So, which cruise line are you 'jumping ship' from?

wwcruisers

I'm seeing a few familiar faces, from the X boards here. Just wondering what line folks are coming from -- and what attracted them to Virgin Voyages? My DH and I have been X cruisers for years -- and RC, before that. When we first heard that Sir Richard was thinking of launching a cruise line, we were intrigued. If VV is anything like his airlines, it will be innovative -- to say the least!:cool:

I've gone on plenty of cruises for Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Princess, and for most, I will not go on them again. The nickle-and-diming has just gotten worse and worse over the years. And it goes in many directions, like rules saying you can't bring a six pack of soda aboard because then you then don't buy their overpriced soda. The list goes on and on. On the other-hand, were not looking for luxury and lots of pampering. If this exists today, we haven't found it. Its a shame because all those cruise lines listed above used to be great, but they certainly aren't today.

• Like 1

Been on many cruise lines. As for the nickel and diming, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything. We either have the drink package built into our fare or drink iced tea for a week. Just anxious to try something new. We will continue to sail other lines as well.

Considering Virgin Voyages depending upon what the product offering looks like.

We have moved from Celebrity to Oceania recently and could not be more pleased - found Oceania to be the "previous Celebrity".

Oceania is rather traditional (not formal) so something of the same excellent product concept and execution combined with a bit more activity and energy would be excellent.

Do not foresee our household returning the mass cruise lines in the future.

Considering Virgin Voyages depending upon what the product offering looks like.

We have moved from Celebrity to Oceania recently and could not be more pleased - found Oceania to be the "previous Celebrity".

Oceania is rather traditional (not formal) so something of the same excellent product concept and execution combined with a bit more activity and energy would be excellent.

Do not foresee our household returning the mass cruise lines in the future.

Is that not a contradiction?

Celebrity is now a two tier line. Suite class offers a much better experience than non suite class. If you're sailing in the latter you won't have a luxurious experience.

Some good responses, so far. For those of us who've joined the VV pre-sail group, I'm thinking:

-- We know what we liked/didn't like about our previous cruise line(s);

-- We have a pretty good idea of what our 'ideal' cruise line would offer;

-- But, for the most part, we have no real concept of what the Virgin Voyages experience will be.

That's my idea of a real adventure (lol)!:D

• Like 1

We are currently booked on MSC Seaside , Celebrity Edge and have paid the $500 to Virgin. We aren’t jumping from any line. Still like Celebrity and we’re pleased with MSC Divina.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congratulations, Freddy -- you really are a diversified cruiser! :cool:

But, I have to say that your screen name sounds like you might have started out with Carnival. ;)

• Like 1

Actually started with Princess. Have cruised many lines including Carnival.

Carnival is handy for short getaways.

Although my DH and I have exclusively sailed RCCL ships for the last 15 years, one of our VERY first cruises was on Carnival. It as back in the late 80's -- before the advent of the new megaships. We did a 4-niight cruise to the Bahamas, on the Carnivale -- one of Carnival's original 3 ships (all converted ocean liners). Had a GREAT time! :D

• 1 month later...
I've gone on plenty of cruises for Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Princess, and for most, I will not go on them again. The nickle-and-diming has just gotten worse and worse over the years. And it goes in many directions, like rules saying you can't bring a six pack of soda aboard because then you then don't buy their overpriced soda. The list goes on and on. On the other-hand, were not looking for luxury and lots of pampering. If this exists today, we haven't found it. Its a shame because all those cruise lines listed above used to be great, but they certainly aren't today.

Have you looked at a Azamara? No nickel and diming , bring as much soda/beer/wine/liquor onboard as you like! I’d look at it as celebrity’s big sister

• 3 months later...

Not sure we are jumping from anywhere yet. Have not seen very much detail what VV is all about. It all will be in the fine print about what they will give us. Cabins, food, drink. We love Oceania and it would take some doing to get us to switch. Probably will give it a try if we like what we see to start.

RJB -- Like many others here, I'm hoping that, once VV gets their new corporate hdqtrs (Plantation, FL) up and running, that we'll start hearing more details about the new cruiseline. Just wish that Fincantieri Shipyards had a 'live' cam, so we could watch the ship being built.

• 10 months later...

Virgin looks like a very attractive brand for us. We are big fans of them not allowing children. On the few cruises we have been on we know what we want and what we don't want. I would never sail on a Carnival ship again unless it had a Havana area. We also would like to try the Haven on NCL. For right now we will not try VV until they add longer cruises, we prefer more sea days over ports. 

Not jumping from any one cruise line.  I just love to cruise especially in suites.  Looking forward to trying something new.  I booked one of the Big Aft Suites for a 4 night Havana sailing.  A great way to try out a new ship/cruise line.  

• 2 weeks later...

Scarlet Lady will be my 80th Cruise...

Majority of my cruises are Royal Caribbean

44 out of 73 previous cruises plus 6 out of 8 future cruises are with Royal Caribbean... the rest are Carnival, Princess, Disney, and "other". 

It may seem like I'm jumping ships from Royal Caribbean... but I have too high of a status with Royal Caribbean to jump ship. I can say the only cruise line I won't go back on is NCL. 

Edited by SkaterJasp