Norwegian Jewel Asia Cruise. Currency.

Susanjane19

Is it necessary to get local currency for all 9 ports or do some countries tale USDollars?

Please put any updates on here when you get them, we are due to do tour in March 2019 Singapore and other locations.

Have a nice cruise.

Mike & Rita in UK.

While I do not know which ports you are visiting I would suggest that you will be able to use USD or a Credit Card in "High End" shops and "major" local tour companies especially if they quote prices in USD. If you are getting quotes for shore excursions through the Internet ask for a price in USD; that will tell you if they are accepted.

I would suggest that if you are paying anywhere with USD bills do as in South America, small notes (no $50 or $100) that are clean with no writing or rips; the newer the better.

However if you are "buying on the street" you will need local currency.

Also keep an eye on the exchange rate and only exchange at a reputable bureau or bank; beware of sharks offering a really good rate in out of date or even counterfeit notes. I was on the Star in India and there were quite a number of people who finished up with worthless notes.

Also remember that if you pay with USD bills you will, almost certainly, get change in the "native" currency. A $2 purchase with a $20 bill will get you $18 (maybe) change in their currency that is no use anywhere else.