How many pairs of shoes do YOU take?

bethshebas

I stick with 3 pairs when I travel.

Hiking shoes - Brookes fits me the best, and I get the most neutral color I can find.

Nice looking black leather flats I can really walk in.

If a warm trip - my chacos. If a cold trip - another pair of nice looking leather shoes.

I don't dress for formal night, so the black flats are fine with anything I wear for dinner. I find if I'm doing a lot of walking each day, my feet are happiest when I change shoes daily. So everything I take I can actually walk in comfortably. I do pack light, because I need to handle my luggage on trains, busses, and up flights of stairs in addition to on the plane and on the ship.

There are shoes out there that are sort of a combo of a trainer and a hiking boot/shoe. Lower on the ankle like a trainer, but sturdier and definitely a sole with more grip and tread like hiking boot. A pair like that could eliminate the need for separate trainers and hiking boots.

Will you also be wearing the Tevas for kayaking? If not, and if they are truly just for going back and forth to pool/hot tub, you could just bring a smaller/thinner pair of cheapo flip flops for that. It would still be another pair of shoes but they'd likely be lighter and less bulky, so take up less room in your luggage than Tevas. ??

Just called a hiking shoe ;-) And if you get them in goretex, you'll be set for anything AK could throw at you. Personally, my hiking shoes are so comfy, I don't have a need to bring "regular" trainers - just wear the hiking shoes for my needs on that vacation. I've had a couple of pairs over the years - Merrell capra, Asolo, and Lowa.

If you wanted something lighter still (eg without much ankle support but still good traction) you can look at waterproof trail runners. I'm all about the goretex for my travel shoes, based on what *I* do on a trip and where *I* vacation. If you don't hike and you go to the beach, this advice will not apply to you.;p

I could call my hiking boots my backpacking boots...I need them for the ankle support, and we will have a one mile hike to our camping spot post our AK cruise to which we will be carrying backpacks. I love my boots. I invested in them; they still rank as the most expensive shoe in my closet, but also the oldest shoe in my closet...so. If the weather is warm enough, I could just wear my Tevas or my other sandals for walking, but I might need another sock wearing walking shoe if the weather will be cooler; I can get away with relying on the same shoe for about a week, but this trip will be 14 nights.

I don't wear flip flops. I used to but have made the personal choice to not wear them. I bought the original style Teva, which is the thinnest sole and the least structured straps so they do pack relatively small. I think we're being provided shoes with our dry suits for our planned kayaking (off the Gulf of AK in a glacier fed bay should be way too cold for sandals). But I think I'll use them on our fishing excursion!

On a short cruise, 7 day, 10+day?

I am getting ready for a 5 day cruise and I am taking 4 pairs of shoes. One pair of heels, tennis shoes, a nice pair of flip flops and one pair of flip flops that I don't mind if they get wet.

Seems like a lot but I don't see how I can cut back. I know some people take lots of luggage but I make it a game to pack light. So maybe you can make me feel better. How many shoes and what kind do you bring?

I will be on a 10 day MED cruise in Sept. We will

spend 3 days in Rome first.

I will take 3 different pairs of walking shoes and

1 pair of knee high leather boots for the Rome

Part. In addition for the ship, I will have 2 pair of

Dressy shoes and 2 flip flops and some casual

canvas shoes.

I will rotate the walking shoes, and 1 pair of sneakers, almost forgot those, according to

the port and what excursion we do.

I don't feel any need to pack light as I want to

wear what I want to and enjoy myself.

A fun part going on a cruise for me is the packing And planning what clothes to take.

My life style at home doesn't involve wearing

the same things that a cruise/ vacation does.

So, I say take as many shoes or whatever that

will give you enjoyment and make you happy.

Tropicqueen:cool:

I am getting ready for a 5 day cruise and I am taking 4 pairs of shoes. One pair of heels, tennis shoes, a nice pair of flip flops and one pair of flip flops that I don't mind if they get wet.

Seems like a lot but I don't see how I can cut back. I know some people take lots of luggage but I make it a game to pack light. So maybe you can make me feel better. How many shoes and what kind do you bring?

I will be on a 10 day MED cruise in Sept. We will

spend 3 days in Rome first.

I will take 3 different pairs of walking shoes and

1 pair of knee high leather boots for the Rome

Part. In addition for the ship, I will have 2 pair of

Dressy shoes and 2 flip flops and some casual

canvas shoes.

I will rotate the walking shoes, and 1 pair of sneakers, almost forgot those, according to

the port and what excursion we do.

I don't feel any need to pack light as I want to

wear what I want to and enjoy myself.

