Boston Hotel Advice

Whimsy

My daughter and I will be going on a cruise out of Boston in August. I'm looking at flights and will be getting in around early afternoon and cruising out the next day. I am looking for suggestions of hotels near some tourist places and great seafood then getting to the pier the next day.

I've read a few threads about staying at places and walking to the pier. We have no issues with taking a taxi or Uber, not sure I would feel safe walking with luggage, just the two of us so we are open to hotels with cabs, Uber. After we drop luggage, lock things in the safe I would feel a little more at ease walking around around without being compromised with bags.

Looking for suggestions and ideas in this new port.

Thank you!

My daughter and I will be going on a cruise out of Boston in August. I'm looking at flights and will be getting in around early afternoon and cruising out the next day. I am looking for suggestions of hotels near some tourist places and great seafood then getting to the pier the next day.

I've read a few threads about staying at places and walking to the pier. We have no issues with taking a taxi or Uber, not sure I would feel safe walking with luggage, just the two of us so we are open to hotels with cabs, Uber. After we drop luggage, lock things in the safe I would feel a little more at ease walking around around without being compromised with bags.

Looking for suggestions and ideas in this new port.

Thank you!

Boston hotels are very expensive. What is your realistic hotel budget? What exact date in August do you need a room? What kind of bed configuration do you require?

I stayed at Fairmont Copley Plaza and was pleased with its location and the hotel and its services as well. Public transport is easily available and many restaurants are within walking distance. If interested in the historic sites of Boston, one would have to use their public transport system to get you to those locations.

I'm looking ideas more of what area we should stay for ease of getting around and seeing some sights. From there I can filter some of the hotels.

Are there any particular tourist sights you want to see? Could you provide a budget range so we can target suggestions?

I would recommend you consider hotels in the Back Bay/Boston Common area for overall neighborhood ambiance and plan to travel to whatever sites you want to see.

The Park Plaza, which is a historic hotel, has some reasonable rates for your date.

We really are not sure at this point what we realistically have time to see by the time we land, get baggage, check in at the hotel. Flight would arrive a little after noon. I would like to see the Freedom trail if you think I would have enough time. I think I might of stayed at the Boston Park Plaza decades ago on a quick overnight. I remember having a room with 2 bathrooms, sort of a his and hers. Legal Seafoods was in the hotel or across the street if memory serves me correctly.

We really are not sure at this point what we realistically have time to see by the time we land, get baggage, check in at the hotel. Flight would arrive a little after noon. I would like to see the Freedom trail if you think I would have enough time. I think I might of stayed at the Boston Park Plaza decades ago on a quick overnight. I remember having a room with 2 bathrooms, sort of a his and hers. Legal Seafoods was in the hotel or across the street if memory serves me correctly.

Legal Seafoods is near the Park Plaza and there is another location near Faneuil Hall as well as 2 locations in the Seaport District ( one is the Test Kitchen). Would that be a restaurant destination for you? Remember it will still be light late in August. The Freedom Trail is about 2.5 miles long - basically just a path through old Boston that takes you past many of the old sites. Some are buildings you can go in (sometimes a fee) and others are just places to look at or wander through.

IMO you main problem is finding a room with 2 beds that suits your budget, whatever that is.

I'm comfortable with a room between 250-375. I know that Boston is going to demand a higher price. My top priority is good location, safe, easy access to get around. Not far out for transportation for airport to hotel or hotel to port.

Since everything seems to be spread out I am trying to figure out which location I am better off staying and then cab, Uber, etc to the others. I would like the easiest part to be with luggage part. I see Boston has public transportation that can be done with luggage but we are not comfortable managing our luggage ourselves. We would prefer cab or shuttle with our luggage.

I'm comfortable with a room between 250-375. I know that Boston is going to demand a higher price. My top priority is good location, safe, easy access to get around. Not far out for transportation for airport to hotel or hotel to port.

Since everything seems to be spread out I am trying to figure out which location I am better off staying and then cab, Uber, etc to the others. I would like the easiest part to be with luggage part. I see Boston has public transportation that can be done with luggage but we are not comfortable managing our luggage ourselves. We would prefer cab or shuttle with our luggage.

Easiest with luggage would be staying in the Seaport district. The Seaport hotel is $332 plus tax for 2 doubles for your date. Cab from the airport just through the Ted Williams tunnel should be $25 or less. The World Trade Center Silver Line Station is across the street. The Silver Line bus from the airport is free and it drops you off across the street from the hotel. You do need to be able to lift your luggage up one step to get on the bus - this is as close to any kind of shuttle you would get. The cab or Silver Line decision can be made when you arrive. Two Legal Seafood choices are within walking distance. The cruise terminal is just a few blocks away.

