Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

It would appear that the "trial" being run on Britannia is now being rolled out to the rest of the fleet.

Jusr received the following notification regarding our upcoming cruise on Azura:-

Important Notification

*Improved Embarkation Process*

We are constantly working to improve your embarkation experience in Southampton. To ensure that you embark your ship as soon as possible, that you adhere to the arrival time on your ticket, which is specific to you and your party. By doing so, you will enjoy the best embarkation experience possible, spending less time in the cruise terminal and more time on board.

If you are travelling on a coach using our partner operator, you may find your arrival time is different to the embarkation time on your ticket. In that case, your coach arrival time will dictate the time you embark.

There are no changes to the existing Peninsular Club benefits in the cruise terminal.

It's good in principal but nobody takes any notice and turn up when they like. We arrived at ocean terminal at 13:00 which was are time to board brittania just to find the terminal full of passengers.

Except that people who have turned up early on Britannia have been posting they are being kept in the terminal.

Maybe with in a short while passengers will start to realise that if they stick to times given it will be better for them.

We are on the Azura Transatlantic in October so most people will be arriving by coach from various airports so will be allowed to board on arrival anyway. Can't see why they have bothered to send the email in that case 😕

I've just received the same for my cruise in October on Aurora, but won't be "obeying" as sticking to my time would result in my having to wander round Southampton for over 2 hours with all my luggage after checking out of my hotel. This is NOT going to happen P and O!

The only way I would stick to my boarding time is if I can choose it. People who have to travel down from the North the night before have to check out at 11am. They need an early boarding time.

Do caribbean grade still get priority boarding ?

Yes you do still get priority boarding see below this was also included in our e-mail from P&O.

Benefits at our homeport

Dedicated check-in

Your dedicated desk makes for a swift and effortless beginning to each cruise.

Priority embarkation

Arrive at the terminal at your designated boarding time to enjoy priority boarding.

Private embarkation lounge on board

Enjoy complimentary selected drinks and a scrumptious warm and cold buffet in a calm oasis until your cabin is ready.

We are constantly working to improve your embarkation experience in

Southampton. To ensure that you embark your ship as soon as possible, we askthat you adhere to the arrival time on your ticket, which is specific to you

and your party. By doing so, you will enjoy the best embarkation experience

possible, spending less time in the cruise terminal and more time on board.

If you are travelling on a coach using our partner operator, you may find your

arrival time is different to the embarkation time on your ticket. In that case,

your coach arrival time will dictate the time you embark.

There are no changes to the existing Peninsular Club benefits in the cruise

terminal. For a full list of on board benefits please refer to

http://www.pocruises.com/the-peninsular-club/tiers-and-benefits

Improved boarding experience? Not if you have to leave your hotel at 12 noon and have a 3.30 boarding time :mad::mad::mad:

Most hotels allow you to leave cases somewhere safe , while you wander around. You may have to leave your room by 12 mid day, but you could sit in a hotel lounge until nearer the time.

If you fly and lets say you are taking off at 6pm, do you get there at midday or at 3pm..

There are now large ships , and P and O are trying to make it easier for all, not just the people staying in hotels in Southampton the night before.

Yes you do still get priority boarding see below this was also included in our e-mail from P&O.

Benefits at our homeport

Dedicated check-in

Your dedicated desk makes for a swift and effortless beginning to each cruise.

Priority embarkation

Arrive at the terminal at your designated boarding time to enjoy priority boarding.

Private embarkation lounge on board

Enjoy complimentary selected drinks and a scrumptious warm and cold buffet in a calm oasis until your cabin is ready.

We are constantly working to improve your embarkation experience in

Southampton. To ensure that you embark your ship as soon as possible, we askthat you adhere to the arrival time on your ticket, which is specific to you

and your party. By doing so, you will enjoy the best embarkation experience

possible, spending less time in the cruise terminal and more time on board.

If you are travelling on a coach using our partner operator, you may find your

arrival time is different to the embarkation time on your ticket. In that case,

your coach arrival time will dictate the time you embark.

There are no changes to the existing Peninsular Club benefits in the cruise

terminal. For a full list of on board benefits please refer to

http://www.pocruises.com/the-peninsular-club/tiers-and-benefits

Thanks

Thanks

The key expression is "at your allocated time". If you have 15.30 you will be the first of that group o get on board. It does not mean you can board early. Only Ligurian have that perk.

Anybody who turns up early will still have to wit in the terminal until their ticket letter is called.

I've just received the same for my cruise in October on Aurora, but won't be "obeying" as sticking to my time would result in my having to wander round Southampton for over 2 hours with all my luggage after checking out of my hotel. This is NOT going to happen P and O!

The only way I would stick to my boarding time is if I can choose it. People who have to travel down from the North the night before have to check out at 11am. They need an early boarding time.

So you have the choice.

Leave your cases with the hotel and wander.

or

Stay in the hotel lounge until nearer your boarding time then leave ,board ,and have access to your cabin straightaway.

or

Leave your hotel ,get to the terminal hours before your boarding time, and sit there for a couple of hours until your allocated time.

I think I would go for 1 or 2 , rather than 3.

