Seabourn Cruise Line

Read Seabourn Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Seabourn Cruises Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:50 PM.
Cheshire
88 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Have seen reports about Pool Deck floor lifting.

Is anyone on Sojourn at the moment who can say whether there is a problem? We are due to travel in December and would like to know if it might affect sitting out on Pool Deck.

Thanks
West Hollywood, Ca
1,719 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
They’ve placed potted plants where the worst of the warping is, but you know the way these things go....during our trip on Sojourn which ended in May, the warping continued to progress gradually.
They’re trying to do what they can, but every fix that they tried while I was onboard failed. The deck needs to be completely reinstalled.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next:
Odyssey, Athens-Barbados 10/18
Recent :
Seabourn Sojourn: Capetown-Hong Kong 2/11/18, 72 days
Seabourn Encore. Athens to Singapore 12/4-1/7/17
Seabourn Encore : Rome- Rome 7/17
Tucson,Arizona
4,715 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
By my count the recent repair attempt is the fifth unsuccessful effort to repair the damage allegedly caused by an incident during the December dry dock. Certainly it should be obvious to Seabourn that superficial decking replacement is not sufficient to fix the underlying damage to the substructure. And a major repair like that certainly cannot be performed while the ship is full of passengers and operational. I hate to say it it but I’m afraid at point they may decide they will have to bite the bullet and cancel a cruise. Obviously those of us with upcoming Sojourn cruises (including us with a December cruise booked) hope it won’t be our cruise. But frankly I’m not sure they have any other option. Surly the ship cannot sail for another few years until the next drydock with warping and bouncing boards and pink ooze from the adhesive covering part of the decking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Sedona, Arizona
2,046 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Chairsin
By my count the recent repair attempt is the fifth unsuccessful effort to repair the damage allegedly caused by an incident during the December dry dock. Certainly it should be obvious to Seabourn that superficial decking replacement is not sufficient to fix the underlying damage to the substructure. And a major repair like that certainly cannot be performed while the ship is full of passengers and operational. I hate to say it it but I’m afraid at point they may decide they will have to bite the bullet and cancel a cruise. Obviously those of us with upcoming Sojourn cruises (including us with a December cruise booked) hope it won’t be our cruise. But frankly I’m not sure they have any other option. Surly the ship cannot sail for another few years until the next drydock with warping and bouncing boards and pink ooze from the adhesive covering part of the decking.

Are you on the December 11 cruise?
139 Posts
Joined May 2018
Sojourn embarks October 15th on a 128-day Los Angeles to Cape Town itineracy, so taking her out of service during this period would be problematic to impossible. Realistically, it's scuttle the last scheduled Alaska cruise or put it off until next year post Cape Town arrival.
Tucson,Arizona
4,715 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
(Yes, Roxburgh you and your lovely wife will have to share the ship with us! Also our fun friend “C” whom you also met on our recent cruise will be on as well. )

As to what Seabourn will do about the decking I agree it is a conundrum. If they do decide to cancel a cruise to complete the work properly not sure how they will chose. I will say that on the west coast they have the option of shipyards in both the Seattle and LA areas.

398 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
I agree, the only way to fix this properly is to remove the whole wooden deck and re-lay it correctly without any leaks. It’s the water that has seeped between the wood and the steel underneath that’s causing the problem. Working around the clock the project could possibly be done in a week, but realistically it will take longer. It’s a noisy, messy job (as we saw during the Japan-Vancouver crossing) so trying to do it while the ship is in service just isn’t practical.

Seabourn has a real scheduling problem and it seems to me that the only practical option will be to cancel a forthcoming cruise and upset a lot of people.
Sedona, Arizona
2,046 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Chairsin
(Yes, Roxburgh you and your lovely wife will have to share the ship with us! Also our fun friend “C” whom you also met on our recent cruise will be on as well. )

As to what Seabourn will do about the decking I agree it is a conundrum. If they do decide to cancel a cruise to complete the work properly not sure how they will chose. I will say that on the west coast they have the option of shipyards in both the Seattle and LA areas.

Well, that is exciting. It is going to be the 'fun' crowd on board.
is everything.
324 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Robisan
Sojourn embarks October 15th on a 128-day Los Angeles to Cape Town itineracy, so taking her out of service during this period would be problematic to impossible. Realistically, it's scuttle the last scheduled Alaska cruise or put it off until next year post Cape Town arrival.
Boarding her March 5 in CT. Seabourn had better have fixed this problem by then.
Tucson,Arizona
4,715 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
My understanding is that during drydock a cargo container was inadvertently placed onto the deck. This is what I was told when we were on in February by a fellow passenger who is usually in the know. So obviously I can’t say for sure that this is what happened.

398 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
That’s what we heard too. There’s a small gap between the teak boards and the steel deck beneath. That’s where the water has seeped. Placing (dropping?) very heavy objects like shipping containers there will almost certainly crack the seals and/or the wooden boards themselves.

Diagnosing the problem is easy. Fixing it will be easy too. Finding time in the busy schedule to carry out the work will be much more difficult.
San Francisco
655 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
According to an officer on Ovation at the moment, Sojourn's pool deck will be fixed in dry dock next year. (She didn't specify the month.)
Dallas, TX
795 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Do you think this will discourage some from booking a cruise on Sojourn? Of course most potential passengers would not know about the issue.
Sedona, Arizona
2,046 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by SLSD
Do you think this will discourage some from booking a cruise on Sojourn? Of course most potential passengers would not know about the issue.
I was on Sojourn in Feb/March when it was already a problem and have booked Sojourn for Dec/Jan this year.

For us it is a minor irritation. We generally only use the pool deck when eating lunch or dinner at the Patio Grill and we don't do that every day.
36 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by Roxburgh
I was on Sojourn in Feb/March when it was already a problem and have booked Sojourn for Dec/Jan this year.

For us it is a minor irritation. We generally only use the pool deck when eating lunch or dinner at the Patio Grill and we don't do that every day.
The December and January cruise is going to be a very hot cruise, with many people wanting to use the pool deck. It will be dreadful if it isn't useable by then!
Sedona, Arizona
2,046 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by 2seabournsailors
The December and January cruise is going to be a very hot cruise, with many people wanting to use the pool deck. It will be dreadful if it isn't useable by then!
Maybe so but it isn't the only space on the ship. There is Deck 5, Deck 6 in the bows, Deck 7 behind Seabourn Sq., Deck 9 above the pool deck and Deck 11. There are also our private verandas.

And, in my opinion, there isn't enough shade on the pool deck for those hot days.
398 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
The only time it became a major inconvenience to us was when the repair work noise and dust prevented use of the Patio Grill and Bar. Apart from a few hardy souls the pool and hot tubs weren’t used, nor did anyone sit around the pool because the weather was too cold and wet.

In warmer weather obviously there will be more demand and if no work is being done then a few spongy/uneven areas shouldn’t prevent you sitting by the pool, but as Roxburgh says, there are plenty of alternative places to work on your trophy tan*

* Joke.