New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

:rolleyes: HELLO EVERYONE, I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT WHAT TO DO AND WHERE TO EAT IN NEW YORK....

ALSO TRANSPORTATION...METRO OR....

TRASPORTATION FROM NEWARK TO NEW YORK.

PRINCESS SHIP TERMINAL?:)

I AM GOING TO BE THERE FOR 4 DAYS.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS.

A general word...NYC has something for everybody. So only you can decide what is a "must see" and what is the "best food". For food, is your idea of "best food" French, American, street, Ethiopian, Thai-Spanish fusion, etc.

The choices are endless in NYC and you really need to set the compass for what you want to do.

Reminder the Princess terminal is in Brooklyn...the home of Peter Lugars best steak in NYC....cash only reservations required. I suggest getting a guide book and reading...or go to http://www.nycvisit.com and exploring.

After you have an idea of what you want to do let us know and we can help steer you...

examples Italian food Arthur Avenue in the Bronx(you know where Michael in the Godfather shots the Police Captain)....

China Town

the East Village...

Polish food in Greenpoint...

:rolleyes:

ALSO TRANSPORTATION...METRO OR....

TRASPORTATION FROM NEWARK TO NEW YORK.

joseph, order a car service to take you from Newark to Manhattan? Or are you going to another burough?

Take the Grayline Double Decker Tour Bus All Loop Tour. It is a great overview of Manhattan.

Assuming that is where you are sightseeing.

BlueHerons, is correct, the Grey Line Double decker bus is the best value in NYC. On and off all day for one price and it covers all the most important sites, 42nd St, Macy's, Ground Zero, Central Park, South St, Chinatown, Little Italy, Etc, Etc.... I think they even have a two day pass. You'll get more info on NYC with that trip alone than a Native has.. Have fun, it's a beautiful, clean and very safe City, actually it's the safest big city in the US.

BlueHerons, is correct, the Grey Line Double decker bus is the best value in NYC. On and off all day for one price and it covers all the most important sites, 42nd St, Macy's, Ground Zero, Central Park, South St, Chinatown, Little Italy, Etc, Etc.... I think they even have a two day pass. You'll get more info on NYC with that trip alone than a Native has.. Have fun, it's a beautiful, clean and very safe City, actually it's the safest big city in the US.

We are a family of 4 (2 young teens) We had heard that NYC was a place to walk and so we were not going to worry about the HOHO bus. We are travelling for 2 months for a family trip of a lifetime but need to save money where we can. Are we right to still plan to walk?

Jennie

NYC is definately walkable. About the only time you'll need to do the subway/taxi is when going long distances, i.e. from midtown to downtown, Times Square to the Upper East Side, etc.

But depending on when you're in NYC, walking might be uncomfortable due to the weather. In the summer it's often hot & humid. I know some people can't really handle that type of weather for extended amounts of time.

NYC is definately walkable. About the only time you'll need to do the subway/taxi is when going long distances, i.e. from midtown to downtown, Times Square to the Upper East Side, etc.

But depending on when you're in NYC, walking might be uncomfortable due to the weather. In the summer it's often hot & humid. I know some people can't really handle that type of weather for extended amounts of time.

You mean like yesterday when the humidity was such a killer and there was a blackout uptown and there were no trains running and the buses were packed and walking a block made you sweat like a pig?

You mean like yesterday when the humidity was such a killer and there was a blackout uptown and there were no trains running and the buses were packed and walking a block made you sweat like a pig?

easy there...hehehehehe. lightening was part to blame yesterday. *wink* i brought a change of clothes with me and my speed stick. omg...the last 2 days was crazy! i'd rather walk in frigid weather, than this humidity.

name game...perhaps a happy with the wife?

easy there...hehehehehe. lightening was part to blame yesterday. *wink* i brought a change of clothes with me and my speed stick. omg...the last 2 days was crazy! i'd rather walk in frigid weather, than this humidity.

name game...perhaps a happy with the wife?

Sorry Zone, forgot who might "lurk" on these boards. I wasn't blaming anyone for yesterday. That darn lightening :p.

Don't get the happy with the wife. I'm a woman - don't have a wife although sometimes I think I need one.

Sorry Zone, forgot who might "lurk" on these boards. I wasn't blaming anyone for yesterday. That darn lightening :p.

Don't get the happy with the wife. I'm a woman - don't have a wife although sometimes I think I need one.

whoops...meant happy hour.

Where are you stayng in NY? We can recommend restaurants depending on where you are staying.