We had a boarding time of 1.00 when we sailed on azura on 31st Aug, we arrived at the terminal at approx 1.05 we went straight up the escalator were shown to the check in desks, had one couple in front of us, we were on board and in our cabin by 1.45 simple

Leave your hotel ,get to the terminal hours before your boarding time, and sit there for a couple of hours until your allocated time.

I think I would go for 1 or 2 , rather than 3.

In roughly ten cruises, we have twice encountered delayed embarkation, once due to deep cleaning and once caused by baggage conveyor problems. Having got to the terminal early, we got a seat while we waited; others were not so fortunate.

So now we always roll up early - many of us can't stand for hours.

The key expression is "at your allocated time". If you have 15.30 you will be the first of that group o get on board. It does not mean you can board early. Only Ligurian have that perk.

Anybody who turns up early will still have to wit in the terminal until their ticket letter is called.

Not quite true Dai. We turned up to board Britannia about 11:30 (we were in a hotel, so checked out around 11). Boarding started about midday and as a Caribbean member was called immediately after the suites. We were on board around 12:15 and having lunch in the embarkation lounge (actually the main restaurant) five minutes later. Our original tickets said 15:00 and then that was changed to 14:00.

In roughly ten cruises, we have twice encountered delayed embarkation, once due to deep cleaning and once caused by baggage conveyor problems. Having got to the terminal early, we got a seat while we waited; others were not so fortunate.

So now we always roll up early - many of us can't stand for hours.

But they are changing the process from what has been posted, so past boarding experiences do not really count.

So why will you still turn up early? If people stick to the times they are given, you should not have to wait very long at all and when you board will be able to go straight to your cabin.

If you do turn up early from what has been posted, unless there are no q'sat all you will be waiting

Im not a fan of this change. We normally drive down on the day, a journey of approx 5 hours, and aim to get there at around noon normally to allow for delays en route. We would have to kill time somewhere before our allocated time with our wheelchair bound Mum in tow. In reality anyone driving down or using public transport on the day would be mad to plan to arrive at their allocated time slot as any delay could mean a missed departure so most would be forced to arrive earlier and wait in a packed departure hall.

The big benefit of a Southampton departure is the ease of boarding and knowing you can be on board for lunch. They have managed just fine boarding Azura/Ventura for the last few years so why change it now? I suppose they will save food consumption in the buffet!

We have check in slots on Anthem of the Seas next week but you choose your own slot when doing the online check in. Not allocated a random slot by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I seem to remember P&O posting on their website, sometime in the last 12 months, about some new benefits they were going to introduce and I am sure selecting your boarding time was one of them. Surely that would be the best way to go as Kevin suggests, and do on a first come first serve basis.

But they are changing the process from what has been posted, so past boarding experiences do not really count.

So why will you still turn up early? If people stick to the times they are given, you should not have to wait very long at all and when you board will be able to go straight to your cabin.

If you do turn up early from what has been posted, unless there are no q'sat all you will be waiting

I don't think you've read what I posted...

Im not a fan of this change. We normally drive down on the day, a journey of approx 5 hours, and aim to get there at around noon normally to allow for delays en route. We would have to kill time somewhere before our allocated time with our wheelchair bound Mum in tow. In reality anyone driving down or using public transport on the day would be mad to plan to arrive at their allocated time slot as any delay could mean a missed departure so most would be forced to arrive earlier and wait in a packed departure hall.

The big benefit of a Southampton departure is the ease of boarding and knowing you can be on board for lunch. They have managed just fine boarding Azura/Ventura for the last few years so why change it now? I suppose they will save food consumption in the buffet!

We have check in slots on Anthem of the Seas next week but you choose your own slot when doing the online check in. Not allocated a random slot by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's precisely the problem. I use public transport and having spent thousands on a cruise I would not risk the tender attentions of our railway system on departure day.

Now we need to know exactly how they allocate the boarding times ;)

Thanks Dai, that doesn't seem like priority boarding to me.

(anyone guess who is Ligurian) :)

Edited by bee-ess

Thanks Dai, that doesn't seem like priority booking to me.

I only know one in that exalted position and it's not Me. :(.

I am not far off but still a humble Baltic.

Your argument does not stack up, you just want an excuse to jump the queue. Surely your hotel will be able to provide you with a lounge or seating area once you have checked out where you could read or have a coffee. Failing that just ask the hotel if they will store your luggage until you are ready to depart and then you can have some free time without having to trail your luggage around with you. It is common practice for hotels to store guests' luggage safely until they are ready to leave. We have done this on many occasions when we have had to check out of our hotel by noon and have not had a departure time until late evening.

Thanks Dai, that doesn't seem like priority boarding to me.

Actually Caribbean and above have only ever had priority boarding. Meaning they could go through a special checkin and get to the booze and food. One cruise when in the Mayflower the Caribbean queue was long the assisted queue was long but the bog standard queue was non existent. We went through that one in my mobility scooter.

This idea is great if you live close to Southampton or if you get an early boarding time. If you don't then, to us, it is pretty rubbish.

As I've said on a previous thread relating to this change, P&O need to offer this as a perk of a Select Fare.

Am not happy to think that I may book 15 months in advance, have to pay for an over night hotel and then wait around until about 4pm to get on the ship. (I know that some people don't get why we want to get on early but we just do and day 1 is our favourite day!)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad: