Check in staggered times

Lee2385

Carnival says "Arrival Appointments can be selected any time after you make a reservation, for sailings within six months of departure and no later than midnight (eastern time) prior to your sailing date."

Ours showed up around 195 days before our sailing date.

Happy new year everyone!! How soon can I pick my boarding time? We cruise in July and I’m not seeing it on my “my check in”??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Clarifying that the Arrival Appointment time is when passengers can enter the port building.

It has nothing to do with boarding time, which begins after the ship has been cleared by customs.

Thank you guys for the question, info and clarification. Never worried about this before, we have just always gotten to the port as early as we could and never had any problems with that, but things change....maybe we should select an arrival time just to be safe.

Happy New Year OP and all!

... we have just always gotten to the port as early as we could ...

And we don't plan on changing that (y) but the earliest arrival slot available for our cruise is 12:00...

So now the question is, according to this relatively new arrival-time-window policy: If I select 12:00 arrival but we get there at 11:00, what happens? Will we be told we have to wait till 12:00 to clear through Customs and check in at the Carnival counter? Anybody know? Am I better off not selecting a specific arrival time?

And we don't plan on changing that (y) but the earliest arrival slot available for our cruise is 12:00...

So now the question is, according to this relatively new arrival-time-window policy: If I select 12:00 arrival but we get there at 11:00, what happens? Will we be told we have to wait till 12:00 to clear through Customs and check in at the Carnival counter? Anybody know? Am I better off not selecting a specific arrival time?

If you are Diamond, Platinum, or have FTTF, you will walk right into the terminal. If you are not any of the above, you will stand outside the terminal with your carry on bags until 12:00 and then you will be allowed to enter the terminal.

If you are Diamond, Platinum, or have FTTF, you will walk right into the terminal. If you are not any of the above, you will stand outside the terminal with your carry on bags until 12:00 and then you will be allowed to enter the terminal.

Well, that's "progress" for ya. Never had to wait before. Thanks for your reply. I do hope to get FTTF, but it's been "Sold Out" since I booked the cruise several months ago.

PS: I don't mean to divert from Lee2385's original question.

From Galveston

January 2017 Terminal 2 no one was admitted before their appointment time. They checked several times before you were allowed in the building.

Dec 2017 Terminal 1 they had two check in lines... one for arriving during your appointment window, and one for before or after your appointment window. The during line was much shorter than the outside your appointment time line. They were allowed to enter the building outside check in appointment time but had a MUCH longer wait.

There is no customs at check in. There is also no customs leaving the U.S. even by aircraft

Last week in Baltimore I was a little early and was waived right in.

If you are Platinum or Diamond, or have purchased FTTF it doesn't matter. If you aren't any of those priority levels then you have to wait until your selected time to be allowed into the port.

I am platinum and sailing on the conquest with my 9 year old granddaughter. I am sailing with my friend and her 8 year old granddaughter. She is Gold. We have side-by-side cabins. Our appointed arrival time is 11:30. We plan to arrive near that time. My question is, will she be able to checkin and wait with me? Is there a "priority" area? A few years ago, my DH and I took several grandkids. I was platinum, he was not. We had different cabins. We were all checked in together.

Also, what if we were arrive around 11? Would we be made to wait outside?

Janet

I am platinum and sailing on the conquest with my 9 year old granddaughter. I am sailing with my friend and her 8 year old granddaughter. She is Gold. We have side-by-side cabins. Our appointed arrival time is 11:30. We plan to arrive near that time. My question is, will she be able to checkin and wait with me? Is there a "priority" area? A few years ago, my DH and I took several grandkids. I was platinum, he was not. We had different cabins. We were all checked in together.

Janet

Since you are Platinum who ever is in your actual cabin will be allowed in when ever you decide to show up at the port-your appointment/arrival time assigned is irrelevant. As far as your friend and her grand daughter, the true answer is no, they will not be allowed with you. Your best bet would be to all arrive at their time and wait in the general area if you want to stay together. Then again, since Carnival is wishy washy whether or not they enforce their guideline and rules who knows exactly what they will or will not allow.

Janet

If you are Platinum then you can arrive as early as the first appointment arrival time. If the kids are booked in the cabin without an adult they can check in and board with you.

If there is an adult assigned to that cabin and they aren’t Platinum then they will be on their own and must adhere to their check in time or will be waiting outside until closer to their time or until they are let in. Also they will not be allowed in the Captain’s lounge with you.

Keep checking too. The first available appt time for our cruise in May was 12PM also, but I was just able to change to 11AM last week. Which is good because our flight arrives around 9AM.

Keep checking too. The first available appt time for our cruise in May was 12PM also, but I was just able to change to 11AM last week. Which is good because our flight arrives around 9AM.

I am only guessing at ths. But, I would imagine that if the general boarding area is not very busy, they would allow you to enter. But, if busy, then you would have to wait until the appointed time. It is a control measure and probably flexible. But, I would not depend on it. Rules are rules and things goes much more smoothly when everyone complies. I purchase FTTF whenever I can and avoid all of that. To me it is well worth it.

I am only guessing at ths. But, I would imagine that if the general boarding area is not very busy, they would allow you to enter. But, if busy, then you would have to wait until the appointed time. It is a control measure and probably flexible. But, I would not depend on it. Rules are rules and things goes much more smoothly when everyone complies. I purchase FTTF whenever I can and avoid all of that. To me it is well worth it.