Just make sure you know that Princess leaves from Brooklyn, not the NYC pier.

I am going to be in Jersey city and then travel by public transport to manhatan...I will be in NY in October for 3 nights there...

And then i Am going to take a cruise from Brooklyn cruise port.

Thanks for all.

We are a family of 4 (2 young teens) We had heard that NYC was a place to walk and so we were not going to worry about the HOHO bus. We are travelling for 2 months for a family trip of a lifetime but need to save money where we can. Are we right to still plan to walk?

Jennie

The HOHO bus is not a form of transportation. You would want to shoot yourself. It is a tour.

Use bus and subway and walking for transportation but sometimes you'll just want to sit down and ride.

October in NYC is one of the nicest times of year. Cool weather, fall in the air, great time to visit.

I agree, October is the best time of year to visit New York. It's cool, comfortable walking weather. You might not need a subway or bus - you might just want to walk everywhere.

I am going to be in Jersey city and then travel by public transport to manhatan...I will be in NY in October for 3 nights there...

And then i Am going to take a cruise from Brooklyn cruise port.

Thanks for all.

But what hotel are you staying at? We can recommend great restaurants depending on your hotel.

There are two Hop On, Hop Off Buses that offer one or two day tours of Manhattan - Downtown, Uptown and Brooklyn. It's a great way to be able to see almost all of Manhattan.

One is Gray Lines

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=1053

The other is CitySights NY:

www.citysightsny.com

They do virtually the same itinerary. CitySights is a little less expensive.

Joseph, October is beautiful in NY. I am from NY and can tell you for sure that there are tons of things to do. It depends on your interests. Public transportation is easy - taxis are plentiful.

I would do one day around South Street Seaport, Ground Zero, downtown by the Statue of Liberty - you can even take a boat ride to the statue and Ellis Island. Perhaps Greenwich Village, Soho and Tribecca.

The 2nd day I would see midtown - theaters, 5th Avenue, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, on and on. Just walk around. If you are there on a Wednesday or Saturday, the theaters have Matinees with 1/2 price tickets in Times Square.

The 3rd day I would go to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art - perhaps even Lincoln Center to walk around. Stop by the see Strawberry Fields (memorial to John Lennon in Central Park) and the Dakota Building where he was shot by Mark Chapman.

You could spend 300 years in NY and never run out of things to do.

Have fun ... p.s. I was born in Brooklyn. I am a NYer even though I moved when I was 11. NYers are very friendly (believe it) and will gladly give you directions or advice. We LOVE our city.

But what hotel are you staying at? We can recommend great restaurants depending on your hotel.

There are two Hop On, Hop Off Buses that offer one or two day tours of Manhattan - Downtown, Uptown and Brooklyn. It's a great way to be able to see almost all of Manhattan.

One is Gray Lines

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=1053

The other is CitySights NY:

www.citysightsny.com

They do virtually the same itinerary. CitySights is a little less expensive.

I have a reservation on the comfort suites in jersey,

1200 Tonnelle Ave , North Bergen, NJ, US, 07047

What do you think about the location?

:)

Joseph, October is beautiful in NY. I am from NY and can tell you for sure that there are tons of things to do. It depends on your interests. Public transportation is easy - taxis are plentiful.

I would do one day around South Street Seaport, Ground Zero, downtown by the Statue of Liberty - you can even take a boat ride to the statue and Ellis Island. Perhaps Greenwich Village, Soho and Tribecca.

The 2nd day I would see midtown - theaters, 5th Avenue, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, on and on. Just walk around. If you are there on a Wednesday or Saturday, the theaters have Matinees with 1/2 price tickets in Times Square.

The 3rd day I would go to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum of Art - perhaps even Lincoln Center to walk around. Stop by the see Strawberry Fields (memorial to John Lennon in Central Park) and the Dakota Building where he was shot by Mark Chapman.

You could spend 300 years in NY and never run out of things to do.

Have fun ... p.s. I was born in Brooklyn. I am a NYer even though I moved when I was 11. NYers are very friendly (believe it) and will gladly give you directions or advice. We LOVE our city.

Thanks for the advice, i am looking foward to be in your city...

I am a little bit worried about transportation from the brooklyn cruise terminal to my hotel:

I have a reservation on the comfort suites in jersey,

1200 Tonnelle Ave , North Bergen, NJ, US, 07047

If this location is not good i will change it, but is cheaper than Manhatan.

Do you think i can get transportation by subway or bus????

Thanks.