Viking River Cruise Travel Insurance

Three Palms Point

Looking for travel insurance ideas when not purchasing through Viking, Thanks!

We have used Allianze and found it to be less than the river boat quotes. But you can do a google search and compare.

Cole

Looking for travel insurance ideas when not purchasing through Viking, Thanks!

Go to insuremytrip.com. You enter basic information on the trip dates, your age and trip costs and you receive prices from all the major travel insurance companies. It’s super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I looked at insuremytrip.com but nothing it showed was any better than the company I was already using. So, I have stuck with the company I was already using and am happy with, but insuremytrip just confirmed that I was getting a good deal.

Our credit card offers very good travel insurance including trip delay or cancellation, lost luggage, etc. It also includes medical coverage, but we feel the limits are inadequate. We bought medical coverage including evacuation from American Express at very affordable rates. They offer a variety of coverage types that you can pick from depending on your needs, and you don’t have to have an American Express account to purchase from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our credit card offers very good travel insurance including trip delay or cancellation, lost luggage, etc. It also includes medical coverage, but we feel the limits are inadequate. We bought medical coverage including evacuation from American Express at very affordable rates. They offer a variety of coverage types that you can pick from depending on your needs, and you don’t have to have an American Express account to purchase from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, here is a link to CC's sub-forum specifically about travel insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Second, some or most (all?) charge card coverage *excludes* anything related to pre-existing conditions. This won't only affect medical costs. It can also affect trip cancellation costs, and trip interruption (which can cost *more* than an outright cancellation). So make SURE about this possible "gotcha".

We learned from right here on CC about the travel insurance broker

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They handle policies from several vetted insurance companies, and more than one policy each (I'm not 100% sure if *all* of them have more than one policy offered here).

NO extra charge for doing this; the insurer pays the commission, and the policy costs the same if purchased through a broker.

We *strongly* suggest CALLING them, and discussing any insurance needs or questions. Also, they may ask some questions, leading to useful issues that one might not have thought about.

All but one of our policies thus far have been through them with the insurer Travel Insure. Importantly, they have paid claims promptly, including two large claims.

In most cases, it's best to start the insurance within about 10-20 days of the very first deposit/payment. All one needs to insure, usually, is the amount of that payment, and later up the coverage as more non-refundable payments are made.

This usually means one is covered for any costs related to pre-existing conditions.

IF one misses that deadline, there is at least one other insurer that TIS can help with that will cover pre-existing condition costs if the policy is started within 24 hours of final payment (defined narrowly, no surprise). However, the coverage isn't quite as good... but a *lot* better than no coverage!

(We had to get this type once, when we missed the initial deadline because we didn't really think we'd be going. We didn't have a claim that time, so can't speak to that with any insurer other than Travel Insured.)

Note that trip interruptions can be more costly than trip cancellation. There might be non-refundable costs either way, but with interruption, there might be extra costs (full-fare flights home) or extra hotel costs in a city one didn't expect to spend much time in, etc.

GC