Side to Side(?) cruises and alcohol purchases

It's not on the same ship so we aren't doing a back to back. We get off of one ship on Friday and onto the second cruise on Sat. First cruise goes to Cozumel and we would like to buy vanilla and kahlua. But we know we can't bring it on the second cruise and shipping it home would negate any cost savings.

Assuming it will be confiscated, do they always hold and return it or might we lose it altogether? We are perfectly fine not having it on the cruise, we would just want it back.

It's not on the same ship so we aren't doing a back to back. We get off of one ship on Friday and onto the second cruise on Sat. First cruise goes to Cozumel and we would like to buy vanilla and kahlua. But we know we can't bring it on the second cruise and shipping it home would negate any cost savings.

Assuming it will be confiscated, do they always hold and return it or might we lose it altogether? We are perfectly fine not having it on the cruise, we would just want it back.

I never had my vanilla taken after purchasing it in Cozumel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a side to side on Carnival and our bottle we bought on the first lag was confiscated at check in by port security before boarding the second ship. When I complained at guest service, they sent a bottle of Kailua to our room. I think that was an exception, but great pr.

• 3 weeks later...
I never had my vanilla taken after purchasing it in Cozumel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the responses and my apologies for not following up sooner.

I don't expect them to confiscate and hold it when reboarding in Cozumel, but no liquids in bottles will be allowed to be brought on the second cruise. That is where my concern is.

Thanks for the responses and my apologies for not following up sooner.

I don't expect them to confiscate and hold it when reboarding in Cozumel, but no liquids in bottles will be allowed to be brought on the second cruise. That is where my concern is.

Just put the bottle in your personal

products bag in your suitcase.

Buy them on your second cruise or buy them at home.

Buy some vanilla beans. At home, Soak them for a bit in vodka.

We’ve made our own Kahlua. Get some fresh roasted coffee in port and (more) vodka.

Recipes for both are online. DD makes vanilla when living overseas. Sis makes her own Kahlua.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never heard the term side by side cruises ever mentioned anywhere but here on Cruise Critic.

According to Cruise Critic it's still called back to back no matter if it's the same ship or 2 different ships.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2327

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Just a word of caution: There are a lot of fake vanilla in Cozumel so be careful when you buy them. If the deal is too good it probably is fake. HTH.

Make sure the bottle has a picture of a rooster on it. That's the real stuff.

I have never heard the term side by side cruises ever mentioned anywhere but here on Cruise Critic.

According to Cruise Critic it's still called back to back no matter if it's the same ship or 2 different ships.

Bill

My curiosity got the best of me so I googled it. It doesn't matter if it's the same ship or not. It's called back to back even if it's not on the same ship.

Bill

S2S is the correct term when it’s two different ships. I mean, even Carnival doesn’t recognize it as a B2B. You don’t get any special treatment in-between. No picture, mimosas, you are not led onto the second ship before anyone else, etc. just because one article that was written doesn’t refer to it using the correct term doesn’t mean anything. It is widely known enough that there is a difference between a S2S and a B2B.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is according to Cruise Mapper: The definition says it's a combined voyage consisting of two interlinked sailings on the same ship (with favorable pricing) or on different ships (usually combining different destinations/regions).

If you do a search for Back to Back cruises, you will find answers. If you do a search for Side to Side cruises, nothing comes up. So as another poster mentioned, Side to Side is something that someone on Cruise Critic has come up with. The bottom line is you can call it whatever you want. It's two consecutive cruises.

Edited by RWolver672

Here's my take regardless if it's considered a B2B or S2S. Keep a copy of your first cruise's paperwork and the receipt from the POC where you purchased it from. When going through security for the second cruise have the liquor bottles or preferably the box Carnival puts liquor purchases in out and ready to hand over to the port security personal with a request that you wish to talk with a supervisor. Using your ID and your previous cruise paperwork explain you did not have the opportunity to be able to do anything with the liquor and you would like ship's security to hold it until you disembark and give you the voucher like they would at a port of call.

This may add a few minutes to your check-in process but it should secure the liquor will be returned to you or at the very least that you will be reimbursed if it gets chucked out or lost. If possible take a picture of the bottles or box and receipt as further proof.

Who cares what it is called

Exactly. :rolleyes:

I'm doing a b2b/s2s two step whatever you wanna call it starting next week. I've decided not to buy any liquor until the second cruise. But the advice a couple of posts up seems pretty good if there's something you want that you can only get during cruise #1.

Here's my take regardless if it's considered a B2B or S2S. Keep a copy of your first cruise's paperwork and the receipt from the POC where you purchased it from. When going through security for the second cruise have the liquor bottles or preferably the box Carnival puts liquor purchases in out and ready to hand over to the port security personal with a request that you wish to talk with a supervisor. Using your ID and your previous cruise paperwork explain you did not have the opportunity to be able to do anything with the liquor and you would like ship's security to hold it until you disembark and give you the voucher like they would at a port of call.

This may add a few minutes to your check-in process but it should secure the liquor will be returned to you or at the very least that you will be reimbursed if it gets chucked out or lost. If possible take a picture of the bottles or box and receipt as further proof.

That is an idea, thanks. I suppose I could also try to "smuggle" it onto the second cruise in my suitcase with the expectation of being called to the "naughty room." LOL. I think we will probably just skip the purchase.

As for what to call it, I wanted to differentiate as on a B2B on the same ship, you don't go through security to reboarding, they just hold your alcohol purchases until the end of your second voyage. And with a day/night in between, I don't think it is a B2B anyway. Seems like a waste of a post anyway since the people who answered my question knew what I meant but whatever. :cool:

OMG.... can you imagine all this nonsense for a bottle of Kahlua. I mean, you can buy another bottle in the ships liquor store for the end of the cruise... or at home, at any liquor store on the planet.