Norwegian Wind horror stories

Renmar

Heard a few horror stories about the Norwegian Wind such as; Rude waiters, bad food,unclean etc. Has anybody been on the Norw. Wind lately. We're planning on cruising her around Hawaii this fall and any info would help.

Thanks to all.

renmar....we just returneed from an 11 day cruise on the wind 3/22....as i wrote in my mini review...the wind is an older ship and the stabilizers make for a rough ride on the pacific....we ate in most of the restaurants on the ship and found the servers to be very efficient, and do their jobs quite well....as for the food, it was just o.k....nothing to write home about ,but edible...the crew does a wonderful job cleaning the ship..the only complaint that i might have in that respect was in the sports bar and grill where they have buffet meals...its small, and the tables are not cleaned as quickly as they should be, that being said, the ship is quite clean....i just hope you have better weather than we did, it rained 10 out of the 11 days

Heard a few horror stories about the Norwegian Wind such as; Rude waiters, bad food,unclean etc. Has anybody been on the Norw. Wind lately. We're planning on cruising her around Hawaii this fall and any info would help.

Thanks to all.

We cruised on the Wind last April. Service was excellent, weather was great, made it to Fanning and enjoyed the island and beaches as well as the at-sea days going and returning. In fact, the at- sea days were some of the most relaxing. At the end of 10 days, there were still places on the ship we never made it to and we had such a good time, I could have done 10 more days!

Renmar, we are sailing on the Wind in October and like you I have read many bad reviews as well as good ones. This bothered me until I decided to read the reviews for other ships that I had sailed on and had enjoyed. There is a mixture of good and bad reviews for all the ships I have sailed on previously which made me feel a lot better about sailing on the Wind. I think some people are hard to please. They should also look at the price they are paying and whatever way you look at that, the Wind is excellent value for money. Many of the complaints such as rough seas, rain and illness are not the fault of the cruise line and they should not be blamed for this. I hope you have a great Vacation I know I plan to.

I think the most important thing for anyone to remember is the older ships do not have the glitz or offer the glamour of the new mega ships. As long as you go with an open mind and decide what you expect from a cruise you should have a wonderful time. We did the Sea a couple of years ago, it was our second time on her. The first she was in her prime and actually considered a pretty large vessel, the second she was showing her age, (so are most of us) LOL. Regardless she was clean and well maintained. The food, though not gourmet was very good and the crew wonderful. We knew what we had paid, we didn't expect her to be like a Radisson cruise and knew how small the cabins would be. I would go on her or the Wind in a second for the right price. Most bad reviews of older ships come from those who are accustom to sailing the mega ships or come from cruisers who didn't do enough research prior to sailing. NMNita

I always enjoy reading your posts Nita. You were so helpful when we were planning our first NCL cruise. And we loved the Hilton Hawaiian Village!

We have been looking at sailing the Wind. It seems to be a great value considering how much you spend staying in a hotel or condo... and the food was so expensive in Hawaii. We had a great time on the Pride of Aloha even though she was a new ship. I read on some posts that Fanning Island will be dropped as a port in the future. Has anyone else heard about it and I wonder when they plan on changing the schedule.

I've been watching all the web sites that have specials etc. and it seems that all specials are for the fall and to the end of Dec. We are planning our trip in Jan. 2007. I know you have a history with TA's, when do they start posting specials for 2007 in general?

Merg, I am glad you enjoyed the Hilton, it is one of my favorite hotels. Food expensive? you are kidding? Seriously I haven't been there for about 8 years but last time I went I was with my DD and 2 granddaughters: this was in the days of Denny's grand slam breakfast being $2.99 stateside: $7.00 in Hawaii. I could, of course go on and on.

Jan is pretty low season for Hawaii, the specials should be coming out in a couple of months. I do not know exactly but it shouldn't be too much longer. good luck, NMNita

Been on the Wind twice and loved it both times. I find it an interesting mix of passengers and most Europeans onbaord find it a great value for a ship without all the "bells and whistles" so to speak. (I mean, who really books a cruise where the concern is "does it have a bowling alley?") :rolleyes:

The other advantage is it being more of a mid size ship than a megaship. You will really appreciate that when tendering over to your ports of call and theres not 2,000 people ahead of you standing in line.

Also, I recommend paying the extra $25.00 for the premium restaurant at least one night. There you'll find items like escargot and lobster on the menu. (Best escargot I've ever had mind you).

As for the staff, we made great friends like our bartender, Surresh and his mate Singh. Also Anika from Rumania who found out on our Alaskan cruise her grandmother who had raised her had just died. She was wiping tears and tending to her tables when some jerk passenger reemed her for his coke not being delivered two seconds after he ordered. I found those were the kind of people who complained about everything and wouldn't be happy no matter what in their lives. I suspect some of the horrifyiing reviews you read may have been from some of those "glass half empty" kind of people.

Sail the Wind and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks to all of you. Looks like we are going to sail on the Wind in october.

Same as Woodley, maybe even same cruise. We are realy looking forward to Hawaii (never been there).

Thanks to all.

you must be reading only the negatives: there have been several great reviews: everyone has to remember she isn't new and glitzy, but many love her, say she has a great crew and if you read the reports on her cleanliness they are great as are all NCL ships. Rememaber more people will write negatives than positives. We expect to be happy and often forget to let everyone know how good things are, but if they go bad we can't wait to spread the word. NMNita

The service and food is excellant!:D The Maite Ta De's (sp) almost hover around you asking if everything is OK. If you're not happy with the food, say so and more food will come including lobster. No excuse to complain.

John

I was on the wind a few months ago (the 11-day cruise), and found nothing to complain about - except for a few obnoxious professional malcontents. The crew is almost uniformly friendly and efficient, the food is quite satisfactory, and the entertainment is what one would expect on a ship of that size. I hope the Wind is still making the Fanning Island trip in another year or two, when I'd like to do it again.

• 12 years later...

Our first NCL cruise was on the Wind in September of 2006 for our Honeymoon. We have many great memories of that trip. We have since been on 11 NCL cruises and this one was definitely one of my favorites!

I was however, very disappointed we didn't get to go to Fanning Island due to a medical emergency, but the substitute itinerary allowed us to see more of Hawaii which was great.

One sign of the changing times is the fact that even though people were disappointed, there was not a stampede of passengers at guest services of people expecting some sort of compensation. Everyone tried to imagine how we would feel if it were our loved one who needed emergency care.

We made the most of things, and ended up having so much fun enjoying an extra stop in Maui and more time in Kauai exploring the Na pali coast.

I saw this thread & had to take a look...

We sailed the Wind 02/06/08, our delayed Honeymoon & Johnny's first cruise... Loved the itinerary, the ship & the team!!! Saw a number of the bartenders again on future ships. Loved Fanning Island / The Republic of Kiribati. After the cruise we were fortunate to spend a month on Molokai - truly a fantastic Honeymoon - only delayed by 61/2 months.

At the time we were not aware of Cruise Critic. Our intro would come a number of cruises & years later. Enjoyable to look back & see comments on the ship which convinced John he actually did enjoy cruising :cool: