Punta Del Este

cruznqueen

Our cruise had a change of itinerary and we are now visiting Punta Del Este. I was wondering if this port has cabs waiting at the pier to give private tours? Or is this a place where I would need to sign up for one in advance? Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

What "tour" ???

This is a fantastic port with plenty to see and do. In my opinion, a car rental is way superior for this port. You can walk from the tender dock to several rentals. A fraction of tour prices, and better use of time, to have multiple stops. Highlights, are the Ralli Museum- really wonderful Rodin work. Casa Pueblo, etc

What "tour" ???

This is a fantastic port with plenty to see and do. In my opinion, a car rental is way superior for this port. You can walk from the tender dock to several rentals. A fraction of tour prices, and better use of time, to have multiple stops. Highlights, are the Ralli Museum- really wonderful Rodin work. Casa Pueblo, etc

Thank you Budget Queen....Have you rented a car in this location? Is the traffic okay and are the signs pretty clear to understand? Is there a company you would recommend?

Yes I have rented cars here several times. There is a whole line of car rentals walkable from the tender dock. On a map it's 1 block from the bus station. (have come in there too). It's totally easy simple driving to a multitude of very interesting sightings.

Our cruise had a change of itinerary and we are now visiting Punta Del Este. I was wondering if this port has cabs waiting at the pier to give private tours? Or is this a place where I would need to sign up for one in advance? Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

I don't remember seeing taxis there, but the place is easily walkable.

We did a great bike tour and saw it all.

If you want to see The Ralli and Casapueblo - they are not walkable from the port.

Keep in mind if you rent a car and you stop for refreshments, that Uruguay has zero tolerance for alcohol and driving and if stopped and breathalyzed over 0%, your Embassy will be informed and you will get a conviction in your home country. Here they impound your car and driving license for 6 months as well.

There are lots of tour guides waiting at the port if you want to arrange something last minute.

Keep in mind if you rent a car and you stop for refreshments, that Uruguay has zero tolerance for alcohol and driving and if stopped and breathalyzed over 0%, your Embassy will be informed and you will get a conviction in your home country. Here they impound your car and driving license for 6 months as well.

Thanks for this info. We're planning on renting a car on our port stop here. I'm not a big drinker, and would never drive drunk, but it's good to know that it's best if I even avoid a sip of anything when we stop for lunch. :halo:I'll put this in my port notes!