Easiest with luggage would be staying in the Seaport district. The Seaport hotel is $332 plus tax for 2 doubles for your date. Cab from the airport just through the Ted Williams tunnel should be $25 or less. The World Trade Center Silver Line Station is across the street. The Silver Line bus from the airport is free and it drops you off across the street from the hotel. You do need to be able to lift your luggage up one step to get on the bus - this is as close to any kind of shuttle you would get. The cab or Silver Line decision can be made when you arrive. Two Legal Seafood choices are within walking distance. The cruise terminal is just a few blocks away.

Great information! This is what I needed to know. How would we get to the Freedom trail? What is there to do near the Seaport Hotel? Any other good suggestions on seafood places? My daughter and I both love seafood and we want a great dinner that evening.

Great information! This is what I needed to know. How would we get to the Freedom trail? What is there to do near the Seaport Hotel? Any other good suggestions on seafood places? My daughter and I both love seafood and we want a great dinner that evening.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60745-c33-Boston_Massachusetts.html

You can take a cab to the Freedom Trail starting at the Boston Common or at Faneuil Hall. You can also take the Silver Line to South Station and transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife to go two stops to Park St at the Boston Common.

There aren't any historical sites in the Seaport District. https://www.10best.com/destinations/massachusetts/boston/seaport-district/

If you want to be right at Faneuil Hall, look at the Bostonian which is $319 plus tax for your date. This is in the heart of the Freedom Trail and a short cab ride from the airport.

I agree, other than the Tea Party Ship, nothing historic in the seaport district, but there are great walks along the water you can take, like the Harborwalk that you can take across the bridge and into the downtown area and to the Aquarium and beyond or you can explore it in the other direction behind warehouses and thru some parks and unspoiled areas and actually find some "alone" space right in the city

Look at the Omni Parker House. Expedia has both non-cancelable and cancelable rates for rooms with 2 double beds. Hotel is on the Freedom Trail and is within easy walking distance of restaurants and sites.

It's a great location, but in my experience it's a quirky hotel. It's the home of the Parker House Rolls. It has a lot of historic charm, but one overriding theme in the reviews is that the rooms are small.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Whimsy,

I'll pile on with the reco to stay in the Seaport District because it is closest to the port. When you want to take a taxi/uber/lyft with your luggage, your ride will be cheapest from this area. When you are out sightseeing without luggage, there is the public transportation option of the Silver Line that services the Seaport.

Less expensive options in the Seaport (expensive ones are the Renaissance Waterfront, Westin Waterfront):

Element (newish): $329 (AAA rate)

Aloft (newish/next to the Element): $294

and a quirky but brand new choice:

Yotel for only $250. It's literally like sleeping in a cruise ship cabin, so you probably won't mind!

https://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/yotel-boston

In addition to walking the Freedom Trail, for tourists short on time, I also recommend taking a Duck Boat Tour.

http://www.bostonducktours.com/ You could taxi over to the Aquarium to pick it up.

Or take one of the hop on, hop off Trolley tours.https://www.trolleytours.com/boston

Always nicer to walk around a city like Boston and the Freedom Trail is ideal, but in case you run short on time or it's super hot, either of these other two tours would be a good substitute.

If you like seafood, make an Open Table dinner reservation soon at the Legal Seafoods Harborside (would be walking distance from any Seaport hotel. Choose Floor 1 unless you want to splurge. Arrive early and have a drink on the rooftop bar.

https://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/boston-legal-harborside-30

Happy Planning and enjoy my special city!

Lynne from Boston

Hi Whimsy,

I'll pile on with the reco to stay in the Seaport District because it is closest to the port. When you want to take a taxi/uber/lyft with your luggage, your ride will be cheapest from this area. When you are out sightseeing without luggage, there is the public transportation option of the Silver Line that services the Seaport.

Less expensive options in the Seaport (expensive ones are the Renaissance Waterfront, Westin Waterfront):

Element (newish): $329 (AAA rate)

Aloft (newish/next to the Element): $294

and a quirky but brand new choice:

Yotel for only $250. It's literally like sleeping in a cruise ship cabin, so you probably won't mind!

https://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/yotel-boston

In addition to walking the Freedom Trail, for tourists short on time, I also recommend taking a Duck Boat Tour.

http://www.bostonducktours.com/ You could taxi over to the Aquarium to pick it up.

Or take one of the hop on, hop off Trolley tours.https://www.trolleytours.com/boston

Always nicer to walk around a city like Boston and the Freedom Trail is ideal, but in case you run short on time or it's super hot, either of these other two tours would be a good substitute.

