Grab and Go on Oceana?

annieuk

Can anyone tell me if there is a Grab and Go on Oceana? We much enjoyed the one on Aurora and found the boxed salad offerings far better than the salads in the buffet. My husband enjoyed the curries there too and I liked the jacket potatoes. Thanks for any help.

Can anyone tell me if there is a Grab and Go on Oceana? We much enjoyed the one on Aurora and found the boxed salad offerings far better than the salads in the buffet. My husband enjoyed the curries there too and I liked the jacket potatoes. Thanks for any help.

I think there was something but not on the scale of the one we used on Britannia. There is a new food area there by the pool (I think) and I am pretty sure that we saw the packets of sandwiches and salads etc. I think it is pretty new.

I may be wrong though so I hope that someone else can confirm for you.

That's right you don't pay. On Aurora there were sandwiches - all wrapped up so you can eat them on deck or even take them back to your cabin if you wish - there were baguettes and then boxed salads. My favourite salad was a sort of Tuna nicoise - a lot of tuna, good mixed salad with it, I remember sweetcorn, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and then a separate dressing in a little pot, I think it was some sort of soy dressing. I often didn't use that dressing but added some mayonnaise - available in sachets - and sometimes took a jacket potato to eat with it. There were also usually two small puddings in little pots, I think they were a sort of mousse type thing. There is also another section where they serve a hot dish, often fish and chips or curry but alongside it are jacket potatoes, a cold egg mayonnaise, mushy peas if it's fish and chips. Then there is soup and also things like hot dogs, burgers and chicken wings. The hot dishes are served to you but the others you help yourself. There is no charge for any of this. There are proper plates, knives and forks, not plastic, although plastic ones were available if you wanted them. No hot drinks served here but just round the corner from the Grab and Go was a bar but waiters were always wandering around to serve you drinks. You can just ask for iced water if you wish - no charge. We much preferred this to the buffet.

That's right you don't pay. On Aurora there were sandwiches - all wrapped up so you can eat them on deck or even take them back to your cabin if you wish - there were baguettes and then boxed salads. My favourite salad was a sort of Tuna nicoise - a lot of tuna, good mixed salad with it, I remember sweetcorn, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and then a separate dressing in a little pot, I think it was some sort of soy dressing. I often didn't use that dressing but added some mayonnaise - available in sachets - and sometimes took a jacket potato to eat with it. There were also usually two small puddings in little pots, I think they were a sort of mousse type thing. There is also another section where they serve a hot dish, often fish and chips or curry but alongside it are jacket potatoes, a cold egg mayonnaise, mushy peas if it's fish and chips. Then there is soup and also things like hot dogs, burgers and chicken wings. The hot dishes are served to you but the others you help yourself. There is no charge for any of this. There are proper plates, knives and forks, not plastic, although plastic ones were available if you wanted them. No hot drinks served here but just round the corner from the Grab and Go was a bar but waiters were always wandering around to serve you drinks. You can just ask for iced water if you wish - no charge. We much preferred this to the buffet.

It's a personal preference of course but I much preferred the 'Grab and Go' on the Aurora when it was the 'Sidewalk cafe'. Then you had fresh bread and fresh baguettes made for you with your own choice of filling unlike the soggy pre-packed ones in the 'Grab and Go'. Yes, you can grab something and go but I preferred waiting in a small queue for something freshly made to order. Not a move that improved things as far as I'm concerned.

Of course everyone has different preferences. I personally didn't find either the baguettes or the sandwiches soggy. I had the salads more than the sandwiches and they were excellent. Someone on our cruise approached the Food and Beverage Manager and suggested that the fillings for the sandwiches and baguettes could be varied so that they weren't all the same choice every day. This was acted on and we had some lovely sandwiches.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this sounds a really stupid question but we're cruising newbies - joining Oceana in less than 4 weeks!

Can you use the Grab and Go in the morning to take a sandwich with you for the day, for example having a day off the ship?

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry if this sounds a really stupid question but we're cruising newbies - joining Oceana in less than 4 weeks!

Can you use the Grab and Go in the morning to take a sandwich with you for the day, for example having a day off the ship?

I don’t know what time the grab and go opens, but there are no restrictions on where you can eat it. Bags are not checked when you leave the ship anyway, just when you return as a security measure.

I don’t know what time the grab and go opens, but there are no restrictions on where you can eat it. Bags are not checked when you leave the ship anyway, just when you return as a security measure.

On Brittania there was breakfast baps in the morning, ie hot sausage sandwiches, bacon butties etc. Sandwiches weren't put out till later, 11 or 11.30 Much in line with the buffet meal timings.

Generally the food you could take on shore does not come out until late morning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our recent Ventura cruise grab & go was only available on sea days between 11:30 and 1:30 (ish), and nothing at breakfast time, unless it finished before I surfaced.

On Brittania the breakfast grab and go wasn't actually in the cabinet used for lunch and tea time. Because the breakfast baps were hot they were in a nearby servery used at other times for the hot dogs and burgers.

On our last cruise the Grab and go offerings at lunchtime were reduced. For example no wraps, little choice of salads, sandwiches consisted of two slices white bread slapped together (not cut) with beef or cheese in centre. Desserts either fruit or yoghurt. No longer serving jacket potatoes either.