Travel agent ??

labguides

Those old discounts were wonderful. Sure made a difference for us. I am sure we all wish that Viking would still alow agents to give up what they are willing to.

I don’t know if there are some out there who continue ‘on the sly’ to find a way around this, but the current policy sounds to be pretty firm? Carol, I think last May sounds about right for this new direction.

There are also a lot of agents out there who just charge full price for any and all cruises. We made that mistake for too long. We have found that You don’t have to give up customer service from an agency to receive a discount. And the discount isn’t just when you sail Viking.

Told rep upfront that we weren't ready to book yet, and when we were it would be through ta. Rep couldn't have been friendlier, knowledgeably answering all my questions. We ended up putting a 48 hour courtesy hold on a cabin. Next day I contacted my ta, who had the booking transferred over... If we enjoy sailing VO as much as I hope we'll book the same way again.

We had the exact experience, went to an online TA and the whole thing was handled smoothly, no problem transferring it to the TA. In fact, the helpful Viking rep told me they regularly do that. Incredibly smooth booking.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a CC post from a previous thread and same subject. I saved it to show my TA when final payment time arrives.

“I understand that these are the current rules: (as of May 15, 2017)

Viking Cruises updated its travel agent advertising and commissions policy, giving travel agents a full and complete list of its acceptable practices for advertising, marketing, booking and rebating.

The changes were made “in an effort to protect the interests of all of the travel trade and the Viking brand.”

Some of its updated guidelines include:

• Travel agents will only be allowed to advertise Viking’s published rate, found on its website and in the GDS. Any other prices need to be approved by Viking in writing.
  • Group rates secured through Viking’s group reservation system cannot be advertised to the general public.
  • Agents will only be allowed to offer non-cash marketing incentives if the incentives are able to be redeemed and used onboard or if the retail value of the incentive does not exceed $100.
  • For the onboard gifts, the incentive can’t exceed: $150 per guest for seven-night sailings,
  • $300 per guest for eight to 14-nightsailings on a Viking vessel and
  • $500 per guest for 15-night plus sailings $500 per guest.
  • Points and miles can only be offered by an agent as a non-cash marketing incentive and have to be offered only through a credential membership program. Agents can only offer points and miles if the value does not exceed 25% of its published price and if agents has secured Viking’s written approval prior to advertising or offering it in any media.
  • Agents also will have to include the full commissionable portion of a cruise fare in the rate shown or communicated. Other fees — fuel supplements, cruise taxes, fees and port expenses — have to be advertised separate from the commissionable portion.
  • Agents must advertise in the currency of their clients — U.S. residents should see the price in U.S. dollars and Canadian residents should see it in Canadian dollars.

As part of its policies, Viking will continue to pay commission 29 days prior to departure date for cruise, air, extensions and insurance. For its onboard purchases — shore excursions, gifts and beverage packages — will be paid at their completion.”

I really wish CC would allow us to discuss travel agents. lol-I have only booked 2 cruises in my life, and not sure if I did it the best way or not. Neither time did I get OBC, but the prices (I felt) were fair. Both times lower than offered on website. I did, however book the VO one just before the rules changed.

I really wish CC would allow us to discuss travel agents. lol-I have only booked 2 cruises in my life, and not sure if I did it the best way or not. Neither time did I get OBC, but the prices (I felt) were fair. Both times lower than offered on website. I did, however book the VO one just before the rules changed.

I’m sure many of us on your booked cruise will be happy to share our TA information. Sometimes it takes some work to find an agent who will give you the amenities you deserve.

The way we look at it - if we are happy with the price we paid and enjoyed the cruise - great deal. Some others may have paid less, or got more perks, but we always plan ahead and book early to get the best cabin selection.

Personally, I do all my own research and only go to a TA when making the booking. My only question to the TA is do you provide OBC, as per Viking Policy. Our local TA does, so we give them the business.

Hi everyone,

Appreciate the good advice & information on this thread! We're headed to the Mediterranean on Viking Star next July & very excited to go. :-) We booked through our TA after an initial quote from Viking. She is informative & efficient. On this Viking voyage, she did not offer us any OBC saying that because the ship was nearly sold out, there were no special offers. Isn't it the TA's discretion to offer the OBC up to what Viking allows (up to $150 each for 7 day voyage)? I thought I read that earlier in the thread. I believe we got some OBC on the previous cruise she booked for us (on Crystal).

