All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita, I am so glad you are safe and it missed you . It is always better to be prepared than you know what to do next time .It is so sad when the storms are slow moving and they cause so much flooding .Last year with Hurricane Irene we lucked out in that it moved quickly so it was over in a day but the cleanup went on for months .Plus the media makes it worse with all the hype .It adds so much stress to an already bad situation.

Anita, I hope things are continuing to be good for you. Stories of the flooding in the Carolinas are just so sad.

We had remnants of Florence from Monday afternoon until yesterday evening. Some fierce rain and local road ponding made for terrible traffic, but you won't hear anyone complain given our lives aren't in danger. Manhattan is gridlocked all week anyway with the UN being in session.

We're headed to Miami Beach on Saturday where the forecast is for highs near 90 and morning showers. I need one nice outfit for dinner on Saturday, beach wear, workout clothes, maybe two daytime looks. I'm planning to pack in my rolling duffle and a laptop tote (I will have to do some work on Monday).

I'm still monitoring that 6 day cruise from NJ to PR. It's down to $299/pp ocean view with $100obc. The following cruise is a 7 day at $529pp with $50obc. So, a 13 day cruise for 2 at $58pp/day. I'm wondering how we'd like an OV cabin since we usually have a balcony. When we're retired my dream is to do a yearly bucket list vacation following by a cheapo getaway cruise, if we can find one. I'm loving the shoulder season rates. :)

Celebrity. For us it would be a great way to try a new cruise line at a bargain. The airfare for us to fly home would only be in the $250pp range. There is a Royal that leaves the next day for a 7 day ABCs that is running $689pp. I like that itinerary better. I am wondering if the deal won't be as good next year after the Summit has had its refurb.

I just treated myself to these pants just because. I think they'll go to Miami! If you look at the back view you see more of the colors. Lots of red and gold and turquoise.

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442528266&site_refer=CSE_GGLPLA:Womens_Pants:BCBGeneration&site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001_LT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI68zy55XI3QIVR1cNCh2DVQLzEAkYCSABEgJAPPD_BwE

Cute pants. They look like FL. We love Celebrity.

Great flight price. I’d do it without thinking. Whatever your Royal status is (up to Diamond) is given reciprocal status. We’d be Elite Plus on Celebrity already if we hadn’t done 4 Royal cruises. I could use the 240 minutes of internet... summit prices will be higher after the refit

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Margaret...looking at the Summit, the rooms 3138, 3140, 3142 are among the newest staterooms on the ship. They were part of one of the latest refurbs when they transformed what used to be conference rooms into those OV rooms. They generally get great reviews. You can look them up on at Sticky thread on the Celebrity board for M-class staterooms. Just search the thread using the stateroom numbers.

They feature an oversized port hole, the same kind of port hole that we had in our OV room, so I can vouch that it is a large port hole and has a decent view. The midship location is supposed to be very convenient and also very quiet...with few going down that hallway. If you could get one of those rooms for that price, then I say go for it.

I wish we could go on that cruise...it seems like it would be a nice vacation like cruise with all the sea days. There's just no way for us to do that this year.

Very cute pants! Take photos of your weekend in Florida! I need some vicarious vacation! I'm currently going through all our papers...something I have been putting off for a while. After the fire alarm we had last month, we decided to get a fireproof/waterproof safe for our important papers. It's not large, but we shouldn't have that much that needs to be protected...and that's my current project...sorting papers and making sure all is in order. The safe had arrived a while back but recent events have finally gotten my rear in gear to tackle the papers.

There is a Royal that leaves the next day for a 7 day ABCs that is running $689pp. I like that itinerary better.

Just to clarify, the Royal ABC leaves from SJ too so it would be an add on to the NJ-SJ leg on Summit. :)

Now that I'm back to work I realize it may be harder to leave than I thought. I have my private office back now and my student assistant said she missed me over the summer and gave me a hug. It was nice to chat with my work friends. One had a birthday so there was pizza and cake. What a nice first day back. :)

That picture is absolutely wonderful. I hope you had a great time! It must have been rather fun to have taken the subway.

Our weather has been cool for a few days but it was very warm the day before that.

I'm really right in the middle of New York. I have been to the Adirondacks a few times in the fall and it is stunning. To look at the leaves during their peak from the top of Whiteface Mountain is something you never forget.

That is probably to closest to me on that list, at about four and a half miles away.

My husband and I are on vacation next week. We are mostly going odds and ends, but will spend two days in Poughkeepsie, which is the Huson Valley area. We are going to Walkway Over The Hudson and will visit Vanderbilt Mansion. After we are back. One of the places we are going is Beak and Skiff to their tasting room and to pick apples.

AL East champs!!! [emoji461]️[emoji461]️ the last week or so has been hair raising, but I understand it's because they are experimenting with different players to see who their go to people are for the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Rub it in, guys, rub it in. :)

Thanks for the compliments. I had such a hard time getting ready on Friday... the shoes I was going to wear didn't fit (my feet are swollen from the hormones, I think). I didn't realize that the earrings I planned to wear are still at the bank. I have a black chiffon jacket type thing for eveningwear but I couldn't find that either. We had trouble getting a taxi, then when we finally did we only went about a mile before it was a disaster and we had to bail. We got to the party just at the tail end of cocktails so at least we weren't late for dinner. The man on my left was a concert pianist who had gone to Julliard, and was also well-traveled (Nepal!), so he was very interesting to talk with.

It was funny being on the subway, especially as we got on at a stop in a very industrial area by the tunnel. We got a few stares, for sure. In Manhattan nobody looked twice. There are often people who work in tuxes on the trains, going to their jobs. We used to have a cellist in our neighborhood and we would sometimes see him going to gigs in his tux in the early evening.