A fun part going on a cruise for me is the packing And planning what clothes to take.

My life style at home doesn't involve wearing

the same things that a cruise/ vacation does.

So, I say take as many shoes or whatever that

will give you enjoyment and make you happy.

Tropicqueen:cool:

My next cruise is 8 night Panama Canal partial transit. We bought the Carnival photo package and intend on using it fully.

Extremely early shoe plan is probably 9-10 pairs

- Sneakers (wear on the plane)

- Black heels

- Pink heels

- Navy flats

- Black flats

- Silver flats

- Black flip flops

- Navy flips

- Boat shoes (may be cut if anything)

- Salmon Espadrilles

I think it's safe to say that I will never be a carry on only packer.

My next cruise is 8 night Panama Canal partial transit. We bought the Carnival photo package and intend on using it fully.

Extremely early shoe plan is probably 9-10 pairs

- Sneakers (wear on the plane)

- Black heels

- Pink heels

- Navy flats

- Black flats

- Silver flats

- Black flip flops

- Navy flips

- Boat shoes (may be cut if anything)

- Salmon Espadrilles

I think it's safe to say that I will never be a carry on only packer.

A girl after my own heart !!

I am sailing this summer Venice to Nice for 10 nights. Right now I plan on 5 ...in my mind I can see the following:

Walking shoes.......those are for excursions.

Black flats for evenings. They are actually part black/part snakeskin.

Pewter color sandals...they are flat but can be worn daytime or evening.

Cork slides (flat).

I wear a pair of lightweight mules for the flight.........

I will probably revise this before I pack but those are my basics.

We're travelling to Europe this summer for a month, including an 11 night cruise from Rome through the Adriatic. We travel carry on only and I like to pack as light as I can. I plan to bring 3 pairs: 1 pair of cute and comfy white sneakers, like chuck taylor shorelines that I will wear on the plane, one pair of walking sandals with a good tread that are also pretty (they do exist!) that I can wear with skirts and dresses, and my very comfy black croc flip flops (I love the ones called Capri, they are really cute, comfortable and easy to walk in and can double as a shore shoe if we aren't going far and a pool shoe). I don't dress up for dinner, prefer to wear a simple black shift dress or similar, so both the sandals and the crocs will go with that. Some of my cute summer dresses look great with the chuck taylors and the sandals will hopefully go with everything else.

Plus I'm in Italy and France, I can buy a pair of cute shoes if I need to! :)

I take a similar amount - I wear a pair of dressy tan gladiator-style wedges to board, and pack 1 pair of flip flops for beach excursions, a pair of black heels, and a pair of either running shoes (if I plan to work out) or a pair of chucks (casual Converse sneakers for the drive to/from port and/or walking around port). It really isn’t a lot - you wear a pair to board, and the flip flops take up hardly any room, so it’s really only packing 2 pairs. :D

About 3 pairs no matter how long the trip

-tall leather boots that are hike worthy

-pair of birkenstocks

-either a bootie or a ballet flat, or a running shoe

oh & rubber flip flops for pool/spa/sea days (do these count as a pair?, if so, then 4)

I say take whatever you're comfortable carrying, for some it will be more, for others less.

I probably take too many. If we depart in the winter, I will travel in running shoes. If we depart in the summer, I travel in a sandal. I always pack at least 3 pairs of heeled sandals. I find shoes weigh down my luggage more than anything. I might put some of my sandals in my carryon/personal item.

I travel with 2 pairs of really comfortable for walking but still super cute shoes/sandals in the mix and match base colors of my travel wardrobe and a pair of cheap flip flops for wearing in the shower and around the room. I would skip the heels, sneakers, and extra flip flops and bring two pairs of dressy comfortable shoes that you can do a lot a walking in and interchange with your outfits. Heels aren't practical for travel because you don't get enough use out of them to justify taking them.

Edited by TravelChick69
misspelled word.

I agree with Travel Chick 69, but will add that for me, a wedge is super comfortable and you can buy wedge sandals that are very lightweight. I have some in black and gold, and taking black with me on next cruise. I've found that black or gold will go with all my dinner dresses. I have a pair of very comfortable walking sandals too that look cute with dresses if I want to be a little more casual at night. I always wear my running shoes, as these are the heaviest/bulkiest and I usually work out every morning on a cruise unless a super early excursion. I love working out early in the morning looking at the ocean! It's a fantastic way to start the day :-)

I love my wedge shoes too--can wear them quite comfortably for several hours; not up to lots and lots of walking, like all day on cobbled streets, but still pretty versatile. I have dressy wedges and more casual ones.

They are about 2 inches in height rather than the super tall ones.