What Changes would you make to R ship in a major drydock refit

PaulMCO

Yes, you're missing something. A true king mattress is one piece and can't be split.

I highly doubt they would use a King that wasn’t split. Same reason they use “Queens” that are split. A one piece King limits the room arrangement and they are very difficult to move around and store. Spoken by someone who had reason to move one today.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

???? Maybe this whole thread is a moot point in your eyes

Well since I doubt Oceania execs asked anyone here their input on the refurb it is a moot point

The thread is wishful thinking or hoping at best

JMO

Well since I doubt Oceania execs asked anyone here their input on the refurb it is a moot point

The thread is wishful thinking or hoping at best

JMO

If they were smart a little input from their customers should be welcomed.

new ships coming to Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) and Port of Miami.

Plenty of ideas in the article for what builders think cruisers want.

http://thecoastalstar.com/profiles/blogs/seaworthy-more-new-cruise-ships-setting-course-for-south-florida-

Don't believe it is what builders want, it is what the cruise lines think the cruisers want. Ship builders do not build "spec" ships like home builders build spec houses. They build to designs specified by their customers, the cruise lines.

I highly doubt they would use a King that wasn’t split. Same reason they use “Queens” that are split. A one piece King limits the room arrangement and they are very difficult to move around and store. Spoken by someone who had reason to move one today.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've stayed in numerous cabins on other cruise lines that used true king or queen mattresses that couldn't be split in certain staterooms. Those cabins are clearly identified on the ships' deck plans.

Just because Oceania doesn't do it doesn't mean some other cruise lines don't.

If they were smart a little input from their customers should be welcomed.

Isn’t that what the mid and end of the cruise questionnaires are for? I am pretty sure they read them though not every request can be granted :)

I've stayed in numerous cabins on other cruise lines that used true king or queen mattresses that couldn't be split in certain staterooms. Those cabins are clearly identified on the ships' deck plans.

Just because Oceania doesn't do it doesn't mean some other cruise lines don't.

The think the upper suites on the O ships have king size beds in them, but I could be wrong.

Isn’t that what the mid and end of the cruise questionnaires are for? I am pretty sure they read them though not every request can be granted :)

I am not sure that most people are requesting that the ship be re built. Most of the questions seem to be about food, service, shows and ships tours, not bathrooms and king size beds. Just how I remember them. :)

I am not sure that most people are requesting that the ship be re built. Most of the questions seem to be about food, service, shows and ships tours, not bathrooms and king size beds. Just how I remember them. :)

Yet what this THREAD is about is specifically structure related.

Most cruisers probably want the big ships at cheap prices

I am not one of them :halo:

Nothing wrong with having some cruises being cheaper....lots of wonderful people don't make a lot of money but would like to have a nice vacation.

I know....I'm one of them. ;)

Well, if I'm not sailing on R class ships, and won't even consider them because of the shower situation, then it's hard to get my opinion of them on a cruise questionaire. The cost of PH suites on R class is out of our reachm, and seems to be a waste of money when a verandah suite would be just fine with the exception of the shower.

This thread is cathartic for me, even if no one from the home office listens.

I haven't been on an R ship in a few years and I am not looking forward to cruising on one next year (Itinerary is excellent!)

What I liked on my last 6 cruises not on R ships:

Walk in showers with shower doors. I hate the curtain and I find bathtubs unsafe to shower in.

The décor was lighter and sleeker modern.

Storage was well thought out with a deep drawer underneath the sink.

Large tv, reading light in addition to other bedside lights, nightlight near and in bathroom.

Nothing wrong with having some cruises being cheaper....lots of wonderful people don't make a lot of money but would like to have a nice vacation.

I know....I'm one of them. ;)

of course there is nothing wrong with larger ships with cheaper prices

Good to have choices

I just do not care for the larger ships

YMMV

Yet what this THREAD is about is specifically structure related.