I'm not trying to be greedy, but I'm used to getting at least a little OBC. We haven't had extensive experience with this TA (2 cruises, 1 Switzerland trip - 2 weeks), so I'm not sure about getting a fair deal. Should I ask once we get on the ship about TA's? I know CC policy prohibits identifying them on the site. Many thanks for any input!

Leslie

I would ask once I get on the ship for sure.

I don’t know if it is possible to move your booking to a different TA at this point, but if it is, I might ask a few other TA’s what they would be willing to offer up if you transferred it. I don’t view that as greed at all. We used a TA for several years before realizing that she wasn’t bringing any real incentives to us. Our next trip, we asked three agencies for quotes, and I let our TA know we were doing that. The outcome of the results in doing that means that she is no longer our TA.

Discounts and OBC aside, sometimes it's good to have a professional advocate who knows the right questions to ask in the right way using the right words. Some day I'm going to have to stop using "pit bull" re our TA but that quality also helps sometimes!

Discounts and OBC aside, sometimes it's good to have a professional advocate who knows the right questions to ask in the right way using the right words. Some day I'm going to have to stop using "pit bull" re our TA but that quality also helps sometimes!

Totally agree. Very good points Geosez.

I don’t use high pressure tactics with our TA. She offers up what she can and I accept it. Maybe that isn’t aggressive enough? Her customer support team is outstanding and has gone to bat for us more than once, so I am happy and it works.

I was thinking in my post about the comment by BruinBuckeye’s who has a limited past history of two cruises with their TA. Maybe it makes for them to test the TA waters - but as you say, if happy with the personal service and expertise received by your TA, ithat is invaluable and is hard to put a value on that over OBC.

Edited by Vineyard View

• 1 month later...
Please to help you, book with a VIKING certified TA. Not all TAs are as knowledgeable about VIKING.

My question is: how do you determine who is a "Certified Viking TA?"

I used an agent recommended by someone else for an upcoming cruise but have not been throughly happy with the service. I am looking for another TA for a cruise I am looking to book very soon.

Stan

My question is: how do you determine who is a "Certified Viking TA?"

I used an agent recommended by someone else for an upcoming cruise but have not been throughly happy with the service. I am looking for another TA for a cruise I am looking to book very soon.

Stan

I can't find a link on the VO website for locating a TA as some other cruislines do. How do I find a Viking certified/preferred TA? I wanted to use the Big warehouse store, but they don't list Viking.

I can't find a link on the VO website for locating a TA as some other cruislines do. How do I find a Viking certified/preferred TA? I wanted to use the Big warehouse store, but they don't list Viking.

So I asked Viking about certified/preferred TA's and they told me they to do not recommend/endorse TA's.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Appreciate the good advice & information on this thread! We're headed to the Mediterranean on Viking Star next July & very excited to go. :-) We booked through our TA after an initial quote from Viking. She is informative & efficient. On this Viking voyage, she did not offer us any OBC saying that because the ship was nearly sold out, there were no special offers. Isn't it the TA's discretion to offer the OBC up to what Viking allows (up to $150 each for 7 day voyage)? I thought I read that earlier in the thread. I believe we got some OBC on the previous cruise she booked for us (on Crystal).

I'm not trying to be greedy, but I'm used to getting at least a little OBC. We haven't had extensive experience with this TA (2 cruises, 1 Switzerland trip - 2 weeks), so I'm not sure about getting a fair deal. Should I ask once we get on the ship about TA's? I know CC policy prohibits identifying them on the site. Many thanks for any input!

Leslie

You might want to give your TA a call and ask her to match other TA's benefits. The shipboard credit typically comes right out of the TA's commission. Since that is a whopping 17% percent, they are earning $1700.00 on a $10,000.00 booking. I do all my own research and just use a TA for the extra benefits. Since I was a travel consultant for over 30 years, I am very confident in my ability to plan my own trips. In fact, my TA, to keep within VO's shipboard credit restrictions, will give me additional shipboard credits when I sail on other lines.

There does seem to be some confusion regarding shipboard credits. There are basically three different types.

1. The cruise line might offer a special promotion.

2. Your TA offers one to "Thank you" for your booking.

3. Your TA belongs to a consortium that has special offers on a particular sailing which includes shipboard credits.

You may actually receive three different shipboard credits on one sailing. We sailed on Seabourn last year and received $400.00 from our TA, $100.00 from their consortium and $200.00 from a Seabourn sales offer. We actually had difficulty spending all the credit. The cruise line credit was non-refundable, so Seabourn used that one first. We actually ended up with a $150.00 refund to our credit card from the TA's shipboard credit.