How is the coffee?

BENHANDEL

Obviously the coffee shop is the best (better be for extra $$).

I think the MDR coffe is good as is room service. The lido coffee is just ok but it is much better than it used to be!

I’ve never been on a ship with the Family Harbor so I’m not sure which coffee they have in the lounge.

I was actually was pleasantly surprised by the coffee on the Imagination. Of course we only had it on the Lido once. The room service and MDR was perfectly palatable. I even found a couple of grounds in the bottom of my cup one morning in the MDR, evidence of it being brewed on the ship and not from concentrate.

I was actually was pleasantly surprised by the coffee on the Imagination. Of course we only had it on the Lido once. The room service and MDR was perfectly palatable. I even found a couple of grounds in the bottom of my cup one morning in the MDR, evidence of it being brewed on the ship and not from concentrate.

Just how do you know they were 'grounds'? :evilsmile:

I've always gotten my coffee up on Lido. It is ok with cream & sweetener. At home I use a keurig & usually drink flavored coffee with cream, so I do not consider myself a connoisseur of coffee by any means.

We do the Keurig and flavored creamer as well at home, and when we went on the Ecstasy last year after a 7 year cruise hiatus, we thought we could be okay with the Lido coffee for a week...Well, after that first day we were getting our coffee from the coffee bar.

I must have my coffee! I will tell you my opinion, and it is just my opinion.

Of 20 Carnival cruises, I find MOST of the time....the coffee on the Lido deck is strong. Very strong. I drink my coffee black and I must add creamer to the coffee there. And it is still strong.

Much better in the MDR, usually...Room service coffee is usually fine as well...although it oftentimes does not arrive HOT, but warm. I still must have my coffee, so I drink it.

I've had Cheers a couple of times and went to the coffee shop for a cappucino with sugar free caramel flavoring. Yes it is good, but there is usually a line there with a bit of a wait, and Cheers is not usually worth it for me. So I grab whatever coffee I can get.

Considering that I'm fine with Maxwell House French roast at home, I think Carnival's free coffee is pretty bad. However, we also want to avoid the cost of the ship's premium coffee. Our solution is to buy a box or two of Starbucks VIA instant coffee packets at Costco when they (frequently) put it on sale. It's definitely better than my usual Maxwell House, and it comes to about 40 cents a cup. If you haven't tried it before, it's better than other instant coffees - very close to a regular cup of Starbucks.

The usual Carnival mugs aren't big enough for the VIA, so we also bring larger travel mugs.

The Family Harbor Lounge on Vista had a self serve cappuccino/coffee machine. Pretty good coffee.

Thank you! Is there just one flavor of cappuccino? (Asking for my kids and I can also appreciate a flavored cappuccino as a flavor shot for my coffee!).

It's the coffee consideration that will be the determining factor in our Cheers! decision-alcohol alone is not worth the price, but if we have to buy a couple daily coffees, it is easier to justify... I assume the family Lounge on Horizon would be very similar to Vista... and just for my comparison... Do you tend to enjoy folgers? Or do you prefer more premium coffee brands?

Can you also share what "additions" (creamer flavors, milk? cinnamon? Raw sugar? New sweetner alternatives like stevia?) are available in the family harbor lounge? And this coffee available in the lounge throughout the day? I am expecting to pack my cinnamon and stevia....

TIA!

Not sure I am a coffee snob but I know a good cup of coffee when I have one, and I have never had one on Carnival. I have had room service, MDR and lido and Can’t remember any being good. In fact when anyone asks about carnival we Tell them we love the ships, the family suites and the value but can’t stand the coffee. We take Starbucks Via packs when we cruise I use half a pack for a regular mug that is available from room service or the lido. I have never bought the premium coffee because it’s never been convienant. We are staying in a family harbor suite in 27 days so I’m happy to hear they have another coffee option in the lounge. Hope that helps

Not sure I am a coffee snob but I know a good cup of coffee when I have one, and I have never had one on Carnival. I have had room service, MDR and lido and Can’t remember any being good. In fact when anyone asks about carnival we Tell them we love the ships, the family suites and the value but can’t stand the coffee. We take Starbucks Via packs when we cruise I use half a pack for a regular mug that is available from room service or the lido. I have never bought the premium coffee because it’s never been convienant. We are staying in a family harbor suite in 27 days so I’m happy to hear they have another coffee option in the lounge. Hope that helps ��

I hope you report back on this topic! I am also a "MN mom."