If you like seafood, make an Open Table dinner reservation soon at the Legal Seafoods Harborside (would be walking distance from any Seaport hotel. Choose Floor 1 unless you want to splurge. Arrive early and have a drink on the rooftop bar.

https://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/boston-legal-harborside-30

Happy Planning and enjoy my special city!

Lynne from Boston

Lynne,

Great tips, thank you!

We did end up booking the Renaissance on the waterfront. Good to see it suggested and that the area is good.

We were looking at Legal Seafood since it's nearby, what can you tell me about the test kitchen location? Sounds interesting and we are adventurous. My daughter is a seafood restaurant management so it might be appealing. I never thought about drinks on top prior, great idea! My daughter did look at that location and said we could stop on the top and work our way down! :D:D

I'm going to check out the hop on/hop off. That might be a good idea too!

Legal Test Kitchen is behind the Renaissance on the same square block. https://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/boston-legal-test-kitchen-seaport-46

Legal Seafoods is diagonally across the Street from Legal Test Kitchen on the water. https://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/boston-legal-harborside-30

Yes, I saw both were close which was very appealing.

Have you been to either? Opinions?

Yes, I saw both were close which was very appealing.

Have you been to either? Opinions?

Hi Whimsy,

You'll love the Renaissance...we stayed there for a birthday weekend celebration a few months ago and especially enjoyed the gym and pool area...and they upgraded us to the Presidential Suite (not kidding!) which was magnificent! So, that hotel gets a double thumbs up from me!

I've eaten at both the Legal and the LTK many times. The LTK menu is definitely more adventurous with use of exotic or unexpected ingredients, so you daughter may enjoy it more. Both serve the freshest and most delicious seafood, despite being "chains." There is also a LTK in the Delta terminal at the airport that I eat at frequently, so if you're flying Delta, you might be able to eat there for lunch pre-flight?

I'm just a sucker for the views from the Floor 1 tables (or Floor 2!) at Legal. If you book far out and request a waterside table, you may actually be eating, open air either on the patio or inside with the doors/windows open..on the harbor with the amazing views of the Boston skyline. The LTK across the street has no views and the dining room is a little dark. You should review the Floor 2 menus too. It is high end seafood with a more refined menu and interior...delicious but it'll set you back $$$ compared to Floor 1.

https://files.legalseafoods.com/file/Dinner-Menu-Legal-Harborside-Floor-2-4FD7.pdf

Beware that there are times when there is a wait in a line to go up the Legal rooftop bar (like any Fri or Sat. evening when the weather is good), so good early (like 4 or 4:30 pm) if you want to avoid a wait.

Beyond the HoHoff trolley tour, if you are looking for something close to your hotel to do the morning before you board your ship...(I never understand why people are in such a big hurry to get on a ship 5 or more hours before departing, especially when you are departing from a city that is fun to explore...but that's just me!). The ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) and the Boston Tea Party Museum both open at 10 am. You could request a late check out from the Renaissance or store your luggage there and walk to either place enjoy and hour or two of touring and then get back to hotel, grab your bags and be onboard by 1 or 2.

Or just go out for early lunch at another of my favs in the Seaport: Row 34 or Sportello...so much great cuisine (way better than the buffet on the ship; ))

Enjoy! Lynne

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from the Boston area. If you want to see the Freedom Trail, go to Fanniel Hall in Downtown Boston. It's actually marked on the stone. Also, you can see a show in the theater district, go to the Museum Of Science (The Mugar Omni Theater is my favorite), or go on one of our famous Duckboat Tours. You might also be able to go to Yawkee Way and see Fenway Park where the Red Sox play.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Forums mobile app

I'm from the Boston area. If you want to see the Freedom Trail, go to Fanniel Hall in Downtown Boston. It's actually marked on the stone. Also, you can see a show in the theater district, go to the Museum Of Science (The Mugar Omni Theater is my favorite), or go on one of our famous Duckboat Tours. You might also be able to go to Yawkee Way and see Fenway Park where the Red Sox play.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Forums mobile app

You'll not be seeing Yawkee Way as, just this week, it was voted and declared the street will be renamed to the original 'Jersey Srtreet' name.. That is to happen very soon Many are concerned as the well-endowed Yawkee Foundation does so much good work for the people and City of Boston. The name Yawkee has been associated with Boston for so many years

It's Yawkey, and although the Foundation has done incredible things for the city, that's the Foundation's work, not Thomas's work, although it is from his investment. The Yawkey name will remain on many buildings the Foundation has supported, in the Academic and Medical communities in Boston. Just not outside the ballpark where the team that was last to employ a Black player was honoring the man in charge at that time.