All Inclusive

Just looking at different Cruise companies for next years hols , done RCI/Cunard and P&O , have to go in school hols due to wife work and was looking at a Med cruise on Discovery 2 next August , attracted by the all inclusive price . Mentioned it to wife and she asked with it being all inclusive (drink) is it likely to be more raucous/noisy as some might drink to excess :)

Any evidence of this ?

Can't comment on the situation during July and August or any other school holiday dates but not had a problem on 31 previous cruises with TUI I would think the children being left to their own devices would be more of a problem

Just looking at different Cruise companies for next years hols , done RCI/Cunard and P&O , have to go in school hols due to wife work and was looking at a Med cruise on Discovery 2 next August , attracted by the all inclusive price . Mentioned it to wife and she asked with it being all inclusive (drink) is it likely to be more raucous/noisy as some might drink to excess :)

Any evidence of this ?

If you find one place noisy there are plenty more places to drink and enjoy,we have never had a problem so far,

Thanks for replies , think she had read somewhere about booze cruises and that may have triggered a memory of when we last went all inclusive on a land holiday and some filled their boots all day round the pool and annoyed other holiday makers but as you say they are big ships and can easily be avoided .

Any evidence of this ?

Check my signature and you can see that we have done similar cruises to you and have booked already on Discovery 2 for August next year (back to back - 2 weeks) so may see you on board.

Have been on many cruises where drinks are strong and aplenty but never had trouble with the common people as they don't normally cruise.

Check my signature and you can see that we have done similar cruises to you and have booked already on Discovery 2 for August next year (back to back - 2 weeks) so may see you on board.

Have been on many cruises where drinks are strong and aplenty but never had trouble with the common people as they don't normally cruise.

??? How do you work that out ,

??? How do you work that out ,

Define ‘common people’!

We are forced to cruise in school holidays and we sailed on Discovery two years ago. Yes, it was wall to wall kids, mostly out of control, but that is lack of parental control imo.

The main problem was wall to wall noise. It’s impossible to find anywhere quiet to sit as you are constantly bombarded with loud music, everywhere! Even on our balcony, loud music drifted over from the pool bar. As for drunkenness, we didn’t see any problems to be honest, common people or not!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Common people - The 20-30s party crowd, go on a holiday for just sun, sand and booze. Want cheap flights, cheap rooms and free drinks. The Benidorm/Ibiza crowd.

Not us sophisticated people who want to cruise to different cultures/countries and want to experience the sights and history of places.

Common people - The 20-30s party crowd, go on a holiday for just sun, sand and booze. Want cheap flights, cheap rooms and free drinks. The Benidorm/Ibiza crowd.

Not us sophisticated people who want to cruise to different cultures/countries and want to experience the sights and history of places.

I support your point of view entirely, however, like you we have sailed with different cruise lines when they have a drinks package promotion running and in my experience , it’s only the Brits that go mad on the drinks. Never saw it on Celebrity or P&O. Maybe AI is a backward step by TUI/Marella/Thomson? What defeats me though is how the hell the younger people afford it. We save all year for the two week cruise and for us anyway, it’s a luxury. Btw, we have chosen Discovery 2 in August for the itinerary.

Sounds more like condescending people rather than sophisticated

BTW,Enjoy cruising and enjoy Benidorm also

They only thing stoppng me being in your classification of common is age group

I have talked to plenty of people on cruises who I would say are from a working class background or like me brought up on a council estate, but have worked hard and saved,also I have talked to and had a drink with younger ones in a group who were from Sheffield and proud of where they came from again council estates dad works in iron foundry so they were taught respect and to be polite with people ,I was also on a cruise Severn years ago with a well known politician and his girlfriend /secretary ,who drank all day and night and shouted and liked people to know who he was ,how much he could afford to spend,he tried to have a go at me but I put him in his place,as my dad always said ,remember nobody's better than you .

I have talked to plenty of people on cruises who I would say are from a working class background or like me brought up on a council estate, but have worked hard and saved,also I have talked to and had a drink with younger ones in a group who were from Sheffield and proud of where they came from again council estates dad works in iron foundry so they were taught respect and to be polite with people ,I was also on a cruise Severn years ago with a well known politician and his girlfriend /secretary ,who drank all day and night and shouted and liked people to know who he was ,how much he could afford to spend,he tried to have a go at me but I put him in his place,as my dad always said ,remember nobody's better than you .

And yes he was a public schoolboy ,and was also caught up in the expenses fraud ,so you do get common people who behave and tossers who don't .

Sounds more like condescending people rather than sophisticated

BTW, Enjoy cruising and enjoy Benidorm also

The only thing stopping me being in your classification of common is age group

I have tickets to Benidorm live, lol.

But you know the people classification I am talking about. Basically the stag/hen party crowd.

