Another Tipping Question!

ALANG

On my last Alaskan pre-cruise tour, Celebrity had an individual who stayed with our group for the five days prior to the cruise itself. He was basically the defacto chaperone, guide, and overall jack of all trades. My DW and I tipped him quite well as he earned it. Of course some individuals just conveniently forgot about him on the last day prior to embarkation. I have been searching my brain cells if there is a basic guideline for gratuities for this position. Will be venturing back to Alaska this August. Thanks in advance for you help.

Alan

On my last Alaskan pre-cruise tour, Celebrity had an individual who stayed with our group for the five days prior to the cruise itself. He was basically the defacto chaperone, guide, and overall jack of all trades. My DW and I tipped him quite well as he earned it. Of course some individuals just conveniently forgot about him on the last day prior to embarkation. I have been searching my brain cells if there is a basic guideline for gratuities for this position. Will be venturing back to Alaska this August. Thanks in advance for you help.

Alan

How do you know that?:rolleyes:

I was wondering the same thing. When we give an extra tip onboard we do it discretely.

In this case it was a pre-cruise tour guide. A contractor not a Celebrity employee. Celebrity doesn't have tipping guidelines for tour guides. It's a personal choice.

In this case it was a pre-cruise tour guide. A contractor not a Celebrity employee. Celebrity doesn't have tipping guidelines for tour guides. It's a personal choice.

Understood - I'd have been discrete in either case. We've tipped shore excursion contractors as well when warranted.

Not tipping a tour director is inappropriate. They are not Celebrity employees. Tour companies, such as Tauck (a US company), suggest $8-10/day per person for their guided tours. We have provided gratuities to our guides in China (Uniworld) and Africa (Tauck), and will do so for an upcoming guided trip across Australia.

Alan

Hi Alan, on our last pre-cruise tour we did tip our guide and our bus driver. You do spend a lot of time with them and we also went to the bars together and dinner. We really liked them, and our guide is now a Ranger in Denali who we will look up when we stop there.

Thanks for all of your responses. We too took our guide to dinner one evening. He did have on a Celebrity name tag, however, it never crossed my mind that he most likely worked for a vendor. No matter what, he earned a very good gratuity.