Sun Secrets?

Rowtyd

Does NCL Sun have any hidden secrets which are underutilized by most cruisers? I'd love to hear NCL Sun offers something special you enjoyed and shouldn't be missed. I'll hang up and listen :D

I'd say the carry-on luggage drop off on embarkation day was under-utilized. You could carry on your bags and leave them at the Windjammer Lounge until the cabins were available (at around 1:30). Much better than checking bags or carting them around the ship!

The buffet is tiny and people tended to hang out in there. If weather is good, sit outside just behind buffet. Also sounds like they still have B/L in Moderno next door.

Mini suites are large and nice. If they haven't changed it, the Italian restaurant is quite nice and had great views.

any new refurb positives?

I posted my review with some pictures here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2660474

I don't think they added anything new to the ship, it was just replacing carpets, curtains, bedding, furniture coverings, artwork. I thought everything looked very nice and modern. They tied in the Cuba itinerary with a shop with just Cuba souvenirs.

There is a bar on the lower level of the main atrium just outside one of the MDR's. Sorry, can't remember the name but its a great place to people watch and listen to music while you wait on your table for dinner. We found the bar service to be great as well.

CM

All the way forward on Deck 11 is thee Observation Lounge (now called Spinnaker Lounge) which has an outside deck around the front of it.

Definitely one of the best places on the Sun! Also, the Outdoor Cafe on the aft - such a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the aft wake at any time of the day or night. A great place to enjoy breakfast and lunch.

Also, Deck 7 is a great place for exercise in the morning. We take an hour every morning to power walk around the deck to 'walk off' the excesses from the day before!

Just got back from July 27th cruising. I was worried about mojitos being premixed. I found Champs bar always made them fresh and delicious, plus the bartenders we upbeat and fun. Check out the decks along the sides of level 6, where you do the muster drill. They are empty at night and it's a nice place to enjoy the quite and watch the water. The bar at the entrance to cagneys opens around 5:30 and serves up some unique drinks. I loved the spicy margarita. No extra charge. If you are staying on the 4th floor closer to aft, don't bother waiting for the elevator, just go up the stairs 1 flight to have access to 4 elevators. The Spinnaker lounge has a really yummy bar snack mix, make sure to ask for some. Thats all I can think of for now. Have fun!

Not much has been mentioned other than "...aft to stern..." refurb. Will the Asian decor go away, my guess, unfortunately, is yes.

This was wrong and not relevant for the Sun - meant the upcoming Spirit refurb.

There is a bar on the lower level of the main atrium just outside one of the MDR's. Sorry, can't remember the name but its a great place to people watch and listen to music while you wait on your table for dinner. We found the bar service to be great as well.

CM

The "Atrium Cafe and Bar" is what it's called.

• 2 weeks later...

The ship is pretty small but can be not very crowded so while there may not be too many "hidden gems" I can tell you what we liked. The Sports Bar is great for a pre-dinner drink and has some nice late night snacks if you're out and about in the late evening/early morning. Spinnakers is a great bar and is nice to sit at a window while you're leaving port. Someone mentioned their snack mix which is pretty good. If you like buffet lunch there are more options in Moderno's to change up the pretty much the same buffet options each day. If you have the time breakfast and lunch are also available in the main dining room and they have better and tastier options than the buffet. Enjoy your trip.

We leave on Mon and I am wondering about the AC in the dining rooms and bars...do they keep it pretty cold? Planning on taking a light zip hoodie but wasnt sure if I needed something dressier for dinners and drinks.

The dining rooms and bars are pretty cool which is nice after a hot day. I love it a bit cold so I was okay in shorts but for dinner in La Cucina I wore slacks and a dress shirt and it was very comfortable. If you get cold easily you will probably want a light jacket like you're planning. The only places you are really required to wear dress clothes are the Seven Seas Main Dining room (there is another main dining room with no dress code) and Le Bistro. Everywhere else is resort casual. Enjoy your trip.

(there is another main dining room with no dress code)

It does have a dress code but you're allowed to wear shorts. No swimwear or baseball caps. We saw the hostess ask one guy to remove his baseball cap.

I don't remember needing a sweater in the main dining rooms. They were a comfortable temperature.

It does have a dress code but you're allowed to wear shorts. No swimwear or baseball caps. We saw the hostess ask one guy to remove his baseball cap.

I don't remember needing a sweater in the main dining rooms. They were a comfortable temperature.

Very true on the dress code. Thanks for clarifying. I agree it was comfortable for me as well :)

Just off the boat 3 hrs ago best seat for day at sea is deck 12 FWD above spinnakers no one goes up and there is a HUGE ac unit pull chair close and get the cool air along with an awesome tan!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks sounds like my kind of place. Do you have any Dailies to post?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

• Thanks 1