How is the coffee?

BENHANDEL

We were just on Legend a couple of weeks ago. We usually have breakfast in the MDR, but one day we had to go to Lido because of something else we wanted to do and the MDR didn't open till 8:30.

There were 3 or 4 machines in one section of Lido that made lattes. Really yummy.

Coffee snobs here. We were on Fantasy last April and were impressed with coffee onboard. Probably the best coffee we've had on any cruise, and it was consistent throughout the ship. So high fives for the folks on Fantasy! We're holding our breath for our cruise on Dream in 2 weeks.

I am a bit of a coffee snob but I dont want to pay for the fancy coffee shop (or have the inconvenience) for my regular morning Joe. We will be in the family harbor. So...how is the coffee?

We always bring Starbucks Via instant packets and problem is solved. The ship's coffee is like diner coffee.

If you describe yourself as a coffee snob you will probably not like the regular coffee. On the other hand the coffee served in the extra cost coffee bar is really good.

However, if you had the pleasure of serving in the Army in the 1950's, one sip of the regular coffee will instantly take you back to your youth. If what is left of my memory is correct, we either drank it or used it to remove rust from our trucks.

I used to drive truck in the 70s, and could drink just about any black coffee that I came across. I have since developed into a slight snobbery when it comes to coffee, but only at home. Since I retired I cut back on how much I drink, but two cups of Newman's Own Special Blend Kcups each morning is great. I can still revert back to my Truck driving days when I need to. In the unlikely case of really bad coffee, I will have to buy one each morning.

I actually started roasting my own for a while, but since I discovered a Kcup that satisfies, I can get by on a good cup that costs less than $0.50/cup.

For those opining Room Service or MDR coffee is better than Lido. It's all the same coffee.

I believe the Steakhouse uses similar coffee as the specialty coffee kisok. The strength or weakness is related to the amount of water used. The specialty coffee is measure per cup. On the Lido, and I believe from past behind the scenes, in the MDR, the coffee is filtered similar to your Mr. Coffee machine, hot water from the spigot poured over the grounds. Also it's the roast. The specialty coffee has a more darker expresso roast to which for regular coffee the barista adds water after the expresso is poured into the cup.

I do understand that the Vista and Horizon have Keurig machines at the specialty coffee kiosk. And they allow you to bring your own Keurig cups. But that's just making your own lousy coffee.

VIA packets can work to some degree, if you enjoy the overroasted Starbucks stuff or get their "blonde blend". But as newpherchris said, you need to bring a larger mug.

People have brought French Presses on board, with own ground coffee in airtight containers but IMO clean up is very messy. You can't just dump the grounds in the trash can in the cabin and rinse the pot under the bathroom sink.

In the MDR, I use creamer otherwise to me its undrinkable.

On Lido, I find that if I fill 2/3 of the cup with coffee and the other 3rd with hot water, I can drink it black as I usually do at home. And it's fairly decent that way.

Is there a charge to use the Keurig on Vista? I like my lousy coffee from kcups. What about cream there at the Keurig station?

Can't answer that as these are new. But I read in a post that there is no charge if you use your own "lousy";p kcups. At the coffee kiosk I only know of the creamer they have for use. And since I don't use cream in coffee, could be milk for all I know. But DW likes the CoffeeMate stuff so we bring those non-refrigerated coffee mate creamer things we can get a Publix.

I’m a bit of a coffee snob. The room service coffee suits me fine, but maybe sitting on a balcony makes it taste better? 😁 Coffee in the MDR is a little better, and the small upcharge for the coffee bar is worth it, part of why I get Cheers now.

My opinion is the regular coffee is atrocious on Carnival. I feared that and brought along starbuck via packets and they're strong and very bitter. I had one latte that I paid for and it was ok. The second cruise I took, NCL, I got wise. I brought freshly ground beans, filters and my portable pour over. They supply you with a kettle in the cabin and Carnival doesn't. This will be my third cruise and I'm doing the same as before but I'll have to order hot water from room service in the morning.

I’m a coffee snob.

The free coffee is “ok” to “bad” depending on the day and the cruise. They do seem to brew it onboard, but it just isn’t great coffee. Honestly, I switch to tea for my cruise caffeine. I kept trying to make the free coffee work for me and I was never truly happy with it. Tea works just fine instead for the week. Some people bring the Starbucks Via, but I am not really a fan of that either (I can taste that it’s instant even though it’s a decent instant-see? Snob), or do their own pour over or French press-although pour over would be easier to clean up the grounds.