We're stuck at the airport for a bit due to bad weather in NYC. So I'll talk about Miami for a bit. Here is what I packed:

2 tshirts

1 shorts and 1 skort

1 nice top

1 casual dress

1 set workout clothes

bathing suit, coverup, hat, flipflops, rashguard

1 casual sandals

1 dressy shoes

On the plane:

Pleione top (floral black, orange, and coral floral), sweater, black ankle pants, sneakers. For luggage I had my rolling duffel and the tote that matches (I had to bring my laptop to keep up with work stuff).

We didn't have a car, so basically I just planned to do things at the hotel or within a short walk or bike ride of our location. Our hotel was right on the beach and had a pool, all-purpose restaurant, small bar, gift shop, and gym. We had good wifi so I downloaded some Netflix stuff to watch (but didn't). The Holiday Inn Miami Beach is three doors down from the Fontainebleau where the conference was, so quite convenient and MUCH cheaper. We stayed here two years ago, and I liked it because it was so quiet. If you've ever stayed at a hotel while a big conference is going on, you know how bad it can be.

We left our apartment at 9am and were standing in the hotel lobby by 2:30. We changed, grabbed some coffees, and went to the pool. We had a 7:30 reservation for a nice dinner at Scarpetta (best burrata ever) at the Fontainebleau.

I wore a dressy top in turquoise and gold with the black pants and my nude heels, plus my citrines. I had asked for an oceanview table which we got. It was SO delicious and quite romantic. We took our time strolling back to our hotel and people-watching. The grounds of the Fontainebleau are very nice. Saturday night in MB is very dressy, so we saw all the younger folks just coming out for a late dinner before going clubbing. OMG the dresses, the heels, the cars. It's a very flashy scene full of beautiful girls and handsome guys dressed to the nines. Out on the street you hear the bass thump, thump, thump from all the music coming from the Escalades. :)

Sunday we had breakfast together and went our separate ways, DH to check in for the conference, and I to a Zumba class at the local JCC only a five minute walk away. I had googled Zumba classes for each day, and I keep a Zumba playlist on my laptop that I can use if there is space. I didn't bring my waterproof camera so I only ended up with two pictures from my phone. This is from my walk:

miami1.jpg

It was a pretty good class, not as Latin as one would expect in MB, unfortunately. On the way back I stopped at Walgreens for a pool float and some wine, and then Subway for lunch. My workout earned me an afternoon of lounging by the pool and swimming in the ocean. I loved watching the cruise ships leaving for parts unknown. DH joined me after the conference for an adult beverage by the pool and a swim.

I wish I had packed our inflatable noodles, but sometimes I completely forget we have them because they are all the way in the back of our travel drawer.

to be continued....

Sounds like a great little getaway, Margaret. How long were you there for? I was originally going to do something similar for my vacation coming up, but based on plans for next year, we decided on staying home and just doing day trips with the exception Poughkeepsie.

I painted the guest room. The ceiling, walls and trim are done. I opted for a shade of gray, and I think it looks really nice. I have the rocking chair in there and will be bringing the tables up this weekend.

The curtains are.up, and as soon as we move the old dresser, I can hang up the pictures in there.

The last part id the bed itself, which we don't have yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Margaret, sounds like a great getaway. Love weekends like that. I keep my inflatable noodles in my waterproof dry bag, always ready to go. When we get back from a trip we put the waterproof camera (with charger & extra battery) in there as well. One bag to grab (it’s highlighter yellow, so easy to find!)

Laurie, sounds like you’ve been busy, bet it looks great

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those are very pretty, Melody. I'm going to take a better look in just a bit.

So, I've been thinking about my attire for our little trip. The drive is about 3 1/2 hours each way. We plan to leave in the morning Sunday, and will attempt an early check in. (I have requested it on my reservation, but I don't know for sure if our room will be ready.) We will then likely head to one our main destinations. I was thinking it will be Walkway Over the Hudson. Since it is over a mile each way, I need to wear my good walking sneakers. (athletic shoes, you could say) I am deciding if I want to go the route of gym clothes, which makes sense. But as you can tell by how I describe them, I normally just wear them to the gym! I have lots of nice things though. I think that one of my thoughts is that I could attempt to make the outfit seem more like athleisure. Leggings, and a sporty top that isn't a gym tank. I'm not sure i have what I would call a sporty top.

I planned to change for dinner, but not dress up. I will wear a nicer, darker finish pair of jeans with a nice sweater, maybe a scarf or some jewelry. It would be very reminiscent of when we visit Lake Placid in the Adirondacks.

The next day, we are going to the Vanderbilt Estate and a few other places. I would like to be comfortable, but will likely wear jeans again or casual pants. I have a pair of olive green tech type fabric pants, but if I wear those, it will be for the walk the day before, I think. I have a few options and they are all casual. I like to still feel pulled together. It makes me feel good.

We plan to find local places to eat, and from what I found online, there are a lot of options. I have been joking with my husband that it is a small town, I just know we are going to end up at Dennys. But really, there are a lot of small places there for us to try. When we check in, we always ask where the locals go for good food.

Tuesday we head back. So it is a short trip, but it will be fun. Saturday, I think we are going to Waterloo where the outlet mall is. I may keep it in the back of my mind thelook for a casual athleisure top. I do like things like that.

I think Margaret described this once very accurately. Clothing to me is kind of like a uniform. I believe that outfits have a purpose - work, gym, formal night, business casual, etc. I am most comfortable when feel like I am wearing the right thing. I start with the uniform approach, and then it is about color and style. I love the process.

By the way, the last I checked, weather was going to be pleasant, but I'm sure it will be pretty chilly at night.