Which NYC airport is closest to port?

fungirl3

Hi Everyone!

We're going on our 2nd cruise September 28th on the Jewel to New England/Canada. We live on the West Coast, leaving from Portland, OR, so I have no idea which airport to fly into before we depart from NYC. Also, need a hotel for one night that is close to the port. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Fungirl3

NCL Star/Alaska/June 2006

LaGuardia is probably the closest but I would look at all 3 (LaGuardia, JFK and Newark) and choose by flight schedules and price. The cost of transport from each will be comparable. If you're looking for close and as close to inexpensive as Manhattan gets, consider the Holiday Inn Midtown (57th and 10th). The Milford Plaza is also a bit more on the reasonable side if your expectations aren't great. If you want that cruise ship experience, the Hudson has rooms that will probably make your cabin feel spacious..and it's expensive! The Sheraton Manhattan is OK and cheaper than the Sheraton New York across the street. Novatel and Flatotel have a euro feel and are pricey.

We flew into Newark Airport and used the Super Shuttle into the city for a cost of $38 (for two people) from the airport to our hotel in Time Square. You book your ride in advance and when you arrive at the airport, you pick up the 'blue' phone and let them know that you are ready. You will be asked to stay near the phone and a few minutes later, the driver comes in and calls your name. You then walk to the shuttle which is parked very nearby (just a short walk). You are then driven to the front door of your hotel.

www.supershuttle.com

1-800-BLUE-VAN (258-3826)

For a hotel in New York, I would, without hesitation, recommend the New York Marriott Marquis in Time Square. We booked the Romance Escape at this hotel for the night before our cruise on the Gem in March and it was wonderful. The package included a king bed room, champagne, a delicious dinner in 'The View' (39th floor revolving restaurant), and an unbelieveable buffet breakfast in 'Encore'. The package is pricey at $478 taxes etc. included, but well worth it if it fits your budget. A room without the Romance Escape package is about $279. Considering the cost of hotel rooms in New York, we found this hotel to be a great value and the service was excellent.

New York Marriott Marquis

1535 Broadway

New York, NY 10036

Tel: (212) 398-1900

Newark is actually the closest airport. It is about 15 miles. LaGuardia is about 30 miles and JFK is even farther.

LGA is 11 miles. EWR is 15 and JFK is about 20. While with traffic it may seem longer, these are the actual mileage by the most direct ways. Mapquest can be used to give you the mileage. Traffic can be just as bad from EWR at one of the river crossings.

You can fly to Newark Airport Then take the airtrain to Penn Station Newark, about 5-10 minutes. Then take a train from Penn Station Newark to Penn Station Manhattan ( about 15 minutes) Then grab a cab to the pier about (15 minutes) The hotels by newark airport have got to be cheaper than the city.

You can fly to Newark Airport Then take the airtrain to Penn Station Newark, about 5-10 minutes. Then take a train from Penn Station Newark to Penn Station Manhattan ( about 15 minutes) Then grab a cab to the pier about (15 minutes) The hotels by newark airport have got to be cheaper than the city.

yes but its too bad the train doesn't go to penn station Newark. You have to take another train there..

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/

yes but its too bad the train doesn't go to penn station Newark. You have to take another train there..

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/

Yes but they won't have to get off in Newark Penn Station like I thought. Once they get off the Airtrain and on the NJ transit train they can go directly to New York Penn Station and forget about Newark Penn Station all together.

Yes but they won't have to get off in Newark Penn Station like I thought. Once they get off the Airtrain and on the NJ transit train they can go directly to New York Penn Station and forget about Newark Penn Station all together.

While true, It would have been nice if you could take PATH to both lower Manhattan and up 6th Avenue. NJ Transit and AMTRAK are much more expensive.

Personally I would take a shuttle from the airport and forget the trains/trams. It's your vacation why would you want to lug around luggage. Pick the cheapest flight into LGA, Newark, or JFK! If you go onto expedia you can look at all three aiport prices at the same time. I would also stay at the Marriott Marquis. It's right in times square and you will have the opportunity to see some touristy things before you board the ship.

Personally I would take a shuttle from the airport and forget the trains/trams. It's your vacation why would you want to lug around luggage. Pick the cheapest flight into LGA, Newark, or JFK! If you go onto expedia you can look at all three aiport prices at the same time. I would also stay at the Marriott Marquis. It's right in times square and you will have the opportunity to see some touristy things before you board the ship.

This is excellent advice. JoJo is RightRight

I'm in the Hilton Honors program, which is Hilton, Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites. Are any of these in the Central Park or Times Square area and are they clean and updated?

Dlinkous - I know that the Waldorf=Astoria is a Hilton and beautiful (I was married there!) Not sure if they will take your points. The Hilton NY is supposed to be nice and in a good location. There is also the Hilton Times Square.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now we are deciding how to use up some AA vouchers we have.........one choice is flying up north and going on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty....

Now ,when I look at flights to EWR on AA,they are all one stoppers,going thru Miami or Dallas or Chicago:eek: (We'll be leaving from MCO).......I was thinking all along,EWR would be closer...........but reading this thread,sounds like LGA would be ok(and those are non stops:) ).......

I have no idea how to get to Cape Liberty from LGA or from where we would stay(NYC,maybe??)...the flight gets into LGA late morning....and the cruise is the next day..

Then how do we get to LGA from cape Liberty??

Im so confused and I hate to admit,but I am an ex New yorker:o Lived on Long Island till 1990 and even worked at JFK!! But its been a long time and I didnt play tourist then:p

• 2 weeks later...

Hard choice - it depends what you want to spend money on. Newark is definitely closer to Cape Liberty so you will save a lot of cabfare.

If it were me and I wanted to keep the cost down, I would fly into Newark, book a hotel at Journal Square or Exchange Place in Jersey City, take a cab to the hotel to dump the luggage, and go into Manhattan on the Path trains. From Journal Square Path will take you to the WTC or Herald Square. The next day I would take a cab to Cape Liberty, which is very close. Arriving and staying in NJ is key - you will not get caught in any NY traffic scenarios.

On the way back RCL was offering Newark airport transfers for $25/person, so I would probably do that and let them worry about the arrangements. The airport is a quick trip, which is really good if the ship is late arriving. It gets back on a Friday and you may not want to try to get to LGA or JFK then.

a cab from cape Liberty to LGa will run about $100.00 so will a car service from NJ. NY ones are slightly less expensive. If the cruise line has a bus to penn station or the Port Authority Bus terminal you can get another airport bus from there. Check with your cruise line as they may run busues to LGA. But to Cape Liberty EWR is definitely the closest at only a few miles.

Archived