Tipping for Excursions

Rdclfamily

When we were off the ship in Barcelona, France, and Italy, we tipped with Euros. On ship, with US Dollars.

Nobody seemed to mind or let us know in anyway that we insulted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not regarded as insulting in most of Europe, and it's quite common in tourist places - but not at US levels.

And, as I posted, recipients will almost certainly accept tips large and small regardless of local culture.

Headline prices are higher than in the US because they include decent wages, and tips on top are earned for good service rather than a right for simply doing their job. So over-tipping riles local customers.

Because we Europeans are used to "the price you see is the price you pay", when I go to the States prices always seem like bargains :).

But add-ons like tax & tips jack up the total cost :(

JB :)

Trying to budget for our various excursions we have planned, and the thought of tipping came to me.

We are doing the following excursions:

1) UTV tour (prepaid around $400 for four people) - should I tip about $40 ($10 per person in our crew)

2) Private owner / tour guide: $265 - Tip about $50???

3) Snorkel tour for 4 at $45 each = $180 - Tip about $20-30?

What are your thoughts? These are not cruise line excursions. All private.

Might depend where in the world you are.

Explain please. The way I read this, there are some areas where tipping in not warranted? I know there are areas that don’t generally tip but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t if we choose too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apparently, It's an insult to offer tips in Japan. In their culture, they are paid to do the job well in the first place, says my well-travelled son in law, so has been many times to Japan.

The interesting thing about tips, at least in the US, is the almost double rate at which the "standard" tip seems to have risen.

When a 10% tip was standard, a $10 meal might be seen as earning a $1 tip for the waiter. Now, what used to be a $10 meal may well cost $50 - and, at the same time, the standard tip seems to be referred to as 15% to 18%.

So, while the cost of the meal has gone up five times, from $10 to $50, the amount of the tip has gone up from $1 to $7.50 to $9.00 - or seven-and-one-half to nine times.

The interesting thing about tips, at least in the US, is the almost double rate at which the "standard" tip seems to have risen.

When a 10% tip was standard, a $10 meal might be seen as earning a $1 tip for the waiter. Now, what used to be a $10 meal may well cost $50 - and, at the same time, the standard tip seems to be referred to as 15% to 18%.

So, while the cost of the meal has gone up five times, from $10 to $50, the amount of the tip has gone up from $1 to $7.50 to $9.00 - or seven-and-one-half to nine times.

I comment on this frequently, their wage has grown at double the rate of inflation, near enough especially when I see people suggesting 18% isn’t enough, not sure I know any other job that has done this, indeed keeping up with inflation seems to have been difficult for many.