The new Full Drinks Package on Azura at the moment.....

kunash

Yes, but is it worth taking the risk of this likely scenario happening due to P&O offering these new drinks packages or do we accept that this is far less likely to happen with the currently reasonabley priced drinks that P&O currently offer. Just because other lines offer drinks packages doesn't mean that it will work with the majority of loyal P&O's passengers who are perfectly happy with the current arrangements.

Whether we like it or not P&O do have certain traditions that suit their passengers that's why we and many others prefer to cruise with P&O.

BTW, I am not a shareholder. :)

Of course it will suit passengers to be able to take 2 litres of spirits on board (per couple) AND enjoy cheap bar prices but that clearly isn’t to P&O’s advantage and means that they’re lagging behind other lines in regard to their drinks revenue. Something has to give?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What you do have to take into consideration is that other cruise lines are using the drinks package as a incentive to bring in new customers by offering a drinks included price for the whole cruise at the same price as other lines that do the same route and if you add that to the fact that extra tips money is also going you could be offered a great all in one price for everything over the next few years that will make P&O very competitively priced.

Dale.

What you do have to take into consideration is that other cruise lines are using the drinks package as a incentive to bring in new customers by offering a drinks included price for the whole cruise at the same price as other lines that do the same route and if you add that to the fact that extra tips money is also going you could be offered a great all in one price for everything over the next few years that will make P&O very competitively priced.

Dale.

Great - a positive

Of course it will suit passengers to be able to take 2 litres of spirits on board (per couple) AND enjoy cheap bar prices but that clearly isn’t to P&O’s advantage and means that they’re lagging behind other lines in regard to their drinks revenue. Something has to give?

Not so sure ‘something has to give’, well, not soon anyway.

P&O have thousands of extra spaces to fill every week in a very competitive market.

That is their first goal, if that happens quickly, then maybe prices will creep up, but my feeling is they will use the flexibility at reasonable prices as their USP.

They need to attract new customers without losing us faithful many.

But I don’t know what will happen, nobody does....

Suum cuique

It would be beneficial for P&O to allow you to book the package before you travel. That way they will have your money earlier, thus earning more interest, it's unlikely you would be able to pre-pay with your OBC (Similar to pre booked excursions) Other cruise companies such as Celebrity and RC allow you to pre-book items using your OBC.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping they would have sorted it out by now so I think the answer is no and if they do not in time for my cruise this week Azura

8 days at sea they will know people will drink more so if they do these packages it will possibly be after the repositioning cruises.

11 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

If you didn't book the package, but you still used £40 pppd what difference would it make?  It just sounds a helluva lot to me.  Can 't believe it's a good deal.

We would not book the package as we drink very little but as I understand it some people are prepared to buy the package even though it may not work out as a saving to them but it will mean that they know in advance exactly what their spending will be.

From what has been posted elsewhere (so not official) the staff didn't like the package..too complicated with the 15 min thing, and people wanting to get drinks for friends, etc etc etc. I know those who want the package would like it cheaper, but pando know what their spends are by passengers on s=drinks, so you would have the high spenders and the low spenders, pick a price in the middle. they have to make a profit on it.

3 hours ago, the english lady said:

From what has been posted elsewhere (so not official) the staff didn't like the package..too complicated with the 15 min thing, and people wanting to get drinks for friends, etc etc etc. I know those who want the package would like it cheaper, but pando know what their spends are by passengers on s=drinks, so you would have the high spenders and the low spenders, pick a price in the middle. they have to make a profit on it.

I doubt very much that the opinion of staff who serve passengers drinks, whether they’re on or off a drinks package, would be a factor in P&O’s decision making though? Profit would be their only consideration I would have thought. 

Wish they would just say one way or another so future cruisers can plan ahead 

2 hours ago, Caravan 37 said:

I doubt very much that the opinion of staff who serve passengers drinks, whether they’re on or off a drinks package, would be a factor in P&O’s decision making though? Profit would be their only consideration I would have thought. 

Wish they would just say one way or another so future cruisers can plan ahead 

I would hope they do listen to their staff as the viability of the scheme depends on them and therefore the profit.

Upsetting the  majority who will not take the deal by having poor service with staff being tied up with those with the deal is going to hit the bottom line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daiB said:

I would hope they do listen to their staff as the viability of the scheme depends on them and therefore the profit.

Upsetting the  majority who will not take the deal by having poor service with staff being tied up with those with the deal is going to hit the bottom line.

There is a domino effect with a package system as you mention. There aren't more people in a full  bar just more orders.  I wouldn't categorize it as poor service for I have seen waiters run off their feet.  No matter who they serve, the cash sale or the package holder, someone shall come last.  And I'll add another little hiccup in all this, and we too are guilty, offering a cash tip to the waiter to prompt return service which does offend some on both sides of the house.   I don't see pando's incentive to increase the number of waiters only to have to lay out more 'package' drinks.  And as I have covered in other postings, there could never be a fear of not making a handsome profit at the mark-up applied to their duty and tax free spirit costs.