on Tripadvisor as well.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Key West, try the Blue Marlin Motel. We are staying in the Keys for a few days after our cruise in August and it was the most reasonable hotel we found. I think for 2 nights it was a total of $300 w/fees for a 2 queen bed room. It has good reviews on Tripadvisor as well.

Thank you. In key west that sounds reasonable

Do it. Everyone needs to drive the Keys once in their life:p

Lots of hotels in KW of all types. Unfortunately not many are "reasonably" priced.

Key West has some of the highest occupancy in the country and never come off their rates. Even after Irma we couldn't find rates under $200 per night.

Once you get to Key West, it is very reasonable to eat and drink there but the zing you with the hotel price.