Getting To NOLA from Gulfport

98Charlie

Skybus flies from Columbus to Gulfport airport sometimes as cheap as $10 one way + taxes. What are the best ways to get to New Orleans?

I checked out a couple of car rentals but they don't do one ways between the two.

Has anyone had experience with any of the shuttle/limo services out of Gulfport?

Charlie

We did the Skybus route from Greensboro to Gulfport for our New Orleans cruise in mid Feb. (We got $20 tickets - YEAH) I posted this same questions back then, but had no luck with responses. Here is my experience. We flew in the day before because of the flight times. Stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn in Gulfport. They had a free shuttle from the airport. We spoke to a local cab driver who told us the only way to NOLA is cab or car rental. Cab is $150 each way. Hertz was the only company we found that had off airport locations open on Sunday. Their office on Convention Blvd. is about 3/4 of a mile from the pier. DH dropped us (me and 2 kids) off at the pier, took the car to Hertz, and walked back. We did the reverse on the way back. It was about $125/ each way. The NBA All Star game was in NOLA that weekend, not sure if this inflated prices. Get the smallest car available. We had a Carolla, and were fine with 3 large suitcases, and 2 carryons, + 4 people. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to drive. We went with car rental instead of cab because we wanted to see a little of NOLA before and after the cruse. Both times our Hertz car came with complementary GPS. I don't know if this is standard. It seemed like everyone getting off of that Skybus plane rented a car, so there aren't many deals to be found in Gulfport. We just tried to keep in mind that there would still have been hotel/cab fees even if we stayed in NOLA. Keep in mind that Skybus checked luggage has gone up to $10/bag - $12 if you check in at the airport, so pack as light as possible.

Thanks for the info.

All in all we'll probably just look in to flying direct to NOLA unless we snag the super low fare.

I hadn't heard about the increase in luggage fee. We have a flight booked in June and hadn't gotten any emails. It was still listed as $5 when we booked.

Oh well, it's still going to be a cheap trip.:D

Charlie

Archived