Mens jackets - seabourn odyssey

barry3040

Yes. This is true. Jackets are indeed optional except on formal night in the MDR. I am just home from the Ovation and noted specifically that many men do not wear a jacket to dinner in the MDR (called The Restaurant). On the other hand, many men do wear jackets to dinner in this venue. Men who did not wear jackets appeared to be wearing collared shirts of a type that could be worn with a jacket.

We only dined a couple of times in the more casual venues in the evening and I was not paying attention to jackets. I know that SOME men wore them as my husband always wore a jacket to dinner--no matter the venue. They are certainly not required.

Yes. This is true. Jackets are indeed optional except on formal night in the MDR. I am just home from the Ovation and noted specifically that many men do not wear a jacket to dinner in the MDR (called The Restaurant). On the other hand, many men do wear jackets to dinner in this venue. Men who did not wear jackets appeared to be wearing collared shirts of a type that could be worn with a jacket.

We only dined a couple of times in the more casual venues in the evening and I was not paying attention to jackets. I know that SOME men wore them as my husband always wore a jacket to dinner--no matter the venue. They are certainly not required.

Anyone wearing a good quality polo shirt and slacks, or no?

Anyone wearing a good quality polo shirt and slacks, or no?

Does the shirt have to be a dress or business shirt or is a collared smart open neck shirt also acceptable ( not a polo)? I mean acceptable to the maitre d' , not the self appointed dress code police. 😊

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

quoting from Chairsin’s post last fall:

“I will quote from the planner I just received for our Feb cruise

Attire During the Day

“Casual resort-style attire, including jeans and shorts, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or the fitness center

Attire for Evenings - after 6PM attire on board will be one of the following:

1. Elegant casual

Men : slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater., jacket optional

Ladies: slacks/skirt, blouse pant suit or dress

This is the Dress standard for all dining venues.

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day.

Jeans are not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6PM

2. Formal

In the Restaurant

Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required

Ladies: Evening gown of other formal apparel

Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual

So this means no polo shirts (as they are not collared dress shirts) and no shorts- even nice sip ones.. I will say that I have seem some people get away with dressing in shorts and polo shirts at the Patio Grill at night. “

Attire During the Day

“Casual resort-style attire, including jeans and shorts, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or the fitness center

1. Elegant casual

2. Formal

In the Restaurant

So this means no polo shirts (as they are not collared dress shirts) and no shorts- even nice sip ones.. I will say that I have seem some people get away with dressing in shorts and polo shirts at the Patio Grill at night. “

On our fall Med cruise nice short-sleeve collared shirts, such as Hawaiian shirts, were commonly worn in the MDR in the evenings on non-formal nights.

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app

Attire During the Day

1. Elegant casual

2. Formal

In the Restaurant

Respectfully, our questions aren't what the written instructions say - we've seen those many times in many places - but rather what actually occurs onboard. Do some people wear smart collared shirts that aren't "traditional" dress shirts? Do some people wear quality polos and slacks? My question upthread was 'what did SLSD actually see onboard?'

I really wish I had been more observant. But, the fact that I wasn't more observant is proof that the dress habits of other passengers just doesn't figure in when you are having fun on a cruise.

I would say on our cruise that jackets were worn by a fair number of men every night in the MDR. What was happening in the Colonnade, I do not know as we only had one dinner there.

The Earth and Ocean venue (around the pool) is advertised as the most casual of the dining venues. I wore one of my more casual dresses to dinner there, but my husband still wore his jacket as we were in the Baltic Sea and it was cool weather at night.

I do not recall seeing Hawaiian shirts on men in the MDR in the evening. Perhaps they were worn in the Colonnade, but once again, this was the Baltic. I did see men wearing sweaters over dress shirts to dinner. I also think I saw jackets over nice collared polo shirts.

But the bottom line is this: jackets ARE optional except on formal nights in the MDR.

