Is Windstar a Luxury Line?

drneal

I am really looking forward to going on the Wind Star.

I love the idea of a small, intimate, laid back sailing ship...

but I'm not sure I would consider Windstar Wind Star a

luxury ship.

Maybe the motor only ships, but do the smaller sail ships count?

What makes a ship luxury? The low ratio of crew to guest?

The size of the cabin? The soap in the bathroom?

Having the crew know you by name is very nice but I don't want to feel nickel and dimed. I expect an additional cost for the excursions and beverages when I pay $195/day on RCCL, but I would like a beer or glass

of wine with dinner if I'm paying $750/day/person.

I've posted, and had confirmed, that what I'm paying $5,300 for was about 1/2 that price last year.

It's kind of like Disney World, they can raise the price and I'll still pay but I'd like to complain to someone about it.

Now, maybe if Windstar home office is reading this, I'm not asking for unlimited beverages like Regent, Crystal, or even mostly NCL these days, but could you offer some wine with dinner?

Windstar is my favorite cruise line, but I don't consider them a luxury line. I've been on all the sailing ships, including the Wind Song, but will take my first cruise on one of the power yachts later this year. So, I can't compare the two types of ships for you.

I think the price you are currently paying is pretty high. Hopefully, it will come down.

Luxury is a word that is subjective. What is luxury for some might be comfort for others. What it isn’t is ostentatious. No tuxed waiters serving champagne in the water. That might be luxury fircsome for we it is ridiculous. For us it is comfort, beauty, satisfaction being surrounded by wonderful staff and kind people. Being near the sea, no crowds, silence ( no loud speaker ) we are going on our 24 we have loved every second since 1999. Is it 100% perfect, life isn’t why should WS be? I hope you can get beyond the word and enjoy yourself we are the fortunate people that can do this. Happy Sailing.

From a Cruise Critic article.

It describes as Windstar in an upscale category, similar to Oceania.

I had thought of it as laid back sailing similar to Windjammer (if they're still around).

With the addition of the motor only ships they have obtained from Seabourn are they

heading in a new direction?

"To give you a sense of how the luxury cruise lines are different, we compiled a list of the four major luxury lines -- Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea -- and looked at their future plans. We also take a brief look at a few of their lesser-known luxury competitors. We have omitted the upscale lines whose prices and fare inclusions place them between the true luxury and higher-end mainstream lines -- such as Azamara, Oceania, Viking Ocean and Windstar."

From a Cruise Critic article.

It describes as Windstar in an upscale category, similar to Oceania.

I had thought of it as laid back sailing similar to Windjammer (if they're still around).”

Nope. The Windjammers are no longer. They were even a separate class as they had the passengers assisting in sailing the ships, where WS doesn’t.

I believe a private group down towards the Caribbean or Costa Rica bought up the Windjammer

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope. The Windjammers are no longer. They were even a separate class as they had the passengers assisting in sailing the ships, where WS doesn’t.

I believe a private group down towards the Caribbean or Costa Rica bought up the Windjammer

We sailed on Windjammer's Yankee Clipper in 1982. Reality the passengers really didn't assist sailing the ship. The accomodations were 4 "deluxe" cabins on deck, 2 port, 2 starboard" with one bathroom separating the two. Cold pull chain shower, toilet and wall sink. Wooden bunk beds. The rest of the passengers in various quarters below that were bunks of up to 12 per sleeping area. Open bar on deck on honor system. Lots of partying, sleeping under the stars on mats at night. Sadly they lost a ship and crew off of Mexico in a hurricane years later. I heard one of the ships survives on one of the southern islands. There is a group operating under the name Caribbean Windjammer but not the same ships or people. Food was at picnic tables in a dining hall served in stainless bowls with large ladles. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas! Had the time of our lives!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We sailed on Windjammer's Yankee Clipper in 1982. Reality the passengers really didn't assist sailing the ship. The accomodations were 4 "deluxe" cabins on deck, 2 port, 2 starboard" with one bathroom separating the two. Cold pull chain shower, toilet and wall sink. Wooden bunk beds. The rest of the passengers in various quarters below that were bunks of up to 12 per sleeping area. Open bar on deck on honor system. Lots of partying, sleeping under the stars on mats at night. Sadly they lost a ship and crew off of Mexico in a hurricane years later. I heard one of the ships survives on one of the southern islands. There is a group operating under the name Caribbean Windjammer but not the same ships or people. Food was at picnic tables in a dining hall served in stainless bowls with large ladles. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas! Had the time of our lives!

