'Earth & Ocean'

Mauzac

This has just come up on my twitter feed, I like the sound of this and hope it reaches Sojourn by March 2019 which is our next cruise. Does anyone know any more about it? We love eating at the Patio, weather permitting, so it suits us! :D

'Today, we're excited to share a new open-air evening dining experience for you to savor when you travel with Seabourn.

Introducing “Earth & Ocean at The Patio™”, an a la carte dinner venue developed by Chef Tony Egger, with inviting candlelight seating and a sophisticated menu celebrating flavors rooted in authentic local favorite foods from around the world.

Set to debut with the launch of our newest ship, Seabourn Ovation in May 2018, the new poolside al fresco culinary option will be offered during dinner service and will be fleetwide by spring 2019!'

We were told about this on Sojourn 2 months ago. I’ll approach it with an open mind but like the Patio as it currently is and don’t see a need for change. I hope they don’t mess with the casual nature of the Patio. I also hope Earth & Ocean is not by reservation as was suggested to me it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be sad if we lost some of the casual, no need to book, nature of evening meals on board Seabourn. It sounds perhaps as if the top brass have been looking at the multifarious choices on ships like Silversea Muse, and Regent Explorer, and feeling the need to join in?

I have the impression that the only way to get to the outside area of the TK grill is through the grill, so although this sounds like a good idea rather than the patio grill it might not work in practice without a lot of rejigging.

Personally I find the current Patio a relaxing way of having an evening meal which on several occasions produces cooked food at least as good as the MDR - what to me would be a major loss would be if under the new menu for the Patio you were required to book and perhaps be restricted to one visit a week. On the two larger ships it could give rise to having to prebook for the Grill, Sushi bar and the Colonnade on the Keller evenings leaving only the MDR which might be short of space as it can't seat all passengers at once. Great I am sure for Carnival's bottom line but not so good for the freedom to choose your dining venue as the mood takes you.

Sorry to be a dissenting view but we are interested in the possible changes to Patio Grill. Though we enjoy certain aspects we also felt there was a sameness for the menu. We would enjoy having a menu that reflected more of the area we travelled.

We have sailed with Tony Egger before and he is excellent, so it would be nice to enjoy the food from a Seabourn Chef.

Julie

I'm a big fan of the Patio Grill but the past couple of cruises I have felt that the dinner menus could do with a revamp.

So on one hand this is welcome news. On the other, I did hear elsewhere that it will be a reservations only venue. It was one of the things that drove me away from SS back in the day, at that time there was only the MDR option that didn't require a reservation for dinner service.

Sorry to be a dissenting view but we are interested in the possible changes to Patio Grill. Though we enjoy certain aspects we also felt there was a sameness for the menu. We would enjoy having a menu that reflected more of the area we travelled.

We have sailed with Tony Egger before and he is excellent, so it would be nice to enjoy the food from a Seabourn Chef.

Julie

I agree (and don't apologise for having your own opinion).

I am always open to new ideas and ways to make the Seabourn experience better. For me, the Keller Grill is a huge improvement on R2. Hopefully, Egger will be an improvement on the Patio Grill.

While I understand the concern over the need to reserve, one of the things I don't like about the Patio Grill is that it gets filled up quite early. To get a table, you generally have to get there earlier than we like to dine.

So maybe a new concept and a reservation system would not be so bad.

We love the current set up where you can always get a basic, wonderful tasting meal, in a casual environment. We really hope they don't turn this into something too fancy, reservations required... too frou frou. It is wonderful to have the many options we have now on the ship with regards to degrees of 'fancy'.

I trust Seabourn will roll out successful transitions on all the ships for this themed Tony Egger outdoors restaurant concept. Of course, the proof will be in the eating and enjoyment, and those sailing in May on Ovation will tell us all about it, I expect.

Anyway, this change is being well publicized with the question of whether or not reservations will be required still pending. So far so good, and this should deliver a better outcome than the sorrowful project started in February that has resulted in the dumbing down of and cutbacks to the MDR sommelier service and bar waiter service. It’s all about training and execution now.

Let’s hope for the best!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Julie

I agree with you, as much as I love eating outside in the Patio Grill, sometimes it is a tad repetitous so I'm looking forward to this.

Just posted the same sentiments on the other thread. A menu overhaul at the patio is well overdue. We have been providing that feedback for years.

Agree, it should not be by reservation and that it should be the casual alternative to other dining venues.

Looking forward to hearing more about it and reviews from CC contributors and will keep an open mind.

At least it's not "Earth and Ocean by Thomas Keller" or the forum would have tied its collective self in a knot by now. Worse yet .. "Indulge yourself at Earth and Ocean .. a stylish dining experience for the chosen few at .. The Retreat".

My take away from this, they're changing the menu at the Patio Grill in the evening. I can probably deal with this.