I want to wear what I want to wear and I don't/won't read any Seabourn dress code standards about shirts. Gimme a break!

That makes ME feel better. It's about me, you see.

Happy and healthy sailing!

What happens onboard is that polo shirts aren't worn in the restaurants in the evening, because they aren't dress code. As for Hawaiian shirts, not seen many of those, maybe for the Caribbean, but not the Mediterranean. A smart shirt is the requirement. You will find that most regular SB' rs wear a jacket, at least when in mdr. For Those who try to 'get away with it' by not following the dress code, (Which is usually someone who hasn't sailed before with SB, so they stick out like a sore thumb), I ask why not just sail a line that suits your needs?

Robisan, so sorry I misunderstood and quoted the actual dress code that Chairsin previously cited, and not some of the limits of what people can actually get away with, e.g., in particular as far as polo shirts go.

I tend to look around a lot at people near me at dinners, and have seen everything from very nice polos, everyday golf resort polos, not so nice faded polos that were too tight, and Tommy Bahana style and upscale Hawaiian shirts both in the MDR and Colonnade during particularly warm weather at dinner on a few people, and a handful of people in hoodies and down vests in the Colonnade and patio grill in cold Norway, and they were not thrown out. I never saw anyone rejected due to dress, unlike on SS ( where DH learned the hard way by insisting not to take a jacket but just wore a designer shirt with long sleeves and tie to dinner and was sent away), and on HL Europa they also had a big dress code sign before entering the MDR.

So I would say you can get away with a polo at dinner on SB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tilly and Catlover,

Thanks to both of you. It's fascinating (and maddening) to get two completely opposite observations on what actually occurs onboard. To be clear - It's not about seeing 'what I can get away with,' but rather trying to understand what is customary and usual in practice. Frankly, following markham's advice looks to be the best option.

Catlover, I have never seen polos in the mdr at dinner, only if covered by a jacket. The majority have been seen in the day for me, but people always seem to want to push it, then when this, along with a thousand other minutiae they have pushed contributes to an overall slip in standards, they complain!

Look guys, there is a sticky thread up the top of the page headed Dress Code. It already features over 970 varying and disparate views on the subject. Please do not keep inventing new threads simply to hack over the same subject matter again and again. PLEASE(n)(n)(n)

Does the shirt have to be a dress or business shirt or is a collared smart open neck shirt also acceptable ( not a polo)? I mean acceptable to the maitre d' , not the self appointed dress code police. 😊

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

There is a whole long long long thread in a dress code sticky at the top of this board which endlessly discusses these questions.

Just to be clear... markham in post 10 was being sarcastic. He believes that Seabourn’s dress code does matter and so he follows it routinely. He respects the brand, the product, and the passengers and crew by adhering to these standards in such a way.

So in practice that means no jeans in the MDR, collared shirt with/without jacket as so specified, and no gym wear or shorts in the bars after 6 pm.

It’s not “about me”. It’s about us. And the “gimme a break” and “it’s all about me” lines might work among a bunch of teenagers in their world. But it won’t travel in the international setting that attracts passengers to Seabourn. Hopefully its self-selected cruisers have enough common sense to see the tradeoffs and how this expectation delivers value to them in this luxury setting.

Of course, there are other cruise lines where dress codes are more or less important to their brand. Seems to me a logical fit if you like what you see across the board and can thereby make your own personal choice.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I am beginning to see the wheedling about "can I please wear a polo shirt in the MDR" and "do I really have to bring a jacket onboard" as a bit of immaturity. These are grown men we are talking about--who presumably know what to wear to a nice white table cloth sort of restaurant. If you don't want to bring a jacket, I agree with others that perhaps this is the wrong cruise line for you. It really is that simple. Actually, I envy men who have a far easier time dressing appropriately for dinner than women---slacks, collared shirt, and optional jacket. It's really simple.

Thing is ...... "the times they are a changing".