My husband is bummed the WJ line doesn’t operate anymore because he loves this kind of experience. Oh well, sigh....the Wind Surf will have to do. [emoji23][emoji23]

My husband is bummed the WJ line doesn’t operate anymore because he loves this kind of experience. Oh well, sigh....the Wind Surf will have to do. [emoji23][emoji23]

At our ages the Windstar's sailing ships are a lot more civilized and I can no longer function without hot water! We made port in Plymouth, Montserrat, and rented a motel room for the day so a friend and I could wash our hair! Two years ago we returned there on the Surf to see the remains of Plymouth and the rest of the island. The motel is mostly covered in ash as well as the pier where we tied up. Astounding sights and sad too, but the 5,000 people who remain are dedicated to rebuilding.

It seems like the line has to include gratuities and most alcoholic beverages in the fare to be considered "luxury". Windstar doesn't so it is usually classed as premium.

Last year, we were on Star Legend in the spring for a cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona and on one of the luxury lines, Crystal Serenity, for an Alaska cruise. Some of the differences between the two are due to comparing a mid-size ship (Serenity carries ~1000 passengers) to a small ship rather than luxury vs premium.

Food on both was excellent. Because it is a small ship, the Star Legend chef and his helpers were able to shop at the ports and bring local foods on board. There was a fresh fish special each evening and we had those several times. We also enjoyed the local cheeses that they brought on. On Serenity, there were more alternative dinner venues and we enjoyed dinners at the Japanese and Italian ones as well as the main dining room. Neither ship was perfect in their dining performance. I found some of the soups on Serenity to be bland. For a light quick lunch, I preferred the small sandwiches on offer in the Star Legend Yacht Club to the Bistro on Serenity. Overall, I'd rate the food on the too about even.

Our stateroom on Serenity was adequate. Their regular cabins are on the small side for a luxury line - about the same size as on the Windstar sail ships and not as well laid out (e.g. the closet is on the side of the bed so only one person can conveniently access it at a time). The Windstar motor yacht cabins are great - large with comfortable sitting area and a big window or a french balcony. I'm not interested in getting anything larger. The cabin attendant on Star Legend was excellent. I don't recall ever coming back to the room when it hadn't been made up. The cabin attendant on Serenity was not as attentive. I had to ask for a fruit bowl and then didn't start getting one until the next day. The cabin often wasn't attended to until late in the morning. She was adequate but not nearly as good.

We enjoyed not having to sign for drinks on Serenity since they were included, but we aren't big drinkers and our bar bill on Star Legend was minor - our OBC covered it plus the laundry package and a couple of excursions. There were several events on Windstar where we got free drinks - the welcome champagne on boarding, captain's reception, yacht club reception and a demonstration on how to make different cocktails.

Speaking of the laundry package, I preferred getting the laundry package on Windstar (which is priced pretty reasonably) to using the self-service machines on Crystal. We spent 4 days in Lisbon before boarding and several days in Barcelona after debarking. The package covered all our laundry for the trip.

We are new to Wind Star, but were completely bowled over by our first trip. No, I wouldn't call it luxury. But it is definitely a cut way above the mass market boats. I think the biggest thing was having like-minded sailing companions. For example, they ask for long pants and collared shirts in the dining room and we did not see a single man in a tank top, shorts, and flip flops. Everyone was dressed appropriately. Everyone was well-mannered. Kind of a throw back to the old days of cruising. :D

At our ages the Windstar's sailing ships are a lot more civilized and I can no longer function without hot water! We made port in Plymouth, Montserrat, and rented a motel room for the day so a friend and I could wash our hair! Two years ago we returned there on the Surf to see the remains of Plymouth and the rest of the island. The motel is mostly covered in ash as well as the pier where we tied up. Astounding sights and sad too, but the 5,000 people who remain are dedicated to rebuilding.

We’ll be on the Wind Surf in 30 days. It’s our first WS trip and it’s been a “bucket list” for me as well as my husband, who has never been to Italy (I have).

We’ll be on the Wind Surf in 30 days. It’s our first WS trip and it’s been a “bucket list” for me as well as my husband, who has never been to Italy (I have).

Enjoy. We have sailed the Surf from Norway to Venice over the years. You will love it! Beautiful ship and lovely crew. Captain should be Gerry Hogan and his wife if you get into June. Great people.

Just hoping that WS stays the same, a mid-range, specialized cruise line. Any more freebees and we'll never be able to afford another one :D

That's sort of my point. The fares seem closer to the "high-end" lines

and appear to be moving away from mid-range.

They do offer something unique.

The 7 day Windstar Greek cruise starts at $3,999 - $4,899

Crystal Yacht (61 passengers) 8 Day from Athens is $6,980 - $8,000

Crystals Ocean Ship (980 passengers) 7 Day starts at $2,935

Oceana 7 day $2,000 - $3,700

Viking 8 Day $3,300 - $4,100

Great story! We toured Plymouth on our cruise on the Legend last year. It’s hard to believe that it was once a lively capital city. The hotel we visited still had the old books of paperwork in the office. Perhaps your name is still there!

