Park and Cruise Charleston

christau

I've gotten so much valuable information from Cruise Critic, I thought I would share what I found after making more than a dozen calls to find a pre-cruise hotel that would allow us to leave our car in their lot for the duration of our cruise, that possibly has a shuttle to the port and breakfast, preferably all free.

Of all the places I called, the only ones that gave free parking and shuttle to the port, but NO free breakfast:

Holiday Inn Riverview

Radisson Charleston Airport

Free Parking, Free Breakfast, NO shuttle:

Wingate Inn Charleston Airport

Sleep Inn Savannah Hwy

Best Western Sweetgrass

Sleep Inn Mt Pleasant

Quality Inn Patriots Point

SpringHill Suites Downtown / Riverview

Marriott Residence Inn Downtown / Riverview

Hampton Inn Patriots Point / Mt Pleasant

Sleep Inn North Charleston

Ramada Charleston (formerly Clarion)

Free Parking, NO Free Breakfast or Shuttle:

Days Inn Patriots Point / Mt Pleasant

Every place I called does allow free parking while on the cruise, so if you find a good rate, just call. Chances are they'll let you. Also, I have heard that the Embassy Suites North Charleston Airport does let you park for free and has a shuttle and free breakfast, but I'm pretty sure they require a 2 nt minimum because when I called and tried to check rates online for 1 night, it was unavailable, but when I tried 2 nights, they then had availability. Anyway, since I was told it was booked, I didn't ask about the parking or shuttle.

I ultimately decided to book one of the hotels that doesn't have a shuttle because the savings of the free breakfast and the lower rates are allowing us to stay for 2 nts to explore Charleston instead of just one, and then we'll take a taxi to the port for around $10 and won't have to wait on a shuttle or worry about how many other people will be riding it.

Christa

• Like 1

Last year we stayed at the Spring Hill Suites and hired a van service to get to the port. We arranged for the van to pick us up upon return. The hotel people were VERY accommodating. We arrived back at the hotel on Saturday around 11 AM and they let us check into our rooms. We were also to leave our car under the covered area. We had 4 couples. There was a great restaurant nearby - California Dreaming or something similiar.

• 2 weeks later...

christau,

Thanks SOOOO much for posting this... We are cruising in January and making all those phone calls was next on my list of things to do. I'm looking exactly for what you listed: free parking, free shuttle, and free breakfast, so your post was most helpful! You've just saved me a whole bunch of time and calls!

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi to the cruiseport?

I've gotten so much valuable information from Cruise Critic, I thought I would share what I found after making more than a dozen calls to find a pre-cruise hotel that would allow us to leave our car in their lot for the duration of our cruise, that possibly has a shuttle to the port and breakfast, preferably all free.

Of all the places I called, the only ones that gave free parking and shuttle to the port, but NO free breakfast:

Holiday Inn Riverview

Sleep Inn Savannah Hwy

Best Western Sweetgrass

Sleep Inn Mt Pleasant

Every place I called does allow free parking while on the cruise, so if you find a good rate, just call. Chances are they'll let you. Also, I have heard that the Embassy Suites North Charleston Airport does let you park for free and has a shuttle and free breakfast, but I'm pretty sure they require a 2 nt minimum because when I called and tried to check rates online for 1 night, it was unavailable, but when I tried 2 nights, they then had availability. Anyway, since I was told it was booked, I didn't ask about the parking or shuttle.

I ultimately decided to book one of the hotels that doesn't have a shuttle because the savings of the free breakfast and the lower rates are allowing us to stay for 2 nts to explore Charleston instead of just one, and then we'll take a taxi to the port for around $10 and won't have to wait on a shuttle or worry about how many other people will be riding it.

Christa

Christa, have you been to Charleston before? Your hotels are all over the place and some as far away as 45 minutes to downtown. I'd rather spend one night downtown Charleston than two nights traipsing back and forth to North Charleston.

Of your hotels the only three I think worth staying at (I spend a lot of time in Charleston and have stayed in a gazillion of the hotels) are the Holiday Inn Riverview, Springhill Suites Riverview, and the Residence Inn downtown.

No way would I stay at the airport. Firstly, it is in another city and secondly, the area is horrible.

The only one I don't know about is the Quality Inn Patriots Point.

Holiday Inn Riverview

Sleep Inn Savannah Hwy

Best Western Sweetgrass

Sleep Inn Mt Pleasant

Christa

You may want to check out the "I Live in Charleston" thread. It was started by my DH. I would look into hotels in the Historical District downtown. A few that I would recommend are: Double Tree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Francis Marion, and Holiday Inn. I know the Embassy Suites has a free cook to order breakfast in the morning plus a free managers reception in the evenings with free drinks for a couple hours. The Hampton Inn may offer something like that also. I would call them and ask if they have any parking specials or discounts.

When we cruised out of Charleston we stayed the night before at the Holiday Inn Riverview. It was great! Just ask for a room with a river or city view and you will really enjoy it. We could see the ship from our room when we got up Saturday.

The hotel has a nice restaurant/lounge on the top floor with walls of windows and great views.

They allowed us to leave our vehicle for free while we cruised and shuttled us to the pier. Dropped us off right at the door! When we returned after the cruise, I called them as I was leaving the ship. Walked across the street from the dock and they picked us up within 15 minutes. We were in our car and on the road home within 30 minutes of stepping onto land.

I would definately stay here again when sailing out of Charleston, SC.