Up until 1998, I wore a suit, shirt and tie everyday for work. We all did. Then we went 'business casual' (or should that be business sloppy?) and, with the exception of a couple of clients, my suits gathered dust in the closet.

So we have a changing demographic and cruisers who don't see why they should wear a jacket - or even a shirt - on-board when they don't have to wear one in their professional lives.

Sooner or later - and whether we like it or not - Seabourn and the other luxury lines are going to accommodate this new demographic because they will become their primary market.

Respectfully, our questions aren't what the written instructions say - we've seen those many times in many places - but rather what actually occurs onboard. Do some people wear smart collared shirts that aren't "traditional" dress shirts? Do some people wear quality polos and slacks? My question upthread was 'what did SLSD actually see onboard?'

I would hope you follow the stated dress code instead of what you can get away with. Sometimes the Mater’d is not noticing or decides not to make a scene by sending someone back to your stateroom to get properly dressed. Do you want to be that person?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK. So let's talk demographics--which is a term used here quite a lot--but never entirely defined as to how it is being used when applied to SB passengers. Are you talking about an age demographic here? Inevitably, the older SB passengers will become too old to cruise and younger generations will take their place. When that happens, a lot of things will change.

But, right now, I think most SB passengers are comfortable and happy with the dress code the way it is. I will admit that in most cases, tuxes are not worn on formal night and suits or even blazers with ties reign. And I don't take a real cocktail dress. Like many other women, I wear a simple black dress and dress it up a bit with jewelry.

Edited by SLSD

I would hope you follow the stated dress code instead of what you can get away with. Sometimes the Mater’d is not noticing or decides not to make a scene by sending someone back to your stateroom to get properly dressed. Do you want to be that person?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish to follow whatever is customary and usual in real life onboard, which is all I sought to ascertain and is neither wheedling or immature. Indeed, precisely to the contrary, it is an expression of desire to keep within the confines of what is socially acceptable in real life onboard.

I'd also associate myself with Roxburgh's comments above. Here in metropolitan California there are many fine restaurants where a quality collared non-dress shirt and slacks are perfectly acceptable, sometimes with a blazer or sport coat on top. Nobody is offended if buttons don't go all the way down a shirt front as long as the look is clean and sharp. That is the current elegant casual here. People used to this culture chafe at the idea that it is somehow too slovenly for every public square inch of a SB ship every day after 6pm.

Robisan, so sorry I misunderstood and quoted the actual dress code that Chairsin previously cited, and not some of the limits of what people can actually get away with, e.g., in particular as far as polo shirts go.

I tend to look around a lot at people near me at dinners, and have seen everything from very nice polos, everyday golf resort polos, not so nice faded polos that were too tight, and Tommy Bahana style and upscale Hawaiian shirts both in the MDR and Colonnade during particularly warm weather at dinner on a few people, and a handful of people in hoodies and down vests in the Colonnade and patio grill in cold Norway, and they were not thrown out. I never saw anyone rejected due to dress, unlike on SS ( where DH learned the hard way by insisting not to take a jacket but just wore a designer shirt with long sleeves and tie to dinner and was sent away), and on HL Europa they also had a big dress code sign before entering the MDR.

So I would say you can get away with a polo at dinner on SB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure what the big hullabaloo is with certain readers hereto. REGENT and OCEANIA don't have a problem with nice polos/casual shirts/linen shirts etc. These fall into their country club style without issue. So what's the big deal? (We have established that a jacket isn't necessary save for formal nights)

Ok. I apologize for my comments. I wasn't just thinking of your posts but of all the others I have read on similar topics. Truthfully, I think you will be fine with a low key dressier polo shirt with a blazer or sport coat on top. I can't be sure because I just wasn't observing closely, but I do believe I did see some men with that combination in the MDR. I now understand that you have no objection to bringing a jacket and wearing it--but are wondering if you can dress as you might in a similar restaurant in your everyday life. I think you can.