That's sort of my point. The fares seem closer to the "high-end" lines

and appear to be moving away from mid-range.

They do offer something unique.

The 7 day Windstar Greek cruise starts at $3,999 - $4,899

Crystal Yacht (61 passengers) 8 Day from Athens is $6,980 - $8,000

Crystals Ocean Ship (980 passengers) 7 Day starts at $2,935

Oceana 7 day $2,000 - $3,700

Viking 8 Day $3,300 - $4,100

Agreed!! Currently on some itineraries Seabourn is pricing out much less expensive!! In July, 11 days on WS Alaska is $5399 US$ compared to $4499 for Seabourn for 14 days! So that is $490 pp per day for WS (excluding gratuities/alcohol) and $321pp per day on SB (all in). There is no comparison, SB much better value and you still get the small ship experience, a real balcony, and much more. Not sure what WS is thinking but if I had booked Alaska on WS this summer, I would be feeling a bit like a fool right now[emoji23]. Glad I did not, but SB is tempting me, unfortunately we have other travel plans.

There were lower prices for most (all?) Of this season's Alaska cruises on 7 for 7 or sale weeks. The May 14-day low was around $3699 IIRC. (I'm not counting that they had a lower price last minute because most categories we're call for availability at that point.)

I wonder if they are pricing high so they can have big drops when the cruise is on sale.

Agreed!! Currently on some itineraries Seabourn is pricing out much less expensive!! In July, 11 days on WS Alaska is $5399 US$ compared to $4499 for Seabourn for 14 days! So that is $490 pp per day for WS (excluding gratuities/alcohol) and $321pp per day on SB (all in). There is no comparison, SB much better value and you still get the small ship experience, a real balcony, and much more. Not sure what WS is thinking but if I had booked Alaska on WS this summer, I would be feeling a bit like a fool right now. Glad I did not, but SB is tempting me, unfortunately we have other travel plans.

Thank you -

This is what I was seeing as well

I am excited about a Windstar cruise on a sail ship and

I'm willing to pay a premium for the experience of a sailing ship as it is different from other cruise lines .... but

if Windstar will be sailing old Seabourn ships, charging more and including less why wouldn't you go on the Seabourn ?

Agreed!! Currently on some itineraries Seabourn is pricing out much less expensive!! In July, 11 days on WS Alaska is $5399 US$ compared to $4499 for Seabourn for 14 days! So that is $490 pp per day for WS (excluding gratuities/alcohol) and $321pp per day on SB (all in). There is no comparison, SB much better value and you still get the small ship experience, a real balcony, and much more. Not sure what WS is thinking but if I had booked Alaska on WS this summer, I would be feeling a bit like a fool right now[emoji23]. Glad I did not, but SB is tempting me, unfortunately we have other travel plans.

We booked WS for Alaska at top price thinking it was average. Have seen fares drop since final payment and yes, SB is now less money. But my plane fare is half of what the current prices are so it is what it is and we plan on having a splendid time. The excursion expenses in AK are the real killer though and it's hard to book the small ports privately as they give preference to the cruise lines (their bread and butter). The captain on WS is supposed to be AK expert so we are hoping for a great experience. And we are also doing their land tour. Will let y'all know if it was worth the small fortune when we get going in 6 weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Windstar purchased the '3 sisters' yachts from Seaborne which were their smallest yachts - I think the passenger max is about 210. The rest or their ships are bigger, so a slightly different experience. I definitely would not call Windstar luxury, but that said, I do not feel 'nickeled and dimed' on board, I think the staff is far more attentive than on bigger cruise lines, and I love the casual sophistication of this cruise line. That said, there are definitely issues and complaints that everyone has about them. I have been on the yachts once and the sailing ships for 6 other cruises. My favorite is the Windsurf, which is the biggest, holding over 300 people. Many feel that is too large. My absolute favorite is when we can snag one of the Windsurf suites for a good deal. It's like having 2 rooms. The yacht cabins are spacious as well. The 2 smaller sailing ships are snug, but well laid out, quality linens and the mattresses have always been comfortable. And I appreciate the L'Occitane bath products but which they would go back to the fancy chocolates on the pillow if you really want to be picky ...

Check with your travel agent to see if the prices go down and you can get a credit or refund. This happened to us last time, within the 90 days I think and we got OBC for the difference.

Enjoy your sailing! -

I appreciate all the comments.

After following the 7 for 7 specials I see that there are many 7

day cruises for $2,000 and if I were paying $2,000 and not more than 2 X that I would not have thought it as expensive as the Luxury lines.

But at $5,000/person I would have liked beer or wine with dinner.

As I found out the alcohol policy is for 1 bottle per adult for 7 day cruise

(2 for 8 + days) and there is a corkage fee in the dining room.

So after spending $20K for 2 cabins I have to pay to drink

my own wine at dinner.