• 2 months later...
When we cruised out of Charleston we stayed the night before at the Holiday Inn Riverview. It was great! Just ask for a room with a river or city view and you will really enjoy it. We could see the ship from our room when we got up Saturday.

The hotel has a nice restaurant/lounge on the top floor with walls of windows and great views.

They allowed us to leave our vehicle for free while we cruised and shuttled us to the pier. Dropped us off right at the door! When we returned after the cruise, I called them as I was leaving the ship. Walked across the street from the dock and they picked us up within 15 minutes. We were in our car and on the road home within 30 minutes of stepping onto land.

I would definately stay here again when sailing out of Charleston, SC.

Did the Hoilday Inn Riverview also do an airport shuttle? Free or otherwise?

Did the Hoilday Inn Riverview also do an airport shuttle? Free or otherwise?

Just got an email from a representative there and was told that they did have a shuttle to the dock. I booked my reservations for this hotel and we're leaving in a couple of weeks.

Just got an email from a representative there and was told that they did have a shuttle to the dock. I booked my reservations for this hotel and we're leaving in a couple of weeks.

Thank you - but does the hotel also do a shuttle from the Charleston Airport?

and you will hear personal experiences. There is currently one up near the top on the NCL board about Majesty. This poster stayed in the Marriott Downtown. They left their car there during the cruise and hopped the shuttle to the historic distric coming and going, although they had to wait half an hour for the pick up at the pier.

That hotel was not available for my pre-cruise stay, so I booked at the Courtyard Charleston Downtown/Riverview which is 2 miles from the port. They have a shuttle ($6) to the historic distric so I'm hoping they will take me on to the pier, too. Says free parking, so I'm hoping that will be for the duration, as well. We've left the car at another Courtyard, in Tampa.

I'm the one who originally started this thread, so I thought I'd come back and post my experience. DH and I just got off the Majesty today. We chose to stay at the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn 2 nights prior to embarkation. The hotel was very nice with recently upgraded matresses, pillows, and bedding. We also received a great rate by booking through this site: http://www.bestwesternsouthcarolina.com/hotels/best-western-sweetgrass-inn/. We also considered the Sleep Inn on Savannah Hwy, which is right next door, as both offer pretty much the same thing at about the same price. The cost of a taxi to and from the port from this location was only $10 each way with Safety Cab. I would recommend this cab company, as well, since their rates are predetermined and not metered. I was told to definitely avoid the Yellow Taxi since they are metered and would have cost a fortune, especially since the wait in line was so long once we arrived at the port. Once we returned to the hotel, our car was waiting right where we left it and in the condition we left it. The hotel had assured us before we left that there is security monitoring the parking lot at night, so we felt fairly safe leaving it there.

Christa

• 1 month later...

Are there any updates or suggestions for hotels/motels with the cruise/park available for free if you stay at the motel/hotel for the night prior to the cruise?

We have a small group that will be leaving in late May and we are trying to find a place to stay that will allow us to leave our car during the cruise and provides a shuttle or is close to the port so the cost of cab to the port is not very high. :)

Thanks for your help in advance .. :)

1ph

Are there any updates or suggestions for hotels/motels with the cruise/park available for free if you stay at the motel/hotel for the night prior to the cruise?

We have a small group that will be leaving in late May and we are trying to find a place to stay that will allow us to leave our car during the cruise and provides a shuttle or is close to the port so the cost of cab to the port is not very high. :)

Thanks for your help in advance .. :)

1ph

There are many nice places downtown near the port that would be minimumal for the taxi fare. Not sure about parking, but check this site out:

http://reservations.downtowncharlestonhotels.com/nexres/search/search_results.cgi?interstitial=done&tab=tab0&src=10009494&address_lat_lng=32.780997,-79.931459&header=brand&rel=nofollow

It might help.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I have also looked for quite awhile for a good deal to stay and cruise. Here is what I booked. I will let you know upon return how good a deal it truly was. In the meantime, interested parties might like to go ahead and check it out for themselves. If anyone out there has used this site before, I would appreciate your feedback. I booked the following on hotelnparking.com:

Radisson Airport in Charleston, SC

*1 night @ $109 plus tax

*Includes room, parking for up to 14 days, and shuttle to and from port

*No free breakfast, but it is a full service hotel with restaurant on site (and a Waffle House a couple of blocks away!)

See you on the sea!

• 4 months later...

I will be arriving the morning of my departure and am looking for absolutely anything other than the parking at the port! $17 per day seems a little extreme.

Do you guys know of anywhere that would let me park WITHOUT paying for a night in a hotel? It seems hard to believe that there are no private lots that try to take advantage of this port.

• 4 months later...
I will be arriving the morning of my departure and am looking for absolutely anything other than the parking at the port! $17 per day seems a little extreme.

Do you guys know of anywhere that would let me park WITHOUT paying for a night in a hotel? It seems hard to believe that there are no private lots that try to take advantage of this port.

Looking for the same, just live 1 3/4 hours from port in Charleston, so I don't need to spend the night, just looking to save on port parking fee...

• Like 1

Looking for the same, just live 1 3/4 hours from port in Charleston, so I don't need to spend the night, just looking to save on port parking fee...

It's not going to happen downtown Charleston! You can save $1 per day at the Cumberland/Concord public garage. The daily maximum is that much less than the locked, guarded warehouse used for port parking. But for the short amount of nites, I'd do the port parking for the better security. That's just MHO.

If you can become handicapped with a placard before your cruise, then you can park for free at the port. But they verify the license with the placard. :)

Enjoy your cruise.