We didn’t see any evidence of this on Explorer and we went at half term. Some of The kids were annoying by the pool during the day as they were badly behaved and not supervised but we didn’t see any drunken behaviour whatsoever in the evening. There are also so many different places with different atmospheres you can find somewhere to suit. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would highly recommend anyone to give it a try

We are returning to TUI/Marella after a lengthy break and have been reassured to hear that going AI across the board has not turned the sailings into “booze cruises”. Having spent my working life in a school I remember well the wall to wall kids! It is an unavoidable downside (when your own have grown up) of travelling in the school holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn’t see any evidence of this on Explorer and we went at half term. Some of The kids were annoying by the pool during the day as they were badly behaved and not supervised but we didn’t see any drunken behaviour whatsoever in the evening. There are also so many different places with different atmospheres you can find somewhere to suit. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would highly recommend anyone to give it a try

Somewhere to sit, in peace, is the problem on Discovery in my experience. Sadly it really is loud music everywhere you go. There was no escape on our last Discovery cruise. I was so pleased we had a balcony.

It is exactly the same on Celebrity ships. Loudspeakers all around the sundecks and the sound really cranks up when there is some type of dance activity on. As you say thank goodness for balconies!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The constant loud music in many public areas was the main downside of our cruise on Discovery in May, the only escape from it on the long sea days was in our cabin (without balcony). Marella seem to be slightly out of touch with their main clientelle, I'm pretty sure the majority of them would prefer a bit of peace and quite in order to enjoy what should be relaxing sea days, not an aural assault on the senses.

The constant loud music in many public areas was the main downside of our cruise on Discovery in May, the only escape from it on the long sea days was in our cabin (without balcony). Marella seem to be slightly out of touch with their main clientelle, I'm pretty sure the majority of them would prefer a bit of peace and quite in order to enjoy what should be relaxing sea days, not an aural assault on the senses.

Yes, spoilt ours two years ago too. There was simply no getting away from it. It was a special anniversary for us so we lashed out on a junior suite. Even on the balcony the noise washed down from the pool deck. Marella know what they are doing, just aiming for a much lower age group; ‘Free’ booze, no tips and wall to wall music. If it wasn’t for the itineraries I would bid them goodbye.

I support your point of view entirely, however, like you we have sailed with different cruise lines when they have a drinks package promotion running and in my experience , it’s only the Brits that go mad on the drinks. Never saw it on Celebrity or P&O. Maybe AI is a backward step by TUI/Marella/Thomson? What defeats me though is how the hell the younger people afford it. We save all year for the two week cruise and for us anyway, it’s a luxury. Btw, we have chosen Discovery 2 in August for the itinerary.

They work hard for their money and know how to enjoy themselves.

My neighbours across the road decided on a Marella Dream cruise and a 4 day stay in Majorca to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary - they are under 50 - and their first cruise. They loved it and like all of us are now hooked. However when sitting in the bar of their hotel with other guests from the south the wife heard a woman say to another woman "I don't know how these Northerners can afford to stay in a hotel such as this" She was gobsmacked and had to say something, so she said " because we work 7 days a week" which both her and her husband do many weeks as they own their own business. I said she should have said " because we own our own business and who do you work for" or " because our house is paid for and although may not be worth the value of yours we're not paying for it for life"

Thank God these kind of people do not cruise with Marella

My neighbours across the road decided on a Marella Dream cruise and a 4 day stay in Majorca to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary - they are under 50 - and their first cruise. They loved it and like all of us are now hooked. However when sitting in the bar of their hotel with other guests from the south the wife heard a woman say to another woman "I don't know how these Northerners can afford to stay in a hotel such as this" She was gobsmacked and had to say something, so she said " because we work 7 days a week" which both her and her husband do many weeks as they own their own business. I said she should have said " because we own our own business and who do you work for" or " because our house is paid for and although may not be worth the value of yours we're not paying for it for life"

Thank God these kind of people do not cruise with Marella

Or they could have said we have a whippet that always wins its races, and our flat cap business is very busy now Huddersfield have stayed in the premiership ,

lol ska man - just reminded me to go and feed ours!!

Well I am being tempted by Marella cruises. I am reminded that I would probably be happiest if I get my own balcony because I find music really annoying as I want to study for my next degree whilst on holiday (even though I am 59).

I just hope that I don't get near to someone who has not yet learnt that southern accent does not equate to intelligence and achievement. I have studied at Newcastle, Birmingham and currently Sheffield. All cities that I have come to love .

Well I am being tempted by Marella cruises. I am reminded that I would probably be happiest if I get my own balcony because I find music really annoying as I want to study for my next degree whilst on holiday (even though I am 59).

I just hope that I don't get near to someone who has not yet learnt that southern accent does not equate to intelligence and achievement. I have studied at Newcastle, Birmingham and currently Sheffield. All cities that I have come to love .

Yes, get a balcony!

As far as accents go, I live in Norfolk, but originally from Middlesbrough! Twenty odd years traveling around the world with the RAF mostly got rid of my broad Yorkshire accent. So I think I’m fairly none accent specific!