Yes, but I am responding to a post about the mid and end of cruise questioner which does not really ask questions about structure. Don't remember any of those questions. If I am wrong please let me know where I would find them.

Yes, but I am responding to a post about the mid and end of cruise questioner which does not really ask questions about structure. Don't remember any of those questions. If I am wrong please let me know where I would find them.

This Thread specifically references the structure of the ships.

The cruise questionnaires have nothing to do with structure, so discussing them here falls under the umbrella of "hijacking this thread" which isn't seen as nice.

This Thread specifically references the structure of the ships.

The cruise questionnaires have nothing to do with structure, so discussing them here falls under the umbrella of "hijacking this thread" which isn't seen as nice.

Go back and re read post 56. Refers to cruise questionnaires. Think you need to get a new umbrella. Have a nice day. :):):)

Originally posted by RJB Go back and re read post 56. Refers to cruise questionnaires. Think you need to get a new umbrella. Have a nice day. :):):)

You misunderstand, BOTH you and Post #56 were hijacking.

Enjoy your day as well

As the poster of post #56, I disagree with both of you.

While some of this thread discusses structural changes, changes such as replacing shower curtains with shower doors and similar suggestions short of structural changes have been raised in this thread as well (king size beds,moving the TV and making it technologically more up-to-date, changing the chairs in Polo, etc, etc etc).

These complaints/suggestions can and should be mentioned in the questionnaire. For example see post #21 and some others (especially the OP whose majority of suggestions are NOT structural) - non-structural changes that can be suggested on the questionnaire as passenger input in the form of comments.

Thus both - non structural suggestions/changes and the role of a questionnaire as a tool for changes and improvements - are not hijacking this thread, IMO.

Edited by Paulchili

Originally posted by RJB Go back and re read post 56. Refers to cruise questionnaires. Think you need to get a new umbrella. Have a nice day. :):):)

As the poster of post #56, I disagree with both of you.

While some of this thread discusses structural changes, changes such as replacing shower curtains with shower doors and similar suggestions short of structural changes have been raised in this thread as well (king size beds,moving the TV and making it technologically more up-to-date, changing the chairs in Polo, etc, etc etc).

These complaints/suggestions can and should be mentioned in the questionnaire. For example see post #21 and some others (especially the OP whose majority of suggestions are NOT structural) - non-structural changes that can be suggested on the questionnaire as passenger input in the form of comments.

Thus both - non structural suggestions/changes and the role of a questionnaire as a tool for changes and improvements - are not hijacking this thread, IMO.

At least I did not think that your post was a hijack... It is valid that O should consider what is in the questionnaire for improvements. Certainly they may have considered past comments to get rid of the unsafe PH tubs when they redid Sirena.

But the point of the thread was to let everyone chime in as to what everyone wants changed.

Now back to the flaming :)

At least I did not think that your post was a hijack... It is valid that O should consider what is in the questionnaire for improvements. Certainly they may have considered past comments to get rid of the unsafe PH tubs when they redid Sirena.

But the point of the thread was to let everyone chime in as to what everyone wants changed.

Now back to the flaming :)

thanks, I did not think i did anything wrong. just was trying to be in the general area of what we wanted to see improved on the R ships.

Here is what was accomplished during a two and 1/2 week drydock (and a two week wetdock while sailing with passengers:eek:) on the NCL Sun:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55770208&postcount=29

It’s a long list, with some minor structural changes to public rooms.

Perhaps if they want to get rid of the shower curtains, they could hire Chip and Joanna, who seem to make major transformations in short time frames, with a small budget.:D

O can get a head start on the demolition of the ship while passengers are on board cruising like another cruise ship did recently :o

I can't remember what ship that was but I wanted to look it up this morning. Talking about POed passengers...

O can get a head start on the demolition of the ship while passengers are on board cruising like another cruise ship did recently :o

I can't remember what ship that was but I wanted to look it up this morning. Talking about POed passengers...

It was the ship in the post above...NCL Sun.