Juneau Whale watching and Mendenhall glacier tour recommendations

sandandsun123

Looking for whale watching and Mendenhall glacier tour recommendations. I booked at tour with one of the groups however, I am disappointed that they take you to Mendenhall Glacier first then whale watching. We get in to part at 2pm and for the afternoon tours, they do the glacier first then the whale watching. I would like to spend more time at the glacier and hiking the falls. Thank you.

A "tour" is not likely to have a lot of time, for you to "hike trails" at Mendenhall. So, I'd suggest just going independent.

First- find a whale watch vendor with time either early or late your port day. Be aware of TIME, some evening whale watches are shorter. Time, always, means more opportunity for viewing. Then I'd just cab direct between the Whale watch and Mendenhall. And either cab or shuttle between Mendenhall and the cruise ship. Be aware of shuttle times, in the past they stopped early.

Don't bother with any "tour", many with your port time, will be lucky to have 45 minutes at Mendenhall.

Looking for whale watching and Mendenhall glacier tour recommendations. I booked at tour with one of the groups however, I am disappointed that they take you to Mendenhall Glacier first then whale watching. We get in to part at 2pm and for the afternoon tours, they do the glacier first then the whale watching. I would like to spend more time at the glacier and hiking the falls. Thank you.

I used Juneau Whale Watch in May so that I could do what you are hoping to. I had called them and explained that I wanted enough time to hike to the falls, so they had me put "request more time at glacier" as a note when I made my reservation. I did the whale watching first, which felt like plenty of time, and then stayed at the glacier as long as I wanted because their shuttles back to the ships ran every half hour, so I just left when I was ready. It was great!

We did a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier tour with Juneau Whale Watch last September as well. Our ship got into port at 1pm and we were picked up at 1:30. Whale watching was done first and actually ran longer than scheduled. Dropped off at Mendenhall and we could have stayed as long as we wanted (until the park closed) but the last tour shuttle back to town was at 6pm - after that, we would have to find our own way back (taxi, public bus, etc)