Ports advice MSC Musica, Italy, Greece, Montenegro

maminooka

We are calling at Brindisi, Katakolon, Piraeus, Santorini, Corfu and Kotor during our cruise in August. I would appreciate any advice about what we can do when we reach these ports as we don't want to pay the cruise prices! We are travelling with a 12 and 14 year old and would rather do it off our own backs but at the same time, don't want to miss anything and regret what we haven't done. Thank you in advance!

We visited most of these ports - some of them more than once...

What do you want to do?

In Brindisi we just wandered around in the little city.

In Katakolon you can visit the historical site of Olympia - you find tour operators in the internet (this worked really good).

In Piräus you can book a HoHo bus to Athens.

In Santorini you can go with the boat to Oya and then by bus to Fira and down over the steps or with the cablecar (DO NOT USE THE POOR DONKEYS!!!).

In Corfu there is a public bus to the city - you can walk around there.

Kotor is really nice! You can go up to the church on the hill and then explore the old town! Really beautiful and cheap. My father rented a cab driver there for a tour...

Thank you strikerSBG. I suppose I'm just a bit confused as to whether we can we just turn up and get onboard a bus/taxi etc when we get to the port or whether we have to be a bit more organised and book online in advance?

I would preebock the tour to Olympia in Katakolon, as well as the HoHo in Piräus. All other things you can get right in the port... If you want I can post here tomorrow the two companies, where I booked the tours.

• Like 1

Not such a long time then sadly, ok the New Fort overlooks the port and is about a 15 minute walk and well worth the entry fee, the Old Fort is on the other side of Corfu town but more expensive and less to see, the Liston near the Old Fort is an area of cafes and bars where the Corfiots go to meet, the Town itself has a number of shops, Churches, cafes and Museums. In the Old harbour a walk along the road from the main port you will find a trip boat that has glass sides and goes out to the nearby island of Vidos where they do a show with Sea Lions.

When you get to the port building there will be Taxis waiting nearby, you could hire one and ask them to take you for a tour or the East coast going North, or ask to go to Paleokastritsa and Bella Vista if you like sightseeing.

There is also the Achillion palace where one of the James Bond films was made which is South of Corfu Town.

A few words that should help with a taxi driver is Yassou, Kalispera, Tikanis or Hello, Good Afternoon, How are you. The response should be Kala or Poli Kala, Good or Very Good.

• Like 1

Kotor is beautiful! You walk right off the ship into the town. It’s like sailing into a fjord! We had 2 12 year old twins at the time and walked right up to the top of the mountain, looking down towards the ship. Then we just looked round the cobbled streets, had a drink in a restro then the girls paddled in the sea.

In Corfu, we went straight to the waterpark with the girls which was really really good fun!

• Like 2

Hello!

Here some things I wrote down for us in the different ports during our cruise last May:

Brindisi: Sightseeing (by foot): ColonneTerminali della Via Appia, Tempio di San Giovanni al Sepolcro, Santa Maria delCasale, Brindisi Port, Monumento al Marinaio d´Italia, Pontificia BasilicaCattedrale, Chiesa di San Bendetto, Castello Svevo

Katakolon: Olympia tour http://www.katakolon-express.com/lang/de/olympiabegleitetetour.htm

Santorini: You can book the above mentioned tour directly in the port after tendering.

Piräus/Athens: http://www.athensopentour.com/

Korfu: Sightseeig: Agios Spiridon, Festung, SpianadaSquare, Liston, St. Michael und St.Georg-Palace, Mon Repos, Vlachérna

Kotor: Sightseeing: St.Tryphon-Cathedral, City wall, St. Lukas Church, Gospa od Skrpjela, SanGiovanni (fort), Sveti Nikola (chruch)

All the Sightseeing things we have done just by foot - what we liked from outside we went in.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your responses, they are really helpful. I have one more question, when we get back to Venice, we arrive at 9am but don't fly home till 8.30pm. Obviously, we will have our cases etc. Does anyone have any advice of where to go and what to do with all this baggage in tow please? This is the last query on our list!

Thanks in advance.

I assume you´ll visit Venice on the day of departure right?

In that case the railway station ("Stazione Ferroviaria Santa Lucia") is a very good option for storing your baggage because it is directly at the "entrance" to the city when you are coming from the cruise port. https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-railroad-station-faq-baggage.htm

If you´ll have a shuttle from the cruise port, to the airport you can store your bags also in the cruise port.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2018 at 3:17 PM, strikerSBG said:

I would preebock the tour to Olympia in Katakolon, as well as the HoHo in Piräus. All other things you can get right in the port... If you want I can post here tomorrow the two companies, where I booked the tours.

please share what you would recommend for this Itinerary and best sites besides Viator to book. We don't travel until June of 2020, but doing same ports.  Traveling with 8/10yr olds.  Thanks~

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 5:14 PM, Leekaz said:

Kotor is beautiful! You walk right off the ship into the town. It’s like sailing into a fjord! We had 2 12 year old twins at the time and walked right up to the top of the mountain, looking down towards the ship. Then we just looked round the cobbled streets, had a drink in a restro then the girls paddled in the sea.

In Corfu, we went straight to the waterpark with the girls which was really really good fun!

our kids at going to be 8/10 on our Cruise June 2020.  What is this Waterpark you referred to?  

26 minutes ago, gatlinburg said:

please share what you would recommend for this Itinerary and best sites besides Viator to book. We don't travel until June of 2020, but doing same ports.  Traveling with 8/10yr olds.  Thanks~

Sorry. Just now saw your other response and helpful info, and links.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, gatlinburg said:

our kids at going to be 8/10 on our Cruise June 2020.  What is this Waterpark you referred to?  

6 hours ago, gatlinburg said:

Hi again - I think it was aqualand - it was organised by p&0 - quite a lot of families did it. It was about 20 away minutes in the bus. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, maminooka said:

We are calling at Brindisi, Katakolon, Piraeus, Santorini, Corfu and Kotor during our cruise in August. I would appreciate any advice about what we can do when we reach these ports as we don't want to pay the cruise prices! We are travelling with a 12 and 14 year old and would rather do it off our own backs but at the same time, don't want to miss anything and regret what we haven't done. Thank you in advance!

hi, Katakolon. Nice little port, Short walk in to the town, Most of the shop's and bars are on the right as you make you're way along, But if you turn LEFT as you leave the Harbour, There is a really nice little Beach with a small bar, Its great for swimming and cold beer. If after having a swim , You can walk thru the town and at the far end you will find a little Noddy train? You no what I mean. It will take you on a tour taking in a wine place plus some other stops, Ending up at a Great hotel . It has its own beach, Great Bar, COLD BEER, You can stay there as long as you like , Then catch the last NODDY back to the ship. It's only a few Euro's each
That's what we did and had a great day.

• Like 1