Acme Oyster House

Nadersmom

Can anyone tell me if Acme Oyster House has a kids menu. We went last year during our pre cruise stay and really enjoyed it but it was just adults.

This year we will have our son who gives new meaning to the words "picky eater". I can't find online if there is a kids menu, hopefully one that includes some chicken fingers or nuggets as he won't touch seafood :(

We will be with 2 other families as well for a total of 12 people including 6 kids. The other kids may not be as picky, though I doubt they'll want to eat the type of stuff us adults are looking forward to such as the char grilled oysters.

Can anyone tell me if Acme Oyster House has a kids menu. We went last year during our pre cruise stay and really enjoyed it but it was just adults.

This year we will have our son who gives new meaning to the words "picky eater". I can't find online if there is a kids menu, hopefully one that includes some chicken fingers or nuggets as he won't touch seafood :(

We will be with 2 other families as well for a total of 12 people including 6 kids. The other kids may not be as picky, though I doubt they'll want to eat the type of stuff us adults are looking forward to such as the char grilled oysters.

Here is the menu for the quarter. I called them for you No they do not have a child's menu.

http://www.acmeoyster.com/menu_fq

Here is the menu for the quarter. I called them for you No they do not have a child's menu.

http://www.acmeoyster.com/menu_fq

You actually called them to check for me? That's so nice!! THANK YOU for going that extra mile to help. Most appreciated :D

Darn it. Was looking forward to some more Char grilled oysters. I've heard Deanies is good and has a childrens menu. Wonder if they have the chargrilled oysters.

thanks again!

You actually called them to check for me? That's so nice!! THANK YOU for going that extra mile to help. Most appreciated :D

Darn it. Was looking forward to some more Char grilled oysters. I've heard Deanies is good and has a childrens menu. Wonder if they have the chargrilled oysters.

thanks again!

No Deanies does not.

You might like to try here. They have grilled oysters and things kids would eat...pizza, pasta. Its a real local place.http://www.yelp.com/biz/katies-restaurant-and-bar-new-orleans

You can get there on the streetcar. (See map) Go early..it gets crowded.

Any other questions..ask.

No Deanies does not.

You might like to try here. They have grilled oysters and things kids would eat...pizza, pasta. Its a real local place.http://www.yelp.com/biz/katies-restaurant-and-bar-new-orleans

You can get there on the streetcar. (See map) Go early..it gets crowded.

Any other questions..ask.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Didn't Katies appear on Diners Drive ins and Dives?

There are so many places I'd love to try. But its going to be difficult with my picky eater.

Last trip we stopped by a place called Star Steak and Lobster House before our flight home and DH just loved it.

Drago's (in the Hilton hotel) invented char-grilled oysters, and there are none better. They have a kid's menu too.

I need to look at that. We thought about Dragos before but I didnt know if it was kid friendly or not.

Thanks for the tip!!!!

OK, so Katies IS the one that was on Diners Drive Ins and Dives

The food pics and the menu look outstanding. How am I supposed to pick! LOL

Now I have to look at Dragos. Anyone know, are they on the more expensive side? (with the understanding that N.O. is tourist town and food can get pricy anyway) The other two families with us have 2 and 3 kids. Want to be sure it's affordable.

OK, so Katies IS the one that was on Diners Drive Ins and Dives

The food pics and the menu look outstanding. How am I supposed to pick! LOL

Now I have to look at Dragos. Anyone know, are they on the more expensive side? (with the understanding that N.O. is tourist town and food can get pricy anyway) The other two families with us have 2 and 3 kids. Want to be sure it's affordable.

Link for menu for Dragos:

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/menu_dragos_2012.pdf

Personally, I'd do a twofer... a street car ride and go to Katies!! THEN walk about three blocks and go here for dessert (see map):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/angelo-brocato-new-orleans

Then its and easy return to downtown on street car.

You get a great meal and get to see some more of the city. You can't loose.

Link for menu for Dragos:

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/menu_dragos_2012.pdf

Personally, I'd do a twofer... a street car ride and go to Katies!! THEN walk about three blocks and go here for dessert (see map):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/angelo-brocato-new-orleans

Then its and easy return to downtown on street car.

You get a great meal and get to see some more of the city. You can't loose.

Dragos does look wonderful, though I think the pricing may be out of range for the other two families with all those kids.

Personally, I agree, Katies looks like the place! Now I have to convince the others. So, does the streetcar stop on crossroad of canal and the street Katies is on? Or do we have to be sure and stop on a specific street and walk? How long is the ride there? 5 or 10 minutes?

Dragos does look wonderful, though I think the pricing may be out of range for the other two families with all those kids.

Personally, I agree, Katies looks like the place! Now I have to convince the others. So, does the streetcar stop on crossroad of canal and the street Katies is on? Or do we have to be sure and stop on a specific street and walk? How long is the ride there? 5 or 10 minutes?

