Helsinki public transit pass

Nanner

Does anyone know if you can buy a day pass for public transit on the bus (#14) from the port? We are planning to take public transit to the Market Square and take the ferry to Suomenlinna fortress. I would be shocked if there is a kiosk selling passes at the port, but can we purchase the pass from the driver?

Here's a link to the Helsinki public transporation website that gives useful information on how to reach the city center from the various ports. As you can see, there are ticket machines at all of the ports and you can buy a day ticket (9 euros, as I recall). https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and-routes/terminals/transport-links-harbors

We were docked at West Harbour and took the tram to the Central Railway Station and walked to the Market Square (an easy 0.5 mile walk) where we caught the ferry to Suomenlinna. It couldn't have been easier.

The link mention above doesn't include West Harbour (Hernesaari) quay LHB and LHC on the east side of the bay. I assume that is what "Nanner" is asking for as she mention bus 14.

Hopefully you should be able to buy a day ticket from the bus driver (From February 2018 onward tram drivers are no longer selling tickets).

Note that you cannot reach Market Square with bus #14 but you have to change to tram #3:

- Get off bus #14 at stop "Tehtaanpuisto" (there will be a church with a 318 feet tower to the left https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikael_Agricola_Church).

- Continue forward across the street to the #3 tram stop on the right side of the street, that's the same side as the hospital, the stop is just to the left of this picture.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eira_Hospital.

- Then is is five stops before the Market Square, (stop "Kauppatori")

The tram will change number to #2 during the way i.e. you'll have to get on tram #2 if you want to return the same way.

Ultima Thule, you are correct. We are docking at LHB, hence the Bus 14 mention. Thank you for your directions. I did see something about Tram #2, did not know that the tram changes numbers en route. I had looked at the transit site, and thought Bus 14 to Eiran Sairaala, then Bus 17 to the Market Square area (Kaartinkaupunki) was the best route i could find.

Is one preferable to the other?

I had looked at the transit site, and thought Bus 14 to Eiran Sairaala, then Bus 17 to the Market Square area (Kaartinkaupunki) was the best route i could find.

Is one preferable to the other?

The problem with bus 17 is that it only goes with 30 minutes intervals while the tram 2 - 3 goes every 10 minutes.