Not true , they are very strict on the check in times , Galveston ,you will be check by several agents before you even enter the terminal ,,, and they will refuse to let you in until your printed check in time

From Galveston

January 2017 Terminal 2 no one was admitted before their appointment time. They checked several times before you were allowed in the building.

Dec 2017 Terminal 1 they had two check in lines... one for arriving during your appointment window, and one for before or after your appointment window. The during line was much shorter than the outside your appointment time line. They were allowed to enter the building outside check in appointment time but had a MUCH longer wait.

Thanks much for the real-world experiences, especially per Galveston which is our next port of sailing. And our first time cruising from that port.

There is no customs at check in. There is also no customs leaving the U.S. even by aircraft

Apologies for the terminology faux pas. Of course I meant port security, not customs.

Thanks, happy to see we can change it. I'll go ahead and grab a 12:00 arrival (while it's still available) and then hope (like getting FTTF) I can pick an earlier arrival later.

Thanks to all for your constructive comments, exactly why this board exists, for fellow cruisers to help each other out.

What is FTTF?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/~/faster-to-the-fun-%28fttf%29

FASTER TO THE FUN (FTTF)

Now guests can maximize their vacation fun with Carnival's Faster to the Fun (FTTF) package. This program is available for purchase via Carnival.com Shore Excursions. Space is limited. Simply click on your cruise ship departure port for availability. Faster to the Fun is very popular and sells out quickly so we encourage you to check back in case of cancellations.

Note: VIFP Platinum and Diamond members do not need to purchase this package as these and other benefits are included as part of Platinum and Diamond Club status.

Faster to the Fun is offered in the following home ports: Baltimore, Charleston, Fort Lauderdale, Galveston, Jacksonville, Long Beach, Miami, Mobile, New Orleans, New York, Port Canaveral, San Juan, Seattle and Tampa.

Faster to the Fun is not offered on Carnival Journeys departures, nor on cruises from the following home ports: Honolulu, Norfolk, Vancouver and Europe.

The price is per stateroom, so only one guest needs to purchase Faster to the Fun and all occupants in the stateroom receive the benefits. Prices are subject to change and may vary by ship. Faster to the Fun is subject to availability.

Prices Starting From

Per Stateroom

Cruise Durations

$49.95 USD

2 day and 3 day cruises

$49.95 USD

4 day cruises (excluding Carnival Liberty, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Valor and Carnival Victory)

$59.95 USD

4 day cruises on Carnival Liberty, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Triumph,

Carnival Valor and Carnival Victory

$59.95 USD

5 day cruises on Carnival Sensation

$69.95 USD

5 day cruises (excluding Carnival Sensation)

$69.95 USD

6 day and 7 day cruises

$79.95 USD

8 day and longer cruises (excluding Carnival Journeys departures)

Here's what the program includes:

Priority Security, Check-in and Boarding

A dedicated security and check-in lane has been set aside for all Priority guests on embarkation day. FTTF guests will board after VIFP Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Note: Only Diamond, Platinum and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations have access to the Captain’s Lounge.

First Access to Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready for you as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for all the fun you are about to have.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

Priority Luggage

While we process thousands of bags, FTTF luggage will receive priority delivery.

Guest Services

Quickly have any of your questions answered or requests addressed as you will have a dedicated phone extension and line at Guest Services.

Dining Reservations

Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.

Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.

Tender Priority

You will have priority tender service from ship to shore (multiple departure times may be possible) so you can explore ashore as quickly as you want to. When ready to go ashore, if not on a Carnival shore excursion, present yourself at the Guest Services Desk.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Debarkation Choices

When it’s time to say good bye, you may choose an early or late disembarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations.

Things to Remember

• The FTTF price is not per person. One ticket per stateroom covers all occupants of the stateroom, so only one guest needs to purchase and all occupants receive the benefits.
  • For guests sailing on multiple cruises back to back, FTTF must be purchased for each cruise in order to benefit from the program.
  • FTTF can only be purchased prior to the cruise; al a carte services cannot be purchased onboard. FTTF is now open on sail dates through 2018, where applicable. It will be offered on the Carnival Horizon starting with the 12/01/2018 departure. For 2019 sail dates, please check back in the Spring of 2018.
  • All FTTF guests must check-in online and select an Arrival Appointment.
  • Guests who completed their Online Check-in prior to purchasing the FTTF package, will need to re-print their boarding pass and luggage tags so the FTTF stamp reflects on the documents.

A Few Facts on Faster to the Fun

• VIFP Diamond and Platinum members and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are the only guests to have access to the Captain’s Lounge at embarkation.
  • Similar to airlines boarding first class and then elite frequent flyers, etc., we will start boarding with VIFP Diamond and Platinum members, followed by guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations and then FTTF guests.
  • The number of people who may purchase the FTTF package will be capacity controlled based upon the number of VIFP Diamond and Platinum members booked on the sailing.

More specific. New Orleans. If we get to the terminal and Park BEFORE our 11:30am Arrival Appointment Time as indicated on the ticket. Will we be able to go INSIDE the building and wait or will we be outside the terminal building. We leave in a week. (January) Could be cool waiting outside. Thank you in advance.