Port Stateroom Unavailable Santiago to Buenos Aires

didi7

Help me decide please. We love itinerary and cruiseline Is a favorite. BUT boards say port is side for viewing from our balcony in Fjords and around the Horn. Will we miss most of the spectacular scenery from starboard? I know we can go up on deck but I’m sure there will be sights at hours we would rather be on our balcony. Would really appreciate hearing from people who have done the trip. Thank you!

Port side for that itinerary is prime territory and I had the same issue when I made my booking: Port staterooms on the deck I wanted were fully booked. I booked a Starboard stateroom, knowing that being in the Crow's Nest or on an open deck would be where I would want to be. I was happy with my decision and saved some $$ as well by doing so. Your stateroom TV probably will have a Bow View Camera station, maybe a Stern View Camera as well, keeping those on when in a scenic area helps.

Consider that you are in Southern Latitudes that somewhat correspond to being in Alaska...and the ship will be underway...so there will be a breeze if not an actual wind. Being on an open balcony may be rather bracing! It's not going to be warm. :D

My choice is the Crow's Nest or other venue that provides some protection from the elements.

When we did LA to Rio a year or so ago (Dec/Jan) in the fjords and around the Horn we spent almost all of the time up on the decks where you will always get the full view. Yes it can be on the cool side but quite OK. Going around the Horn we had a beautiful day but during the day we had 4 separate periods of hail mixed with beautiful sunshine. There were times we had hail all over the decks.

In the Chilean Fjords, all the glaciers are port side. I always am out on the lower outside deck for full viewing. Never inside or on upper decks. I always want clear unobstructed views.

I've gone around the horn 11 times, I am ALWAYS in layers, jacket/sweatshirt, hat and gloves.

Ships don't usually go around the horn, (use Magellan and Beagle Channels) with the routing of the cruise. they come in from the Atlantic side, sometimes go around, the very bottom, then backtrack the Atlantic side, so potentially can get views on both both sides, but there can be extended viewing on one side, and a quick exit for the other. For, me, I move with the views, never wanting to miss anything. Again, always outside.

Thank you all for your comments! I guess I will have to plan on viewing the fjords from the open deck. We traveled on same size ship in Iceland through Christian Sound and had magnificent views from open decks & actually more limited from our balcony. We want to do this cruise and, as traveling days are probably winding down, think we will take the starboard. I looked this morning again and see that our TA has actually gotten us the last starboard balcony our favorite deck. Guess I'm grateful for that:cool:!

Missing from this discussion is the obvious need to know if people are travelling east to west or west to east. Port side is perfect for one, while starboard would be best the other way. PORT=LEFT (both have four letters) when you are facing forward on the ship.

Missing from this discussion is the obvious need to know if people are travelling east to west or west to east. Port side is perfect for one, while starboard would be best the other way. PORT=LEFT (both have four letters) when you are facing forward on the ship.

Hi. It's noted in the post heading which states Santiago to Buenos Aires when ship viewing is preferable on port side.