Some basic information: You can use either the canal/city park streetcar or the canal/cemeteries streetcar either way. I pulled up the former.

http://www.norta.com/Maps_Schedules/SystemMap/IndividualMap/index.html?ID=48#

See this link for any additional info. needed.

Street car .... from canal st./river +/- 20 minutes.

Yes, it stops at the cross street you need ... N. Telemachus (three blocks lakebound..the way you will be going..from Canal and Jeff Davis). You should see the building when you get out of the street car. Then walk one block on North Telemachus (south is on the other side of Canal st.) a voila', you are there! This is a very local place well off the normal tourist route. You will be very satisfied. Also, walk four blocks ..to Carrollton, the way the streetcar was going ...and get some italian dessert!! It is a safe area.

You can get the canal/city park streetcar on North Carrollton for an easy return to downtown.

Some basic information: You can use either the canal/city park streetcar or the canal/cemeteries streetcar either way. I pulled up the former.

http://www.norta.com/Maps_Schedules/SystemMap/IndividualMap/index.html?ID=48#

See this link for any additional info. needed.

Street car .... from canal st./river +/- 20 minutes.

Yes, it stops at the cross street you need ... N. Telemachus (three blocks lakebound..the way you will be going..from Canal and Jeff Davis). You should see the building when you get out of the street car. Then walk one block on North Telemachus (south is on the other side of Canal st.) a voila', you are there! This is a very local place well off the normal tourist route. You will be very satisfied. Also, walk four blocks ..to Carrollton, the way the streetcar was going ...and get some italian dessert!! It is a safe area.

You can get the canal/city park streetcar on North Carrollton for an easy return to downtown.

Thanks Bayou Boy. Katies sounds like just what I was looking for. You've been a great help! Hopefully if it's not really in the normal tourist route, it wont have the lines like the other places. :rolleyes: But then again, we will be down on Nov 2nd, during Voodoo Fest so maybe it will be crazy after all

• 4 weeks later...

Another suggestion...

There's a Popeye's on Canal. Take the picky eater to Popeye's for chicken strips and then walk over to Acme's.

2nd suggestion

My nephew thinks he's picky. LOL!! He'll eat anything if we tell him it's chicken. So from pork chops, to beef, to fish - everything is labeled chicken so he'll eat it. It works like a charm but he's 7 and doesn't know the difference yet. :D

Another suggestion...

There's a Popeye's on Canal. Take the picky eater to Popeye's for chicken strips and then walk over to Acme's.

2nd suggestion

My nephew thinks he's picky. LOL!! He'll eat anything if we tell him it's chicken. So from pork chops, to beef, to fish - everything is labeled chicken so he'll eat it. It works like a charm but he's 7 and doesn't know the difference yet. :D

That's actually not a bad idea. LOL We could get him something and then he could just have something to drink, maybe an appetizer or something when we eat.

Ralph & Kacoo's has oysters. They do a great Oysters Rockefeller. I don't really like oysters but I do eat those. They also have them raw and Chargrilled. They have a kids menu too.

Ralph & Kacoos was actually on my list of possible places to eat. How's the Non Picky Eater's food in general? I have read very mixed reviews about them.

Right now, we will be arriving in N.O. around 6 pm and will probably want to go eat somewhere. I'm guessing there will be a wait just about everywhere, especially by that time. Would Ralph & Kacoos be a good place for that time of day? Better chance of not having a long long wait? Or would it be the same as all the others?

We will then have the next day in N.O. all day. Was thinking of the following.....

Thursday evening...... Deanies or Ralph & Kacoos

Friday for breakfast......Ruby Slipper to try the Eggs Blackstone or the Bananas Foster. Do they have bisquits and gravy? I've heard it mentioned but not seen it on the menu.

The others in our group should arrive sometime mid morning on Friday. So for dinner, maybe we'll go a little early to avoid too much of a rush. We went to Acme last year around 2 pm and it was already packed. Would love to try Katies, but everyone will have to take the trolley (or streecar, whichever it's called, there seems to always be an argument about that :-) ) Early dinner seems best.

Maybe we'll try Katies on Thursday Evening and Deanies on Friday. Don't know the size of Katies but assuming they are smaller than Deanies and we'll have a much larger crowd going on Friday.

Bring on the suggestions! Breakfast and Dinner. I want to hear them all! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Zy

Also have read some fairly positive reviews on Daisy Dukes for breakfast.

I'm thinking for breakfast it's a toss up between

Camellia Grill (downtown, not on Carrolton) for the whole "diner" experience with our son

Ruby Slipper (Magazine St)

and Daisy Dukes on Chartrues St

Still trying to figure out about dinners. Katies food sounds fantastic. but I want to try Deanies as one of those "must have at least once" while in N.O.

Daisy Duke's is really yummy! Also, you can sometimes get coupons on resturant dot com and groupon for some of the French quarter restaurants and also Audubon Institute. That should help with the budget!! We love doing day trips to the quarter with our boys! I also check for coupons before going and save lots $$$. Have fun!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived